2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

danworley

I am in for a sub three this year.  I got under 3:00 for the first time in chicago this year my 25th marathon, so want to carry that momentum to boston this year with a goal of 2:53-2:55. 

Jim, interested in running the Kaiser SF 1/2 in Feb?

Thanks DB. The thread...she is in good hands. Boy, you didn't mess around. December is barely half over and away you go!

I haven't given up completely but am a major long shot to ever see another sub 3. IF I can get HM down to 1:25's by next fall I might give it another shot.  That would be gravy, though. I still find running to be such a rewarding activity that I can't imagine ever not doing it. 

Good luck to everyone as we move towards the new year. Jim

Jim, interested in running the Kaiser SF 1/2 in Feb?

It's either that one or Davis Stampede on same day. Mostly likely it will be Kaiser--it's closer and the course is reputed to be faster. However I really like the races up in Davis. The logistics are so much easier and they do a great all around job. The only catch is that you have to drive almost 2 hours to get there. Are you planning to run Kaiser?

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          I'm definitely in for Kaiser.  Hoping that the big downhill thru the park can get me a PR 
          - the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com
          Purdey

Self anointed title

Well done DB - my goal in Brighton is <2:50.

Debut road marathon, but have run a couple off road.

Good luck to all for 2010, and a BIG thanks to Jim for all the work and advice he put into the original thread (& thanks to DB for taking over the reins).  Jim, I still think you have a good shot at this, a solid winter will I'm sure have you thinking the same thing.

I'm also particularly looking forward to Purdey's marathon debut on the road too - go Purdey!

I'm not yet decided on a marathon next year, but I will try and taking another step off my half time in spring and then look at my options.

Winter well all.

Jim and Alan, yes, I think I am in for Kaiser.  I hope to see 1:26 with the net downhill course.

It's either that one or Davis Stampede on same day. Mostly likely it will be Kaiser--it's closer and the course is reputed to be faster. However I really like the races up in Davis. The logistics are so much easier and they do a great all around job. The only catch is that you have to drive almost 2 hours to get there. Are you planning to run Kaiser?

DoppleBock

Thanks DB. The thread...she is in good hands. Boy, you didn't mess around. December is barely half over and away you go!

I haven't given up completely but am a major long shot to ever see another sub 3. IF I can get HM down to 1:25's by next fall I might give it another shot.  That would be gravy, though. I still find running to be such a rewarding activity that I can't imagine ever not doing it. 

Good luck to everyone as we move towards the new year. Jim

You had put so much into the original thread.  It looked like you had asked someone to take it over for 2010 and I though the best way to say "Thank You" was to pick it up and run.  I sure hope you are still a regular!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

PS to all

My spelling is poor, so please feel free to post any corrections that I need to make

DoppleBock

This is my third Boston so I sort of know what to expect. Note about my last time Boston - after watching the Women's OT together, I edged Dopple Bock (3:06 to his 3:07) in the last marathon he "jogged."

Good luck!

Yes, I am currentlu 0-1 against Roots 

He has since broken most of my PRs - Except the marathon, so I expect big things at Boston!

PS - in 2010 I am taking those PRs back.

el Jeffe

Ha! I haven't even finished my modest 3 week off-season yet. I plan to start training again January 1st. 
                          I use a Garmin in training, but not while racing.  Anyone have HR average (or % max) for a 3hr Marathon?
                          kcam

Hi Thomas

I did wear my HRM for last year's Cal International marathon (2:55).  Here's a link if you want to see the data.  Ignore the first mile max HR as the contacts were not 'wetted' yet.

Link to 2:55 Marathon HRM / Pace data

bhearn

I will be back for my 6th consecutive Boston, but I will not be going for sub-3 there, or likely anywhere in 2010 (conceivably CIM?). After I ran sub-3 there last year I said I was done with hard training, for at least a long while. That's still where I am. If I become convinced I can train up to keep running PRs without running eating my life, I'll pick it up again. *Not* training to run PRs is hard in its own way. 2010 would be the first year without a PR since I started running in 2004.

Edit: Thanks to Jim and all the other participants for making the previous thread so incredibly valuable. I'm not sure I would have made sub-3 otherwise.

Well count me in DB.

My attempt to break 3 will be @ Boston '10.

I fell 18 seconds short my last try @ Rocket City '08.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka