Best Way to Start Working on a Base (Read 1044 times)

Carps10

Wee_Little_Me - I think Carps has the very best answer of all.....its really easy to try to analyze it too much when all it is is runing.....I think Carps left off that its suppose to be fun.. So try Carps running program, and stop when it quits being fun - take a day off - and then do it again..... It just might work.........
    fun? base building isn't the fun part, winning races is the fun part Big grin
      fun? base building isn't the fun part, winning races is the fun part Big grin
      I'm afraid I wouldn't (nor will I ever) know about that..... Shocked --- Im afraid that my fun will come from building mileage or finishing runs..........Don't think winning a race in in my cards......unless of course all the people in the world that run faster then 8:00 per mile suddenly decide not to run races......then I might have a chance....

Champions are made when no one is watching

What you need to work toward at this point is making running a routine part of your life. Develop the discipline to run on a regular basis and set goals such as a certain distance or a certain pace to work toward. Running is a very goal oriented activity and it helps a lot to have goals. Don't get too carried away with mileage yet, the last thing you want or need is an injury. Most beginning race training programs recommend a base of 15 to 20 miles a week. You may want to build to a higher base in the future, but for now, that is plenty. Tom
        JakeKnight

What you need to work toward at this point is making running a routine part of your life.
          In my opinion, that single sentence is pretty much the most important advice any beginning runner should hear. Maybe the only advice - along with the usual warning to run most of the miles slowly. If you make running part of your life - whatever it takes for *you* personally to make that happen - the rest will fall into place. For me, that meant starting slow and making it something I truly came to love. For others, maybe it means focusing on one specific goal until that routine kicks in. Whatever floats your boat. But that consistency has to be the start. Nothing else matters.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Interesting and thanks for all the advice folks. Looking back I think I started trying to add longer runs when I was still just running 3 times a week and some of those longer runs felt like a bit of a chore (they were long for ME LOL). I think I'm gonna be focusing on just going for the short distances as often as possible and eeking out a way to do that. I'm hating that I live on the side of a mountain right now... it is a bit hard to get to somewhere that doesn't involve intensive hill training if I were to, for example, just try heading out the door first thing in the morning. Running at lunch time might be the way to go for me and I'm toying with the idea of toting all my stuff to work at the beginning of the week and running home in the evening but that involves a fairly good hill. All I know is that I feel so much better when I run.
            The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
            • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
            • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
            • Complete a 10K fun run

Just Be

Interesting and thanks for all the advice folks. Looking back I think I started trying to add longer runs when I was still just running 3 times a week and some of those longer runs felt like a bit of a chore (they were long for ME LOL). I think I'm gonna be focusing on just going for the short distances as often as possible and eeking out a way to do that. I'm hating that I live on the side of a mountain right now... it is a bit hard to get to somewhere that doesn't involve intensive hill training if I were to, for example, just try heading out the door first thing in the morning. Running at lunch time might be the way to go for me and I'm toying with the idea of toting all my stuff to work at the beginning of the week and running home in the evening but that involves a fairly good hill. All I know is that I feel so much better when I run.
              You're going to be alright! Smile Go slow and take it day by day. Before you know it, running will be an integral part of your life that you really look forward to doing. Smile