2013 Sub-3:30 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 1384 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

How do I get past this feeling that there is no way I can run that fast?

justdoit

How do I get past this feeling that there is no way I can run that fast?

When I race, I pick some powerful words and talk to myself when getting difficult, such as: I am strong. I can do it. Also I find it is useful to imagine all my friends cheering for you.

During the training, sometimes in the middle of the run, it becomes hard. But when I push through (adjust breathing, changing to bigger steps and slower pace,etc. to change the variation for about a minute) and keep going and focusing, gradually the hard moment just disappears. I don't know if you have this experience or not.

Good luck.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Julia1971

mStuartm, Cool that it'll be your first marathon.  Keep us posted!

Anonymous, The thing is - you don't have to believe you can run that fast to run that fast.  Smile  +1 to Just Do It.

Anonymous Guest

Thanks, you guys. I guess I didn't think I could do what I did in my last couple races either, until I did it. So why should this marathon be any different? I'll just do it! Sounds so reasonable when you put it that way.

Now on to my next taper-induced freak out.....

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

novastrider

Thanks, you guys. I guess I didn't think I could do what I did in my last couple races either, until I did it. So why should this marathon be any different? I'll just do it! Sounds so reasonable when you put it that way.

Now on to my next taper-induced freak out.....

i get like that before any race.  just nerves i guess.  you'll surprise yourself, wait and see.

running since 2010. PR: 5k 21:44, 10k - 44:33 42.2k - 3:51 2013 Goals 5k - sub 21:00, 10k - sub 45:00, 21.1k - 1:45, 42.2k - 3:20

average_runner

Aiming for sub 3:30 this year in New York.  Previous best time was 3:42 last year in Dublin, with 10 weeks specific marathon training but had a small base before hand, ie 20-24 miles a week.

This year I have step things up , averaging 3-36 miles a week.

PB's have improved this year for 10k, gone from 44:30 to 42:06 and for 4 miles 28:17 to 27:15.

Will start specific training for marathon in June.

Put down 3:29 for predicted time, anyone know what wave i be in?

I've been running half marathons for the past year now, and finally hit my goal there, so I'm going to try to make the jump to the full marathon.  I'm going to try my first 1 this fall, and am hoping to go under 3:30 (really I'm hoping to be closer to 3:15 to 3:20).  I haven't registered yet, but the planned race is the Akron Marathon in late September.  I have to admit, I'm a little nervous about making the jump to the full.

I'm going to try my first 1 this fall, and am hoping to go under 3:30 (really I'm hoping to be closer to 3:15 to 3:20).  I haven't registered yet, but the planned race is the Akron Marathon in late September.  I have to admit, I'm a little nervous about making the jump to the full.

Mnyce, Akron is a tough first time course, but if you're willing to get your mileage up a bit, a 3:30 is entirely within your grasp so long as you get some of those long runs under your belt.

Akron was my first as well, and it was a total disaster, but I was far less experienced a runner at that time than you are now. My goal was 3:30as well, I went out a tad slow, and attempted to make up for it on the back half which is the difficult section of Akron's course. Total meltdown, for a whole bunch of reasons. The following May, I went to Pittsburgh and hit 3:28, and felt great - at a similar fitness level, just much smarter running.

I run with a group every saturday from the greater Akron area. Nearer to the Akron marathon, we go out for a couple 20-milers on the course and typically the group settles into a 8:15-8:45 pace. If ever you want to join in on the group run, shoot me a PM.

After my first experience, I recommend first-time marathoners just aim to finish, but you've done some strong racing already, so I think the goal is reasonable. Keep up the good work and I think you'll nail it, building the endurance on those long runs will be crucial. (I know the weakest part of my running is a lack of endurance over 15 or so miles - and a big part of that is a shallow base.)

Good luck.

Modified after reviewing your log a bit more.

Jason, Ugh, you were so close.  But, congrats on the huge PR!  I hope you're feeling happy with that.

Novastrider, That sounds like a good plan.  McMillan tends to be overly optimistic and something like a half would give you a better sense for your marathon fitness.

Northernman, I'm all in!  What did I just commit to?  3:15-3:18ish?

I am very happy with it, and happy I had reasonably equal splits, and cant complain about a 13 minute improvement in 6 months

Anonymous Guest

Well, the answer to my issue of "I don't know if I can run that pace for that long" is.....not yet. I was on pace until almost 20 then sort of fell apart. I knew by about 15 that it was unlikely - it was getting pretty hard for only mile 15 and my left foot started occasionally cramping. Then miles 18-20 they had to find some miles (rerouted due to superstorm sandy) and we were running on sidewalks, cracked concrete, and narrow paths with lots of turns. Between that and the pace being a little more than I could handle, I kinda fell apart between 19 and 20.

But, I didn't give up or start walking and forced myself to run the last 6 and a half, just at a slower pace (around 9 min miles). Finished in 3:42:15, which is still a 10 minute PR (I had a big goal) and gets me into that BQ-10 registration group (I'm an old lady and my BQ time is 3:55).

I think I can get to 3:35 and possibly down to 3:30, I'm just not there yet. I'll try again at Mohawk Hudson October 13.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Julia1971

Fooey! Mile 20 gets another runner. Hope you're not too disappointed - a 10 minute PR is pretty awesome - and are resting up today.

Well, the answer to my issue of "I don't know if I can run that pace for that long" is.....not yet. I was on pace until almost 20 then sort of fell apart. I knew by about 15 that it was unlikely - it was getting pretty hard for only mile 15 and my left foot started occasionally cramping. Then miles 18-20 they had to find some miles (rerouted due to superstorm sandy) and we were running on sidewalks, cracked concrete, and narrow paths with lots of turns. Between that and the pace being a little more than I could handle, I kinda fell apart between 19 and 20.

But, I didn't give up or start walking and forced myself to run the last 6 and a half, just at a slower pace (around 9 min miles). Finished in 3:42:15, which is still a 10 minute PR (I had a big goal) and gets me into that BQ-10 registration group (I'm an old lady and my BQ time is 3:55).

I think I can get to 3:35 and possibly down to 3:30, I'm just not there yet. I'll try again at Mohawk Hudson October 13.

karen

karen

You still accomplished something important with that BQ-10 -- good job on that!

northernman

Fight The Future

Nice job, Anonymous! 10 minute PR! congratulations!

I'm going to chime in here since I'm aiming for sub-3:30 in the Chicago Marathon in October. Ideally I'd like to see 3:20 or faster, but my current PR is 3:39, so I'll be happy if I can shave 10 minutes off of that.

Nice job hanging tough!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau