My 2nd 5K and a new PR - yeah. (Read 463 times)

I first took up running last Oct, ran my first 5K in Dec, then ran my first HM in Mar. Now I'm training for my first marathon (in Nov), and ran my 2nd 5K today just for fun to see how I'm doing. It went very well. I beat my old PR by almost 5 min! I ran it in 21:39. Weird splits though - my first mile was 6:50, my 2nd (which was uphill) was in about 7:50, and my last 1.1 miles was at a 6:22 pace. I REALLY pushed HARD at the end - even still, one runner overcame me in the last 2 seconds. But it was fun - not at that very moment! But before and afterwards! Smile The problem now is that next time, it won't be so easy to beat my PR! Undecided
      Joe- Great job PRing by almost 5 minutes in a 5K race! Good luck with the marathon training Smile
        Great race! Smile
        2009: BQ?
          Great job Joe!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Your fast dude! Best on your marathon training. I tried to kill my 5K time today, but my body did not want to push the last 1.1.

Vim

Congratulations! What a great race time. Having someone pass you at the very end can be annoying but somehow we always manage to smile. Big grin

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Having someone pass you at the very end can be annoying but somehow we always manage to smile.
                We don't all manage to smile. I don't smile under those circumstances. If someone passes me at the end of a race, then they make it onto my "List." You don't want to be on The List. If you get on The List, it means that I will keep coming to races looking for you with the single purpose of destroying you and everything you believe in. The only way to get off The List is after I pass you in the last 100 meters of a race with such impunity that the viciousness of the beat-down haunts your dreams. Wink

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Go Pre!

I do share Jeff's Passions for being passed. That said, sub 22:00 for 5K is awesome. It is another great step towards you big M this Fall (hmmm....maybe Autumn is more positive for us runners to say, rather tna Fall : ) Dave
                    Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I particularly like the 'list' idea - very funny.