Anyone had this? (Read 336 times)

For some reason about 2-3 weeks ago the top of my knees started hurting.  It's not in the joint, it feels like the ligaments right above my kneecap.  I did just get new shoes, but they were exactly the same brand and size as my previous ones.  I have not increased my mileage dramatically or anything.  I run 25-30 miles per week.  Am I just overtraining or something?

Don't carry 10,000 songs in your hand...protect them...

The "stiff" one works best for me...

runlikeagirI

Same brand and size, but are the new shoes the same model? If so, are they also the same version?

Yep, everything exactly the same except the color

RunNow

At 25-30 miles you're definitely not overtraining. May just need to break in the shoes. Or get a kneecap replacement operation.

I think I'll just run through it...and consider a knee replacement later!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Have you changed running surfaces at all? More hills or more gravel or more sidewalks?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

When it started I was travelling in Maine at Acadia National Park and ran 3 days straight - each run was pretty much all uphill

bap

Deep tissue massage will fix it.

Certified Running Coach
                  Crocked since 2013

Member Since 2008

Sounds like the shoes.  Even though they are the same, sometimes you get a bad pair. Take them back before you put too many miles on them

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Is that area of pain in the vicinity of Patellar Tendonitis? That can take effect from the landing on uneven surfaces that come from running up and downhill.

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

It's actually on the top of the knee right above the kneecap - patellar tendonitis is below the knee, correct?  Where the kneecap connects to the shin bone?

Jon the Freshman

Your quad tendon attaches above the knee where you are having problems. I've had similar issues whenever I increase speed work or hill work, basically whenever I'm putting more strain on my quads to propel up a hill or quicken my stride and knee lift. Since you're on your toes more with the uphill running, downhill also follows I presume which tires your muscles, putting more strain on the tendon, its causing you to take more stress over the top of the knee joint rather than through it which has caused the irritation.  I suggest doing some leg extension exercises with stretching and rolling and of course ice if needed.

Thanks so much.  I figured as much and will do that.

Jon the Freshman

To tell if its truly quadriceps tendonitis as opposed to patellar squat down on one leg with your knee over your foot. Have your upper body supported by holding on to a rail or something sturdy and just increase pressure until you feel where the strain is. Above the knee=quad Below=Patellar.  All of what I'm saying also relies entirely on whether or not your kneecap is riding through the joint smoothly. Most likely it is.

It's most definitely above the kneecap.  Many moons ago I was a competitive weightlifter and would have similar pain (although worse) after heavy squats.

It's just feels like a strain more than anything.  I use weights 2-3 times per week too and have increased my leg exercises a bit to strengthen my legs more, along with ice and stretching.  I think I can work through it OK.

Thanks everyone for your help.