weight loss with marathon training advice (Read 217 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

So I have just booked in my second marathon. It's on 28th September. I have 6 months to get on good shape. I am currently very overweight, 215lb. I ran this marathon 5 years ago in 3:23 weighing 192lb. I peaked at 70mpw. As I am 6 month out I really want to shed the weight first and then get a good 12 or so marathon specific training in. I know I can do it as I am very strict when I have paid to do something.

I just would like some advice how to go about shedding the weight initially. I would like to get down coauthor, to, say 182lbs. Anyone please advise on a plan which will initially she'd my weight and prepare me for the marathon plan.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

#artbydmcbride

Lots of lean protein, veggies and whole grains, and one day a week lift weights.  Oh and lots of running, lots and lots of running. 

Runners run

SillyC

I track calories on myfitnesspal.  It works!  And there's a supportive community there for long distance runners.

Giving yourself six months is a great idea - you'll be able to go slow.   It's hard to lose weight while trying to put in a lot of effort in your training (a bit easier if you're male than female, but I think you're male?).

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Tell someone that if you don't lose 10lbs in 1 month, you will give them $500.  Then do the same for the second month.  Then tell someone that if you gain back 6lbs in the next 4 months you will give them $500.

Pretty much guarantees you'll do it.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

jfa

What Ilene said.

And if it helps, Eric : ) somehow ( I think it's through magic or genius or both )  made a way to make a graph of your weight loss on your Summary page. Might hold you to it more if you see tangible progress and have to log it in..

bingo_jenn

I track calories on myfitnesspal.  It works!  And there's a supportive community there for long distance runners.

Giving yourself six months is a great idea - you'll be able to go slow.   It's hard to lose weight while trying to put in a lot of effort in your training (a bit easier if you're male than female, but I think you're male?).

I'm on MFP.  Which group is the best for long distance runners?

montag

Super Pro Lurker

Tell someone that if you don't lose 10lbs in 1 month, you will give them $500.  Then do the same for the second month.  Then tell someone that if you gain back 6lbs in the next 4 months you will give them $500.

Pretty much guarantees you'll do it.

Not if that someone is an economist. Then they will buy you all of the cakes, cookies, and snacks etc. you want in the hopes of making 500 dollars. Smile