When to Run First Marathon (Read 836 times)

I have been debating whether to go for my first marathon this Fall or to whether to wait until Spring 09 or beyond. I'd like to finish it in 4:00-4:30. If anyone has a moment to glance at my log share thoughts/advice, I'd really appreciate it.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Lane

I don't have much experience, but I would probably work on building my mileage up, as well as the number of days running per week. You're going to want to be running 5-6 times a week before you start a marathon program. I've also been told that you shouldn't worry about a time goal on your first marathon, to just run to finish it, and then work on a particular time on your second marathon.
      JakeKnight

My two cents: I'd have some concerns about both your mileage and your consistency. Can you do it this fall - especially if you get consistent and up the mileage? Sure. And you could possibly hit that 4:30 goal, although I think it would be very close to that, based on your workouts and your half marathon time. If you do it, I'd suggest just running just to finish and not being disappointed with a sub-5 finish. But I think you'd be smarter to start building that consistent base, running 5-7 times per week at a minimum 30-40 miles per week, for the next six months. Then enter a spring marathon. Do that and you'll have more fun, be less likely to get hurt or hate the experience, and probably get down closer to 4:00. Run some 5k/10k and halfs along the way, too.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Depending on how ambitious you are, I think you could get away with a late fall/early winter marathon that's the end of November or sometime in December. Anything earlier than that and I'd worry about over and/or inadequate training. If I was in your situation I would personally start ramping up my base milage, as per JK's reccomendations, and work on improving my half-marathon time for a fall race. After that start building mileage (after proper rest of course) towards the spring marathon!

A Saucy Wench

What they said^^^ more consistancy, less speed work for now, more overall mileage. Form a solid base, then train for spring. And dont worry about time. MTA: I know a lot of people who say they want to finish their first marathon in time X. And really really mean it. While the standard advice is dont run the first one for time, an alternative train of thought would be train like you are training for a marathon but only run HM's until you get times that make your goal not just possible but very reasonable. In this case until your HM time is around 2:00-2:05. It is a lot easier on your body to race multiple HM's than even one marathon.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Thanks very much, guys and gal. In view of this sensible advice, I'm going to put off the marathon to the Spring, get my running up to a consistent 5-7 days a week at 40 mpw and keep it going for a good 6 months. There are actually a few shorter local races I want to run this Fall. Thanks!

Lisa3.1

Thanks very much, guys and gal. In view of this sensible advice, I'm going to put off the marathon to the Spring, get my running up to a consistent 5-7 days a week at 40 mpw and keep it going for a good 6 months. There are actually a few shorter local races I want to run this Fall. Thanks!
                That's what I plan to do too. short race first, then long race. Good Luck.

Double IPA Please!

I have been running consistently for the last year. Have learned so much valuable information here- with some of them being ^^^there.. I have to say, with all that being said, I don't feel ready for a full yet either. Could I be? I think so. Would I enjoy it? Nope- don't think so..I answer to this post, because at one point earlier this summer I could have been talked into doing a fall Full with my mother. However, I decided that while it would be fun to do it with her- it would not be fun to feel like complete and utter shite crap, during and after. So, I'm going to wait until next year at some point and just focus on some shorter distances until then. Good luck!

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Right on Hereford...

I have noticed a curious thing about runners in general: the better the runner, the longer they seem to wait until doing their first marathon. Just look at Ryan Hall, for example. He didn't step up to the marathon distance until just recently, even though he's been a national-level competitor at shorter distances for years. And then look at all the people who attempt a marathon in their first or second years or running. Why is this, I wonder? Maybe it's as simple as having completely different goals. Some people race to race, while others race to finish. Just a comment...no judgments meant!
                      RAer, Good, we can compare notes as we go along. Denise, Yes, I'm also trying to avoid feeling like absolute crap at the end as I'd like to run as a life-long thing. A friend of mine at work, who has run multiple marathons, surprised me with the news that she no longer likes runnning anymore and *may* start doing triathlons. Looking back, I believe she never ran anything *but* marathons. Dakota, Point well taken.

One quick look at your mileage says......WAIT until spring or next fall You dont have strong enough of a base to go the distance and enjoy it......get more consistent and slowly increase your mileage....... You're making a good decision to hold off a while. Wink ......Look at my mileage....and note that the first one I will consider is in late May....if I get my mileage up a lot more.......

Champions are made when no one is watching

Lia's Daddy

I have also been trying to decide when would be the right time for a marathon. Saturday after my 19 mile training run i had sort of an epiphany. I think i am ready. Don't get me wrong, I know that a 19 mile training run is not a marathon! However, I felt amazingly good (went on a five mile hike with wife and kids 2 hours later) and no that longer training run was possible. Anyway I have decided to sign up for a late fall marathon (http://www.battlefieldmarathon.com/). I'm going with the approach I did for my first half which is that my goal is to finish and I'll worry about time later. That being said I would still like to come in under 4 hours. My point was not to hijack the thread but to just say that I think you will know when you are ready.
                          "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen