Motivationally Deficient last couple years (Read 546 times)

Okay, I think my brother's helped me out some by convincing me to try a marathon this spring. Spring 2010 is really my last decent training, now I'm having trouble getting out the door at -17 for a long run. When did I become such a wuss?

Help!

Feeling the growl again

If it motivates you great, but is jumping to a marathon this spring after 2 years of no real training the best idea?  You'd have a carrot for a whole year if you aimed for it in 2013 and used this year to go after some goals at shorter distances as you worked your way into shape...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Great idea, but there's no way I'm going to keep running consistently that long. I'm also not really planning on a crazy aggressive run, I may end up just pacing my brother - his goal pace is about my easy pace.

Oh, and I've had fits and starts of decent training, played plenty of soccer, and other than the first month after my son was born and the month I was living in a tent I haven't stopped completely at any point.

On the plus side, I went out and ran my 20K, it wasn't hard once I got out the door. And I've given up on running good 10K's, which is the only PB I think I'd have much trouble matching even though it's by far my worst distance. I can't even match my split times from my best ½.

BeeRunB

Okay, I think my brother's helped me out some by convincing me to try a marathon this spring. Spring 2010 is really my last decent training, now I'm having trouble getting out the door at -17 for a long run. When did I become such a wuss?

Help!

I became a wuss when I got a treadmill. Cool

Motivation can diminish at times.

It's a journey.

--Jimmy

So, a couple weeks into this thing, and I've been stupidly aggressive, but still feel good. I did a long run of 25.5km in 2:08:21 yesterday

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/319f176a9d68431a8baf4a175e114309/workouts/60696be322c5438ab091ff3c328680da

I looked back at my training before my best race (½ marathon in Sept 2009 in 1:19:08) and realized that I was not as well trained at that point as I remembered. It was really 7 weeks training including a cut-back week and a taper. weekly km of 26,52,67,66,47,103,80,41, 28 (race & 1 easy run)

Spaniel, you're probably right, but I have a long and proud (stupid? ) history of jumping into things, I think even for the extra preparation that should go into a marathon, if I can keep on the track I'm on this'll be as prepared as I've ever been for a race.

By no decent training I was still doing workouts 5 days a week  through most of that time. just not all running workouts and playing soccer with the kids team I coached 3 days a week last  2 summers. I don't log stuff as religiously when I'm not training hard. A carrot in 2013 is great, and I do have a plan to run that same marathon again if I do at all decently, but one race to get me through 2 curling seasons and a soccer season without distraction to another sport is not good planning for me. I've been quite active, but haven't been even following the loose guidelines that I call training plans.