Technique: Racing downhill (training) (Read 115 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

So, in a recent 5K there was a portion of the race that headed downhill.  I was leading the top-woman by about 10meters at the top of the hill, and she reversed that by the time we hit the bottom.  My effort went toward aerobic, as I couldn't seem to run any faster without ended up on my face.

I had to wait for the next flat or hill to catch her.

I've heard from a friend who raced XC that downhill is basically like letting go and almost falling . . . almost.  Another person said that if you watch good downhill racers their arm's aren't in the typical piston motion, but instead almost out to the side like on a tightrope, but fluttering to keep it all together.

So, first: does anyone have any comments about technique?

Second: other than finding downhilly 5Ks to race, what kind of training could I do to improve my form / performance in this area?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Walk-Jogger

I have an 8 mile hill climb training route that I occasionally run up and back down, 17 miles R/T, in the winter and spring, and it always amazes me that the first time I run the 8 miles down the hill I'm almost as slow as going up. The second time I do it, usually a week or 3 later, I can run down hill easier and faster. By the 4th or 5th time I do this run, I can maintain the kind of pace one might expect going down hill, about 90 seconds or more per mile faster than the first time. In a 5K race with hills, I generally kick some butt on the downhills . . .  Running downhill requires practice.

Retired &  Loving It

MoBramExam

The classic Lydiard hill circuit workout includes a fast downhill interval in each circuit.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

dive roll

but heelys are better

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

....  Running downhill requires practice.

+1 to practicing.

Here's some video of fast and slow downhill.  Here's some tips from Matt Carpenter. They differ a little in stride length ideas, but I think that's partly a function of how steep the hill is.

Since you're talking a couple hills in a 5k, I'm assuming you're not talking about long descents, but rather the type you run in xc, although it sounds like you're on road? When I run rolling hill routes, I sometimes work the uphills outbound (recover on the downs), then work the downhills inbound - or work both up and down on a tempoish run.

This may be simple matter of leg turnover and net necessarily strength, which is the more usual problem in longer trail races.

You might try some of your speedwork downhill or downwind to improve leg turnover. If you do the downhill on steeper hills than you race on, this will help with overspeed for your legs.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Not dead. Yet.

I love running downhill on trails!  I guess roads are kind of fun too, but they never get as steep.  I just kind of let the hill pull me down.  I've heard people call it a controlled fall.  Pick up your feet and increase the turnover.  Then just keep your balance with your arms and body and cruise.  On the trails you have to be careful/conscious of every landing.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

AKT: nice videos.  I'm almost certainly the second guy.

Find yourself a good hill loop and run it over and over and over, week after week after week.

Runners run

This is a pretty good technique for downhill running

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Find yourself a good hill loop and run it over and over and over, week after week after week.

The area I live is pretty hilly -- I'm just rarely sprinting down these things.  I guess I need to work that isn't  my training plans.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This is a pretty good technique for downhill running

Yeah, maybe the key for Stadjak will be the motivation.  Cheese works for me.

I'm not sure about a "shorter" length of downhill like the one you are describing, but I know that in training for the St. George marathon (which has 2600 feet of net drop over 26.2 miles) I needed to do a TON of training specific to downhill running.  You need to be able to vary your stride somewhat (longer), but also need the quad strength to endure the definite increase in pounding that you will feel.

Going downhill on rough single-track is another thing altogether.  Scares the crap out of me!!!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

NHLA

I run to the top of the mt. check time then run as fast as I can to the bottom check time. Its four miles to the top.

You can improve your downhill time more than uphill.

When I get to the bottom quads are trashed but I'm home.

The area I live is pretty hilly

Then it should be pretty easy to find a nice hill loop to train on.

Runners run

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

. . . but also need the quad strength to endure the definite increase in pounding that you will feel.

Other than pounding down hills (which I assume is a "quads for knees" trade-off) are there any recommended exercises to help with quad strength specific to the abuse they get in running downhill?