Lance Armstrong appears finally to have run out of rope. (Read 2702 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Lance is going to be bleeding money. Here come more lawyer bills too. He's been asked to repay almost $4M in TdF prize money. I listened to a bit of a discussion on the news today; they expect more people will be going after him too.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/lance-asked-return-4m-tour-de-france-prize-money-article-1.1193242

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Hawt and sexy

I am keeping my eyes out for the UK paper he sued for libel. If pressed, the UK could put him in prison for their equivalent to the charge of lying under oath.

I'm touching your pants.

xhristopher

A perspective from a clean rider.

How dopers stole the best years of my career

The more I think about it, the more it makes me mad as hell. But I have to move on from the fact that I have, more than likely, missed out on results and revenue, plus more, because of others' doping. -Bradley McGee

dpyles

Just glad to see the truth come out. To many cheating athletes in the world. How do they sleep ?

I saw the footage on CNN last night covering the interview of Armstrong back in, I think, 2005.  Maybe this was an interview that came about due to be subpoened?  Don't know.  And maybe this point has been already made here (there's been a lot of posts), but the thing that is really unbelievable to me is his utter convincibility- if you watch his responses, he looks like he is absolutely telling the truth about not doping.  Everything- his facial expressions, his body language, his statements and how they are worded, his own statement about how he knew he would "lose everything" if he were ever caught- everything - points to a guy who is either a masterful, masterful liar, or someone who is incomprehensibly unaware, or someone who completely believes his own words.  It is kind of spooky, actually.

I saw the footage on CNN last night covering the interview of Armstrong back in, I think, 2005.  Maybe this was an interview that came about due to be subpoened?  Don't know.  And maybe this point has been already made here (there's been a lot of posts), but the thing that is really unbelievable to me is his utter convincibility- if you watch his responses, he looks like he is absolutely telling the truth about not doping.  Everything- his facial expressions, his body language, his statements and how they are worded, his own statement about how he knew he would "lose everything" if he were ever caught- everything - points to a guy who is either a masterful, masterful liar, or someone who is incomprehensibly unaware, or someone who completely believes his own words.  It is kind of spooky, actually.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=713295n

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I chanced on that CNN show as well. It was really interesting and gave me new perspectives on the whole story. I am of the belief that absolute power may corrupt absolutely, and by that time Lance surely thought he was invincible. Plus, for some, if you tell a lie long enough (and especially can get enough people to buy in) than it becomes the truth. Both of those might fit for him.

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I chanced on that CNN show as well. It was really interesting and gave me new perspectives on the whole story. I am of the belief that absolute power may corrupt absolutely, and by that time Lance surely thought he was invincible. Plus, for some, if you tell a lie long enough (and especially can get enough people to buy in) than it becomes the truth. Both of those might fit for him.

This is my suspicion, as well.  I suspect he'd be a really fascinating psychological subject.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

BeeRunB

"Jerry, just remember....it's not a lie if you believe it."

George Costanza

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn_PSJsl0LQ

(11 seconds)

xor

For many years, LA has been described as exhibiting behaviors consistent with a sociopathic personality.  Not the serial killer movie kind; the clinical kind.

This is an aspect of that.  Setting aside the cheating (or lack thereof, if you are still on that side), the way he has acted through that seems consistent with the term.

But not only am I sitting in an armchair, I do not possess proper credentials to state this.  Except on the internet.  'cause I read it.  Also he was kind of a dick to me, twice, so there's that.  Nanny nanny boo boo

Why is it sideways?

The fall is not completed when the crowd condemns -- the ultimate form of rejection comes in the form of pity and diagnosis.

#artbydmcbride

We are internet warriors....analysis is our thang    Cool

Runners run

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

For many years, LA has been described as exhibiting behaviors consistent with a sociopathic personality.  Not the serial killer movie kind; the clinical kind.

This is an aspect of that.  Setting aside the cheating (or lack thereof, if you are still on that side), the way he has acted through that seems consistent with the term.

But not only am I sitting in an armchair, I do not possess proper credentials to state this.  Except on the internet.  'cause I read it.  Also he was kind of a dick to me, twice, so there's that.  Nanny nanny boo boo

Have you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express? Because if you have, I believe the commercials state that you are, indeed, in possession of the proper credentials. It must be true if it is said in a commercial, right?

TRUST THE PROCESS

xhristopher

My understanding is that he can't come clean because of contractual provisions that let him keep money if he has not tested positive or admitted to doping.  So far he is OK under those terms.  

Looks like they are going after him for "no longer being the winner of any Tour," not for being a jackass doper. 

SCA Promotions demands that Armstrong return $12 million in bonus earnings

Feeling the growl again

Looks like they are going after him for "no longer being the winner of any Tour," not for being a jackass doper. 

SCA Promotions demands that Armstrong return $12 million in bonus earnings

Legally the bonuses were paid for winning....he is no longer a winner...avoids dredging into the whole doping thing at all during the course of the proceedings, methinks.

Of course, he is not a winner because he was a jackass doper.  But that is beside the point in this case.  Convenient for the insurer.  Good for them, I enjoy the irony here...LA will owe them like 3X what he was paid originally (they paid him almost 2X IIRC with interest and court costs).

But this is likely chump change compared to what he would owe former sponsors if...as HStreet has suggested....admitting doping triggers contract breech and liability to repay sponsors.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills