Brooks Glycerin 9s (Read 2127 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I'm about 30 miles into my new pair of Brooks Glyerin 9s. After wearing several pairs of the Glycerin 8s and loving that shoe, I though I'd love the Glycerin 9s as well. I wore it in the store and it felt fine then (but what can a store-jog tell you about a pair of shoes?), but after a few runs I'm not really liking it. The shoe feels clunky, as if I''ve tied a brick to my feet. I know it takes a little bit of time to break in a new pair of shoes, but these shoes aren't feeling great.

(Now, I can't do a "controlled" experiment, comparing my new shoes to my old shoes, because there are some other factors going on. Am I not liking these shoes because I'm sleeping worse, due to my 7 year old daughter's sleeping problems, and thus running with more body aches and fatigue? Do I not like these shoes because I took an ill-advised month off in May and am running like crap right now? Perhaps ... but the shoes still feel clunky.)

OK, have any of you worn these shoes? If so, what do you think? And, for you who understand shoe technology (I don't), are the Glycerin 8s and 9s significantly different shoes?

Thanks!

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

I know it takes a little bit of time to break in a new pair of shoes

I don't find this to be true with running shoes. They either fit great out of the box or they are probably not a great shoe for me.

but these shoes aren't feeling great.

To me, this means that it's time to find another shoe that you like.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

You may have simply forgotten how the 8s felt like bricks when you first got them. I wore the 7s and couldn't wear the 8s. The 8s and 9s don't look very different to me. Maybe try the Ghost or the Launch if the Glycerin seems too bulky.

Am I doing this right?

You may have simply forgotten how the 8s felt like bricks when you first got them. I wore the 7s and couldn't wear the 8s. The 8s and 9s don't look very different to me. Maybe try the Ghost or the Launch if the Glycerin seems too bulky.

+1 to the Ghost 3.  FWIW

No excuses....

I have been wearing Nike Vomero 3's , 4's and 5's for the last couple years.  I thought I would try something else.  So I got a pair of Glycerin 9s.  Same thing happend to me.  They felt great in the store and for the first couple runs.  Then at 30 miles they turned into bricks.  How can that be?  I went back and got Vomero 6's.  I will not be trying anything new for awhile.  On the bright side the Glycerin 9s, are the most expensive lawn mowing shoes I own.

RLLoving

I wore Glycerin 7  ...  then Glycerin 8  ...  now Glycerin 9.  All feel fine.  Well, I bought the new Glycerin 9 and they hurt my heel.  After a week I went back and they realized they were narrow.  Box had been mismarked.  I wear wide.  12 days ago I started wearing the Glycerin 9 (wide)  ...  and they felt good from the start.  I already have 125 miles on them.

bigfatmike

I wore 3 pairs of Brooks Ghosts. Last month I needed new shoes and the guy at the store talked me into the Glycerin 9 when the new Ghost 4 didn't seem quite right. Mistake. They were uncomfortable bricks. Clunky and tight in the heel. Felt like I was running an extra inch above the pavement.I called Brooks, and they let me mail them back in exchange for a pair of Ghost 4s. It took 25 miles or so to break-in the new model Ghosts, and I needed to replace the laces because they wouldn't stay tied (hint: try flat laces in the color of your choice). But now I'm loving 'em and ran a personal best time today. Too bad about the Glycerins. I wanted to love 'em the way I've loved my Ghosts.

RLLoving

Update.  I bought the Glycerin 9s  thirty days ago.  After yesterday's long run, I now have 302 miles on them.  During the long run I thought I had something stuck on the bottom that was flapping around, so I stopped to remove it.  It was one of the black inlays of the sole.  It had just ripped off.  So now there is a big gap in the heel.  After the run, I looked at the shoe, then the other shoe and it was doing the same.  So I doubt it was a flaw in production.  I think it is the way they were designed.  They just didn't hold up to my mileage.