mapping - 3 ideas (Read 704 times)

I spent the entire afternoon reviewing programs and sites and this is BY FAR the easiest to use and most powerful one that I ran across. I love the elevation profile and the ease of use in charting a course. * Would it be possible to have routes "snap" to the closest street when plotting a course? * It would be really cool to be able to click a spot on the elevation profile and have the location show up on the map. Say you are plotting a route and want to locate where the big elevation changes are located. * It would be nice to be able to edit the legs of a route. With that said your site makes mapping a course very quick and easy. I have used Streets & Trips for this for 5 years but your interface is so much quicker to use. Thanks for a great site! Taylor
    eric :)

Hi Taylor,
      Would it be possible to have routes "snap" to the closest street when plotting a course?
      This has been requested before and right now, I don't have the necessary data to do this. I know it can be done.
      It would be really cool to be able to click a spot on the elevation profile and have the location show up on the map. Say you are plotting a route and want to locate where the big elevation changes are located.
      This is possible too and it is a good idea. I'll add this to my list of todos.
      It would be nice to be able to edit the legs of a route.
      This is coming soon. Mind if I ask which other sites have you evaluated? What do you like about those sites, and what can be done better on mine? eric Smile
        I am obviously not the openning poster but one thing I miss since I switched from Gmap-Pedometer is the "Last leg" distance. On the same theme as the elvation-map, I would love to be able to click on the map and know what the mileage is. (I know I can add a note when I make the map, but....) This would allow me to more easily estimate how I am doing pace-wise at selected landmarks. I know some programs you can add multiple maps to a page which would be nice. I am really looking forward to the mid-run edit option!
        Pheidippides

Mind if I ask which other sites have you evaluated? What do you like about those sites, and what can be done better on mine? eric Smile
          Hi Eric! Great work on the mapping, I tried: - gmaps pedometer - favouriteRuns I must say that this mapping is good, I do like that on gmaps pedometer you doubleclick to add a point, and you can pan the map, here panning is a pain! But favourite runs has an almost unusable interface, that hides the map away anyway! I didn't get the interface on favouriteRuns (damn my correct spelling Tongue) but your interface was so intuitive. I would love to see (as I mailed you) nike+ integration. I should be getting mine soon and hacking the data out of it in an easy way (and help others do the same) so hopefully runningAHEAD will be *the* one and only site (except that very poor flash based nike site that is too closed) that supports so much. Aside from a 'tweak' in the maps, and fixing the miles / km as shown in various places, that is all I can think of! Smile 8 Ball
          Pheidippides

I take back my point on the mapping, it is the best of them, I realise you can pan by dragging, and add by clicking... so great! Yes

I am obviously not the openning poster but one thing I miss since I switched from Gmap-Pedometer is the "Last leg" distance. On the same theme as the elvation-map, I would love to be able to click on the map and know what the mileage is. (I know I can add a note when I make the map, but....) This would allow me to more easily estimate how I am doing pace-wise at selected landmarks. I know some programs you can add multiple maps to a page which would be nice. I am really looking forward to the mid-run edit option!
              I actually thought about this last night. Wouldn't it be neat if you hover the cursor over the route and it will give you that information? Did I just sign myself up for yet another feature?

Hi Eric! Great work on the mapping, I tried: - gmaps pedometer - favouriteRuns I must say that this mapping is good, I do like that on gmaps pedometer you doubleclick to add a point, and you can pan the map, here panning is a pain! But favourite runs has an almost unusable interface, that hides the map away anyway! I didn't get the interface on favouriteRuns (damn my correct spelling Tongue) but your interface was so intuitive.
                Every site's different when it comes to user interface. I like mine to be clean and simple, although that's becoming much harder to do as I add more buttons to the map interface. The next release will have even more, unfortunately.
                I would love to see (as I mailed you) nike+ integration. I should be getting mine soon and hacking the data out of it in an easy way (and help others do the same) so hopefully runningAHEAD will be *the* one and only site (except that very poor flash based nike site that is too closed) that supports so much.
                I can't check emails at work right now because of new policies. I'll do it tonight when I get home. I too want RunningAHEAD to be the only one that supports all the interfaces Big grin
                Aside from a 'tweak' in the maps, and fixing the miles / km as shown in various places, that is all I can think of! Smile
                What do you mean fixing the miles/km? Can you elaborate? eric Smile