Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

L Train

I'm in, as long as I can do it by running the Detroit airport 3X, using the moving sidewalks.

I would LOVE to join the 17 minute club. HOWEVER, last June I ran my first race in 10 years - 5 K in 32:00 and thought I was going to dye........ In Aug, I ran a 5K in 27:00 and felt OK....like I left a little out there... A few weeks ago, I ran a 5k in 26:16 --- getting warmer.... Running a 5K tomorrow and really really hoping/planning and think I can break 25:59. So I think I am going to have to go for something like 23:00 or so for this year.....I were to get into the 22 to 23 minute category this year, it would be as significant for me as a 17 is for you......(you do have to consider my 56 years of age - and the fact that I only have one year of experience as a 'born again runner' after 10 years of non activity)..... So - maybe I can play after all.....just on a different playing field........

Champions are made when no one is watching

flovesparko

I'm OUT! I know it's sounds like an episode of Seinfeld after they make a bet and Kramer comes back in the room two minutes later. Well sometimes it happens, I just looked at mikeymikes log and he can sure run the miles and fast at that. I'm just getting into the 40 mpw range in the past couple of months. I'm also following the sub 3 marathon thread and one thing I've been learning is those that run the miles seem to do the best. I've been averaging 25-30 since 2000. Even done a 3:02 PR marathon on that mileage but I was much younger in 2002. OK so I'm not out but I think sub 17:15 should be my goal but if he doesn't mind I'm sticking around this thread because I don't think we need a another "Goal of X time for Y distance thread for sub 17:15" crowd Cool I'm definitely going to try to up the mileage.

Lazy idiot

Tick tock

Mishka-old log

dude?
            Yeah dude. You'll be there.
            flovesparko

Just in case anyone looks at my log, this week is a complete and utter embarrassment. In the last two weeks, my first child was born, did a race, had my hardest workout two days ago at least this year, and still doing home projects like hauling drywall by myself. Trust me I don't have the wingspan of Michael Phelps.

Lazy idiot

Yeah dude. You'll be there.
                Sweet. About 5-6 minutes behind, I'm hoping. I'll have my wife get some pictures of the pain for you.

Tick tock

Think Whirled Peas

Sweet. About 5-6 minutes behind, I'm hoping.
                  Let's shoot for 3 minutes back...you dig?

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Lazy idiot

Let's shoot for 3 minutes back...you dig?
                    I can see how this is going to end, and it won't be pretty for me. BUT, I'm dumb enough to give it a shot. So you know in advance, I'm going to let you pull me through most (read: until I die) of this race, and if there's anything left at the end I'm going to try to kill you.

Tick tock

Mishka-old log

I can see how this is going to end, and it won't be pretty for me. BUT, I'm dumb enough to give it a shot. So you know in advance, I'm going to let you pull me through most (read: until I die) of this race, and if there's anything left at the end I'm going to try to kill you.
                      I'll be drinking alone after race? Oh well, I can do that. Good to know in advance though.

Lazy idiot

I'll be drinking alone after race? Oh well, I can do that. Good to know in advance though.
                        One of us will live, so you won't be unsupervised. And keep your hands off my wife.

Tick tock

Think Whirled Peas

I'll be there. Smithwick's, if you please. We'll toast to the memory of Drew.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

According to my entirely overused age/gender calculator, I'd need to run a 20:31 to match Mikey's 16:59. I'm in.

DoppleBock

Good luck - I do not have it in me ... Sub 17:00 converts to a 2:42 marathon - I am less intimidated by a 2:42 than I am by sub 17:00

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Why is it sideways?

McMillan has 2:45 for 17:00... which sounds much more reasonable to me than 2:42. Most 2:45 guys can crush a 17 min 5k. And, most 17:00 guys, for that matter, would struggle to run 2:45. Not sure about how it works out for women.