Addictive web site (Read 684 times)

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I am becoming very familiar with the terrain and backroads of Australia.  Roll eyes

Me too, but they still look like Montana to me! I've learned to check what side of the road cars are driving on -- if they are driving on the left, it narrows the field.

Hip Redux

I'm not sure I could have done worse if I randomly guessed.  lol  It kept dropping me in the middle of nowhere!  http://url.geoguessr.com/3m2d 

obiebyke

I love how Anne just drops a bomb in here and skitters away. She must be monitoring this thread giggling to herself. Addictive is right.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Hip Redux

This might be helpful:  Where is Google Street View?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AnneCA

This might be helpful:  Where is Google Street View?

Well, that explains the absence of India, most of South America other than Brasil, Brasil, Brasil.  China's absence made sense - not the most Google-friendly place.  But India?  Argentina?  Wonder when they're getting there.

And, Obiebyke, I've been back - couldn't miss coming back to share that 25k score.  Approve

obiebyke

So you have, Anne! That was an impressive one, Googling and all. I stand corrected and in awe. Carry on. Big grin

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Well, that explains the absence of India, most of South America other than Brasil, Brasil, Brasil.  China's absence made sense - not the most Google-friendly place.  But India?  Argentina?  Wonder when they're getting there.

New Delhi is on there, so the rest of the big cities should have this soon.  And having that map may help me a bit as I did randomly choose Egypt and Morocco a couple of times.

xhristopher

Come on. Somebody's got to beat my 27K. Even with Google, it's not an easy score. Plus, Google only helps so much. How do you google Russian stuff?

That map is a bigger help than google. I can now stop guessing parts of South American and Africa.

MrH

Come on. Somebody's got to beat my 27K. Even with Google, it's not an easy score. 

http://url.geoguessr.com/3lE0

31798 points in total.

Plus, Google only helps so much. How do you google Russian stuff?

If you were serious about your score you would brush up on your knowledge of the Cyrillic alphabet. Roll eyes

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

cmb4314

I got ~25k without google last night by just flat out getting lucky.

My first one, I was directly across the water from the Sydney Opera House.  My 3rd one, I saw French on the signs and wandered around until I found a sign pointing me to Quebec (I'm glad I thought to consider Canada before just randomly plunking the marker down in the middle of France).  Then the 5th one stuck me smack on I-75, and I went a mile down the road and found the sign for the next exit, so I just scanned the length of the road until I found that exit in Michigan.   Those three alone had me near 20000, and I got the others reasonably close.

Then for my next game I got stuck on a bunch of blurry dirt roads Smile

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Zelanie

This is fun!  Not my best score, but pretty happy with being able to get fairly close on some tough ones without googling.  Should have trusted my instincts on the last one, but I saw a Canadian flag and a blue flag with it, and I knew Quebec had a blue flag.  But I had been thinking Alaska before I saw the Canadian flag.

Here's my game.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Has it ever put you on a walking path?  It put me in a garden surrounding some palace in Denmark.  Very pretty.  No clue.  There was a tiny guard station with a curlicue on the roof.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My game (not the one with Denmark).  Some badly misplaced mountain roads hurt me.

p.s. Does time count, i.e. if you're speedy, do you score higher?

xhristopher

If you were serious about your score you would brush up on your knowledge of the Cyrillic alphabet. Roll eyes

I don't know what's worse. Getting dumped in a look-a-like city in Russia or on a long dirt road in the outback...

Upped my best by a couple points to 27994