No water bottles provided? (Read 217 times)

Kalsarikännit

I see lots of complaining if the race doesn't provide GUs 

A number of races in California cannot distribute gels as part of the agreement to get a permit. Trail races have become ridiculous with the amount of litter (especially gel tops) on the course. I know I've seen a race or two (although I don't remember which ones now) that have outright banned the use of gels.

It's becoming more common for races to go cup free. I have an amphipod. It is comfortable and I don't even know it is there anymore.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

runmichigan

Many of the trail races in Michigan provide only pitchers of water at the aid stations.  You are required to carry a minimum 20 ounce water bottle.  They refill it for you at the aid stations.

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

Thanks for the other views of this. I didn't name the race as I don't want my ideas to reflect on them. Just because I feel this way doesn't mean they are doing anything wrong.

runmichigan - Michigan is my home state, though I've been living in Taiwan for the last 12 years. I'm from Cheboygan, but all of my family has since relocated to the metro Detroit area. I'm bringing the family back for Christmas (no chance of trail runs) and hopefully again next summer. Where do you do trail runs? Where do you find info for the races you do? One of my sisters and my father are runners, and I'd love to do a trail race with them.

I know many trail races are trying to go green - at least having runners provide their own cups and whatever for food and fluid - and some trying to encourage car pooling.

Until the last few years, I don't remember seeing any trash on trails once away from the trailhead. Now, as a back of packer, there's a few races where I feel like I'm running through a dump (exaggerated).

Our local trail system is a temporary use of local landfill land. The slower it fills, the longer we keep our trails. (they are starting to look into alternative technologies)

When I first started, I asked someone at the LRS about aid stations etc on a particular trail race - like a good newbie and trying to do homework ahead of time based on internet advice. The guy rolled his eyes and told me we don't have aid stations in trail races. And that was true. Best advice I ever got. Makes training and racing easy so I never had to worry about what the race was providing. (Turned out he was in the some usenet group I was so he recognized the symptoms, but we didn't know each other at the time.)

This is also why I was slow when volunteering the first day at the Dome, since it never occurred to me that people would be asking for ice, hot tea and coffee. Had it figured out by the last day (except no one really told me how much coffee to mix)  Wink

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Best Present Ever

A number of races in California cannot distribute gels as part of the agreement to get a permit. Trail races have become ridiculous with the amount of litter (especially gel tops) on the course. I know I've seen a race or two (although I don't remember which ones now) that have outright banned the use of gels.

It's becoming more common for races to go cup free. I have an amphipod. It is comfortable and I don't even know it is there anymore.

I don't understand why they don't make the gel packs differently. Even for people who are careful, it's easy to end up littering the little tops. Seems like there ought to be an engineering solution. I wish more races would go cup-free.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Cliff has a "litter leash" on their gels - I think it's good design that ought to be copied, but perhaps they own it.

I don't understand why they don't make the gel packs differently. Even for people who are careful, it's easy to end up littering the little tops. Seems like there ought to be an engineering solution. I wish more races would go cup-free.

Liz

pace sera, sera