Runner's Hall Of Shame (Read 1120 times)

Anyone have pizza?

I read a reply on the "The Woman That Started it All" and saw jeffgoblue's mention of Rosie Ruiz. LOL! So here she is. I am going to induct her as the first charter member of the Runner's Hall Of Shame! If anyone can think of anybody else, feel free!
      In 1982, Ruiz was arrested and briefly jailed for stealing $60,000 in cash and checks from a Manhattan real estate firm where she was employed. She spent a week in jail and was given five years' probation. Nineteen months later, after moving home to Florida, she was arrested for arranging to sell two kilos of cocaine to undercover agents in Miami. Ruiz spent 23 days in jail and received two years probation.
      The woman has some SERIOUS issues with honesty!
      2009: BQ?

Anyone have pizza?

Damn! I guess the Boston Marathon was her practice run to run ..... from the law!!!
          In the 2004 Richmond Marathon, James Rhyne finished in the marathon in 2:45:12 and accepted the $250 masters first place prize money check. Alerted by a suspicious runner the next day, it was discovered that Rhyne's split at the half was 1:59. He had no 20-mile split time. They race organizers disqualified him for cheating. I nominate that guy for the Runner's Hall of Shame
            How about the 325 people who cheated the 2005 Marine Corp marathon. They cheated all the people who donated money. Pathetic. http://www.mynextrace.com/Article195.htm

Me and my gang in Breck

How about the 325 people who cheated the 2005 Marine Corp marathon. They cheated all the people who donated money. Pathetic. http://www.mynextrace.com/Article195.htm
              WOW! Thats hard to believe. I can't understand why anyone would want to do that. Why bother even getting out of bed.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

So many cheaters! The only thing I knew about the Rosie Ruiz scandal, until literally yesterday, was the Boston win, but I just finished Kathrine Switzer's book and Ruiz apparently also cheated in NYC, finishing in the top 10. Then she went on to Boston. And she still swears she didn't cheat.
                2008 Goals
              • Run 1250 miles
              • Get down to 135!
              • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
              • zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...I just finished Kathrine Switzer's book and Ruiz apparently also cheated in NYC, finishing in the top 10. Then she went on to Boston. And she still swears she didn't cheat.
                  A bit OT, but I should be receiving that book any day from Amazon and several of us are planning to discuss it once we've all had a chance to read it. You should join us: www.runningahead.com/groups/read_run/ What I've wondered with these stories of people skipping portions of courses is how no one sees them drop off the course and then re-emerge? Wouldn't someone be paying close enough attention to the runners to notice this? They must be counting on this anonymity to do such a thing. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You know ,that DID piss me off, until my place at MCM jumped by a couple hundred Wink
                    2009: BQ?
                      I guess with Boston being so huge...all those spectators...it's easy to blend in the crowd. Although today it'd be basically impossible to cheat, with chip timing and such.