Goal 6 minute mile (Read 6319 times)

I do enjoy your point of view because you have a lot of miles on those legs and don't seem to ever take time off.

I ran an hour a day for about a year straight before I broke 20 minutes. I don't call that easy. I was obsessed with breaking 20 minutes for years. Running 35 miles per week is alot for someone running a 3 mile race. I guess it depends on your perspective though.

When I started running in 2005 I thought I would break 20 minutes within 3 months. I thought it was difficult but training would bring it to me. That probably is the same attitude I have for the 6 minute mile. I expect to hit in 3 months because when I was in shape this was not too much of a challenge to me.

The 6 minute mile goal was put up here as a real challenge to me. I can do it and think it is a pretty nice time for a mile. Not great but a good starting point. I am an analyzer so I wish to take my thoughts as I go through this challenge and post them so they can be viewed later by others trying to run sub 6. I never thought I would get many comments but they are sometimes interesting to see how others view things.

Maybe you can clarify this for us. In what way is it alot?

Do you have time constraints that limit your running to well below 45 minutes a day? Is 35 miles tough/fatiguing for you? Do you just think 35 miles is good, solid mileage for a 5k?

What we all don't get is why you think 30-40+ miles a week is so much. It's one thing to say your training for a certain time/race etc. and then explain that you have 6 other major commitments and probably won't be able to train but want info on how to use what time you have as efficiently as possible. In your case though, you don't give any reasons for not doing more mileage, which makes it confusing as hell.

So i'll ask, why is 30+ miles alot, what is the reason you don't seem to have much interest in doing that level or beyond?

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

World-class milers often run over 100 miles per week, and their race is only a mile (or 1500m) long.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

xor

World-class milers often run over 100 miles per week, and their race is only a mile (or 1500m) long.

Yes, but I can already see the comeback for this one.  "Well, we're not all world class!"

Of course, there's a mightywide gap between 35 and 100+.

In other news, I will finally be over 100 again this week.  Lucky for me I'm not trying to break a 6 minute mile.

Not to mention Quenton Cassidy running 60 X 400.... 

Oh wait that guy was not real was he?

Btw , I think it was 40. He did 20 then Bruce said "again" (once?)

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Not to mention Quenton Cassidy running 60 X 400.... 

Oh wait that guy was not real was he?

Whether the guy was real, and whether the workout was real, can be separated -- viz., Zatopek Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

nobody can run around an egg shaped track 50 times.

(ok I split the difference on 40 and 60 as you clowns don't seem to know the quote and well... frankly neither do I)

L Train

Btw , I think it was 40. He did 20 then Bruce said "again" (once?)

And then he said again again. 

And then he said again again. 

Correct.  It was actually 3 x 20 x 1/4 mile.  No goddam metric system in that part of Florida back then.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Nerds.

Commie.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

I see got a proper haircut, son. 

I see got a proper haircut, son. 

I see you are speak like real commie. 

Correct.  It was actually 3 x 20 x 1/4 mile.  No goddam metric system in that part of Florida back then.

Yes, 60x400, again and again.  It is a good read.