Weather Limitations on Running Outside (Read 1121 times)

TRIing to beat the heat!

I will run in rain (even torrential rain like during my triathlon last weekend) as long as there is no lightning. Running during a lightning storm in South FL is basially like playing Russian roulette with your life. Now that I think about it, I wish I could run in the rain more often... alas, most rain is unfortunately accompanied by lightning here. I will not run outside once the heat index rises over 90F. It's very difficult for me to get in outdoor runs during the summer down here, as even at 5AM in the morning there's already a heat index of 80F outside. Treadmill runs are my friend during the summer. I usually only do a long run once per week outdoors to maintain heat tolerance and I try to do that as early as possible. I took up running after moving to FL, so I'm not sure how I would make out in snow/ice. I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't run on ice (at least not without crampons).

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

I usually avoid running if it's less than -25C, if there is more than 5cm of fresh fallen snow and the plows didn't pass yet. I don't like starting a run in heavy rain but I don't mind there being rain during my run. I just like being kinda dry while I warm up and there is always a short break if I wait a bit. Radar pictures help a lot to see if it's worth waiting a bit: http://www.meteo.gc.ca/radar/index_f.html?id=XFT Actually I just waited out a pretty intense thunderstorm (20 min). Now off running Smile - R
        This winter I ran in whatever weather was here, 24 degrees, snowing, raining, whatever. However, looking at my log this month, you will see that I am APPARENTLY, a massive wimp when it comes to heat. I live in NH, but grew up in CA, so am a big humidity wimp. I have used that excuse up this month. If you see my earlier post from today, I am going to try to change this and HTFU. Other than that, my only limitation is that I don't run when there is no one to watch my kids. I am pretty sure I would be arrested if I left my 4 year old and 2 year old alone in the house so I can go for a run. And my 4 year old is the size of a 6 year old, so no, I can't push a double-jogger. Nor do I want to, since running is my "me" time. But that is another topic. Blush

http://www.runningnotes.net

Lightning is my show stopper. Too many close calls on long runs above treeline... I don't mess with it anymore.
            High heat and high humidity at the same time. I can do heat alone, I can do humidity alone, but I'm still too fat to handle both at once. Lightning. Probably ice, but I live in Texas so I don't have to worry about it too often.