Good Article in Running Times - 12 Mistakes (even experienced) Runners Make (Read 342 times)

npaden

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

mikeymike

I've read Running Times exactly once in the last year--last night in the waiting room at my daughter's dentist's office--and it was this article. Pete Magill is wise.

(I also read the article on Meb which was good too.)

Runners run

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

That was a good read.  Every time I read something like that I start to second guess everything that I'm doing.

Half PR:  1:34 (August, 2012)

Marathon PR:  3:45 (October, 2012)

Next race:  ???

Next Marathon:  2015???

Great article, thanks for posting!

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

ROD in Miami

Actually it's too good an article: I started to score myself on how many of the 12 I'm guilty of but it could depressing so i didn't tally it up.

bhearn

NO ONE SETS OUT TO TRAIN INCORRECTLY

For some reason I had a hard time parsing this correctly. However you start to train, it's not incorrect?? Is this one of the mistakes??

Hmm, I read it as "No one starts their training with the intention of training incorrectly, but runners often do end up making mistakes in their training"...seemed to make sense to me, but I guess I didn't analyze the sentence in great detail...

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

bhearn

Yeah, I got it, it just took me a minute.

I was happy to see I'm actually pretty good about all of these.

MISTAKE 1: START TOO FAST

I'm especially good here. My race pacing is awesome. I haven't gone out too fast in a race since last weekend.

#artbydmcbride

Yeah, I got it, it just took me a minute.

I was happy to see I'm actually pretty good about all of these.

I'm especially good here. My race pacing is awesome. I haven't gone out too fast in a race since last weekend.

Big grin

Runners run

Chris T

Thanks for posting that. I loves me some Pete Magill.

That is a great article.  I am glad to see I have corrected most of those mistakes in my last year of running.

However I did make a BIG mistake a couple days ago that I will call mistake #13....

#13:  I put on some new-skin on nipple #1 and was beginning to put some on nipple #2 before a really long run... All of a sudden I noticed a burning sensation.  Then that burning sensation really got worse, and quickly......  I looked at the bottle and it was not "new skin", it was a bottle of "Compound W" that someone had set out!   (((Talk about Nipples on fire, Jeeeeezus!!!!)))  :-D

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Hoban-Jay

Mistakes !?  Are they kidding!?  These are the 12 key points of training plan!  (Come to think of it, I do get injured 7-8 times a year and my times are getting slower and slower and sower....)

Jan26.2

Excellent article!! Thanks for posting the link.

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

Great article although I am a bit disturbed the guy would stalk me to come up with his material for #5

Chris T

Great article although I am a bit disturbed the guy would stalk me to come up with his material for #5

I was just happy that he didn't include a photo of me.