Paul Ryan Says He’s Run Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 1924 times)

You were being condescending. I was being sarcastic.

I'm not sure I understand the point you are making.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

He says you're smart. Now go back to your chewy pine cone.

I'm not even smart enough to chew on a pinecone without extracting the bug first.

Sheesh.

Hawt and sexy

Wow. Even I am faster than a VP candidate. Sweet. I bet he would be faster if he wore a running skirt.

I'm touching your pants.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This thread now reminds me a bit lot of the Armstrong thread. To make the analogy even better, let's say Ryan only lies because everyone else lies, and Ryan is the fastest liar.

I'm sorry. Palin is faster than Ryan.

Doggone it. I hate fact checkers.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Wow. Even I am faster than a VP candidate. Sweet. I bet he would be faster if he wore a running skirt.

As a side benefit, I bet he'd be more photoblogged too.

Hawt and sexy

Did Palin wear a skirt?

I'm touching your pants.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Did Palin wear a skirt?

Answer here.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Nice one.  Even spectators are in considerable danger.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Wow. Ps. Can somebody remind me why Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Doggone it. I hate fact checkers.

No. The quote was: "We won't have the fact-checkers dictate our campaign."

...which has clearly been demonstrated.

No. The quote was: "We won't have the fact-checkers dictate our campaign."

...which has clearly been demonstrated.

But  a lot of people don't seem to care.    I guess you can just get out there and say whatever you want.  It's beyond frustrating.

- Anya

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I always find it interesting when NPR interviews some supporter of a cause/candidate and ask their reasons for the support.  The supporter often cites something commonly believed by the choir, but known to be untrue.  NPR rolls out: "Well, the non-partisan XYZ organization reported this false."  And this is the point I find fascinating: the supporter's reaction . . . which is usually in the form of "how do I maintain this position when you just invalidated my reason".

Really makes me wonder about the nature of Opinion/Belief and how resilient it is to facts of all kinds (from scientific findings, to "non-partisan" research/opinion, to authoritative sources).

It also usually demonstrates that the named justification for some belief really is not the determinate for the belief, just something easily at hand to answer the question.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Well, that character happens to be one of the smartest financial guys around. He even won a little award for it once. But sure he is biased. That does not mean the concerns he has are wrong. Can you address his concerns about Ryan's budget proposals?

First of all, we need to understand that Krugman is a Keynesian economist, (to simplify, Keyne's was a British economist that believed in government spending to solve economic challenges).  There’s merit to this school of economic thought, so Krugman follows a model that has merit.

From a 30,000 foot fly over macro economic sense, there’s a “need” to increase (or stabilize) Gross Domestic Product (GDP), and there are different ways to do so.

1. Consumer Spending
                            2. Investment Spending
                            3. Exports / Imports relationship
                            4. Government Spending

Consumer spending is stunted in its ability to grow since the unemployment rate is elevated.  It cannot increase back to normal levels easily.

Investment spending is stunted because business sales have decreased, creating compression in their NIAT, making business investments tough and risky.

We are a net importer, and that takes a long time to change due to trade agreements and international relationships

Therefore, by theory, government spending is the quick “key” lever to fixing macro-economic instability.

So, the theory has merit.

In response to Trent, I agree that the Krugman article addresses good concern regarding Republican budget policy.  I think the question I have regarding the Keynesian economic theory (and Krugman’s thoughts) relates to the LONG TERM impacts of government spending.  I fear the Keynesian economic model.  When we have a economic deficit, who buys our debt?  Who owns our debt, and what are our long term obligations for the debt?  We cannot “charge off” the debt as we do with mortgages or credit cards.  In essence, I believe that the USA has slowly entered into arrangements where we’ve become enslaved to another super power.  

That may be destiny, but I believe that right now, there are some Americans that rightfully want to avoid that destiny and are a little PO’d that we’re in that situation for our kids, grandkids, and great grandkids.  Unfortunately, this situation is due to many decades of policy decisions.

That mindset is on both sides of the aisle.  Red and Blue.  Both don’t seem to understand or don’t seem to care to tackle that challenge.  Why?  Because either (1) it doesn’t create votes, or (2) there is no viable solution.

The only apparent solution to the great challenge is to change, and change isn’t going from Democrat to Republican.  Change is radical.  I don’t know what the change consists of, but I doubt that any of the 4 names we’ve heard over the past couple of weeks know the answer, or care to tackle the challenge over the next 10 years.

Peace,

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

you know... call me crazy but I think on a running site it's ok to comment on news when it includes references to running.

or sometimes not even close to running but makes you think about running.  Like this...

http://news.yahoo.com/35-years-later-voyager-1-heading-stars-085821926.html

I realized upon reading this that Voyager costs NASA $0.05 per mile in 1977 dollars, or $0.19 per mile in today's dollars.  Or about what I get on Brooks Adrenalines.  But Voyager is still going so they could end up more efficient than even my 40% off pair I managed to get to $0.15 per mile.