New and introducing myself (Read 185 times)

Armystang

Name is Patrick in the US ARMY for seven years and still active duty, in Parma OH as a recruiter and want to get back into running. I unfortunately gain some weight over the last year and now tire of being a fat body 216 at 72" tall. Any who looking into eating right and also trying to find other ppl in the area to run with talk to regards my goals and stuff. I've ran 5ks and 10ks in the past my ultimate goal is to get my 2 mile run time in the 13 min range

joescott

Welcome!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Armystang

Name is Patrick in the US ARMY for seven years and still active duty, in Parma OH as a recruiter and want to get back into running. I unfortunately gain some weight over the last year and now tire of being a fat body 216 at 72" tall. Any who looking into eating right and also trying to find other ppl in the area to run with talk to regards my goals and stuff. I've ran 5ks and 10ks in the past my ultimate goal is to get my 2 mile run time in the 13 min range, I accidentally posted before I was done. I  wanted Ito see you all was in the Cleveland area, also any one have any words of advice.

meg2the5th

Hi, Patrick and welcome, I am new to running and have not even a history of it, so you are ahead of me! Good luck with everything. I did the Ease to 5K program and it worked well for me. Still waiting for the speed to build up, I guess after so many years of  sitting on the couch, it takes time!

Armystang

I hear ya, one year and three surgeries later in starting tomorrow with 4 mileI at 0600. This should be a grand ole time. Good luck to you also remember its all mind over matter.

Hi Patrick.  Welcome and good luck on the running.  I think the best advice for running a quick 2 miler is to be able to run 10-12 miles or so first.  Build up those lungs and the speed will follow.  Throw in some speed runs and some strength training and you will get that goal.  It is also a good idea to keep track of your times at varying distances to see how your times change with added distance.

example

400meters =  5:20pace

1 mile run =   6:10 pace

3.1  mile run =   6:45 pace

4 mile run =       7:07 pace

6.2 mile run =    7:19pace

10 mile run =     7:51pace

etc.. etc... etc..    These were my times and I could realistically see myself running 2 miles at 6:30 based on the fade / increased distance rate I was getting.  If you take some samples like this, and enough to have a scaling pattern like mine, you will know when you are ready for that time trial. Good luck brother

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Armystang

Wolfwalker23 thanks brother think ill take your advice on bluffing up to 10-12 miles since I'm looking at running the army's ten miler in oct. I ran 4 miles today in 38.36 which I don't think itwo bad since I had surgery a month ago and have to worry about swelling in my hand. again thanks again. And good luck with your 2 June marothon.

ivyfun

Hi evone,

My name is Ivy, recently I moved to Houston. I hope here I will find all answers to my running questions.

Wink In this world I am new. Like every women I am always searching for a perfect way to be fit and satisfied with myself.

bojangles

Hi Patrick.  Welcome and good luck on the running.  I think the best advice for running a quick 2 miler is to be able to run 10-12 miles or so first.  Build up those lungs and the speed will follow.  Throw in some speed runs and some strength training and you will get that goal.  It is also a good idea to keep track of your times at varying distances to see how your times change with added distance.

example

400meters =  5:20pace

1 mile run =   6:10 pace

3.1  mile run =   6:45 pace

4 mile run =       7:07 pace

6.2 mile run =    7:19pace

10 mile run =     7:51pace

etc.. etc... etc..    These were my times and I could realistically see myself running 2 miles at 6:30 based on the fade / increased distance rate I was getting.  If you take some samples like this, and enough to have a scaling pattern like mine, you will know when you are ready for that time trial. Good luck brother

Now if the OP was just looking to shed some time off his two miler he wouldn't really have to worry about those long runs (10 to 12 miles). When I wanted to get my two miler time down and even 5 miler time down, I never broke 7 miles during a run. For my two milers it was all about HIIT sprints. From doing 30/30s a few times a week for 12 minutes, I managed to get my time down from 14 to high 12s in a couple months. And I never broke 5 miles during that time. And to bring my 5 mile time down to about 35 minutes or so I did a lot of 400 and 800 meter sprints for about 4 miles or so.

I know there is more than one way to skin a cat, but if the OP was just merely looking at improving his two mile time I would say sprint intervals is the moneymaker. And throw in some 4 to 5 miler jogs in between and you are golden.