Back to back half marathons? (Read 1167 times)

RunRepeat

Hey all,

I'm running my first half marathon during Memorial Day weekend.  Super psyched and am planning on taking walk breaks during it in order to help me finish strong.  Well I just found out that there is another half marathon the weekend after near me, and it sounds like it is a super fun one.  It's a women only one, the swag bag is great, and it is on a scenic course.  Would it be the STUPIDEST thing ever to register for it?  

I don't think I would "race" it, just run it for the fun of it.  Would it be too rough on my body, or if I keep an easy/moderate pace do you think it would be okay to do it for the experience?

Thanks for any input.Smile

#artbydmcbride

Of course it depends on lots of things: how long you have been running, how far you usually run, how old you are, what kind of condition you are in.   But it should be fine, especially if you plan to listen to your body and slow down when you need to.  Smile

I myself have raced often at times.

Runners run

vdelrosso

There are racing challenges that have back to back (same weekend) half marathons and full marathons (Goofy Challenge), so people do race like that sometimes.  Is it a smart idea?  Like lleneforward says - it depends.

In your case I would suggest you think long and hard about doing it...  You're running in your first half marathon (so you may not know what you're getting into), and by saying you're planning on taking walk breaks I'm guessing you either haven't been running a long time or you're not used to this kind of distance.  It will take a toll on your body, especially if you're pushing yourself a little, regardless of how fast you end up being.  Doing it again a week later, without proper rest or base training before the races, greatly increases your chance of injury.  This is in no way saying you shouldn't do it, or that you would get hurt, just that you need to really consider what your goals are and if you really think your body can handle it.

Probably not the stupidest thing ever, but probably not the smartest either...

Feeling the growl again

How often do you run 10+ miles?  Any inkling of how beat up your legs may be?  Normally I wouldn't blink at this question, but you're just doing your first and thinking of a fast turnaround....

MTA:  You can always enter and then not run if you don't feel up to it, then you get the swag bag you just have to eat the entry fee.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Hey all,

Well I just found out that there is another half marathon the weekend after near me

I don't think I would "race" it, just run it for the fun of it.  Would it be too rough on my body, or if I keep an easy/moderate pace do you think it would be okay to do it for the experience?

Thanks for any input.Smile

Not BTB if I am reading this right. Two separate  weekends or at least 5 days apart. Do the 1st one as a easy long run and the 2nd a little faster depending on how the body recovers.

spaniel:

How often do you run 10+ miles?  Any inkling of how beat up your legs may be?  Normally I wouldn't blink at this question, but you're just doing your first and thinking of a fast turnaround....

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

coach-T

Ditto on there being so many factors, generally speaking my long run is 9 miles and I have not run a half marathon, I do however do relay running where I would run a combined 20 miles in 3 legs, but my training is more geared for 5ks and 10ks... I also generally slack on running through the winter (just getting back into it) but play some basketball, etc.

Would I do it? Probably not, but I might. It is not going to kill you and if your smart about it you wont get injured. It would really have to be a race I really wanted to do. I also do not generally race unless it is to see how good I can do, so I know I would probably push myself too hard, it would be harder for me to want to pay for a race if I knew I was just going out to jog.

Hope this helps.