New training log summary page (Read 3437 times)

eric :)

Hi all,
    This is the first installment of the training log overhaul.  I was hoping I could finish another page before this release but I had to shift my focus in the last month.

As you know, you can customize the training log summary page by dragging and dropping new widgets onto the page.  It was created using tools provided by Microsoft.  While it was cool some 5 years ago, adding new widgets and arranging them was cumbersome and slow.

The new JavaScript framework finally allowed me to redo the summary page.   It is a proof of concept that I will use for the rest of the site.  The new summary page looks similar to the old one, and you can still customize it.  The difference is you can add new widgets to the page on the fly, without having to go into the special edit mode first.  Everything is done using JavaScript and should provide a smoother user experience.

I was unable to migrate your old summary page layout to the new one because the layout information was managed by Microsoft’s code.  The new layout is fully within my control so future changes should be transparent.  I figure that it’ll also give you a chance to familiarize yourself with the new summary page.

To add new widgets to the summary page, click on the “Widgets” dropdown on the upper right corner of the page.  The weekly, monthly, total stats are all grouped into the “Statistics” widget.  Click on the widget you wish to add and drag it onto the page.  Depending on the widget, you might have to customize it before it displays your data.  Unlike the old summary page, your changes are saved automatically and immediately.
    I created a goal widget for the summary page.  It allows you to set up distance or weight loss goals, and provides graphs to track your progress.  The widget should be pretty intuitive to set up, and this is my primary goal for the log overhaul:  I want to make the log easier to use.

The other main feature of this release is the ability to create polls in the forums and groups.  You can create a new poll by starting a new thread.  It is a very basic poll and I’m sure it can be enhanced in many ways.  Instead of adding features that I think you might use, you can tell me what you want and I’ll do my best to accommodate.

Even though there aren’t too many visible additions in this release, there are many structural changes under the hood.  They should allow me to add more features with less effort, and to help me reduce the number of bugs.

The beta users have been testing the summary page for several months, but I am still expecting bugs.  If things don’t work right, please let me know.  There are some users that are still using IE7.  If you’re one of them, please consider upgrading to IE9.  If you can’t because it’s your company’s machine, try using Firefox or Chrome.  IE7 has problems with the drag and drop layout.  The summary page would still work, but it won’t look as nice as the latest browsers.

Happy Holidays everyone!

eric Smile

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Sweet!  Thank you, Eric!  Loving the new widget options already!

These new features are great, thanks so much. I ran into one problem, though -- I added a couple widgets to my summary and suddenly several of my stat boxes vanished, as well as the option to add new widgets. The data is still visible under the Workouts section. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

A Saucy Wench

Squeeee!  A Christmas present from eric Smile !!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

dumrunner

Thanks for the changes, looks very good and much easier to use.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I love the option to have the goal widget!

And I'm actually liking that it didn't keep my training log the way I had it organized. The focus is so much better the way I've reorganized it now. Smile

Thanks, Eric!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I noticed that change and thought it seemed like a good improvement. The location is better for the widgets but they don't work for me. Seems like when I login lately ther is 50% change my summary page is not what I expect and i can't add any widgets. I can delete items but not add anything. Lost my little calendar which the colored squares that I loved. Help!

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Very clean.  Very intuitive.  Very functional.  Love the goal widget addition and the new drag and drop implementation.  Thanks eric Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Squeeee!  A Christmas present from eric Smile !!

Open your wallets and return the favor, folks! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

I noticed that change and thought it seemed like a good improvement. The location is better for the widgets but they don't work for me. Seems like when I login lately ther is 50% change my summary page is not what I expect and i can't add any widgets. I can delete items but not add anything. Lost my little calendar which the colored squares that I loved. Help!

The default has the 3 columns kind of squished over on the left side.  You have to drag the widget the whole way over to one of those 3 columns.  You cant add them in the white space next to the existing columns.

MTA:  Dont ask me to tell left from right and east from west.  But I can get you there

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

What browser are you using?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

These new features are great, thanks so much. I ran into one problem, though -- I added a couple widgets to my summary and suddenly several of my stat boxes vanished, as well as the option to add new widgets. The data is still visible under the Workouts section. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

There was a javascript error for future goals which prevented the rest of the page to render.  It is fixed.

Could you give it a try again?  If it still doesn't work, could you include a screen shot and the browser you're using so I can see and try to reproduce the problem?  Thanks!

Very clean.  Very intuitive.  Very functional.  Love the goal widget addition and the new drag and drop implementation.  Thanks eric Smile

If you specify your height in your user profile (in options), the scale will also display your BMI range too Smile

A Saucy Wench

If you specify your height in your user profile (in options), the scale will also display your BMI range too Smile

7 feet tall it is!