Athenas and Clydesdales (Read 1110 times)

Looking over the thread, I don't see that anyone said the faster runners should dump a workout to run with a slower runner.
    I guess you're right, looking back no one really said that. Sorry. I still agree with what I said but it shouldn't be directed at anyone on this thread. Thanks.

The Greatest of All Time

I used to work with a very talented and fast female runner. She was involved with a local running club and could obviously smoke any of the women and most of the men as well. Once a week she did workouts/runs with the women only and ran at their pace. She was good like that.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      JakeKnight

I guess you're right, looking back no one really said that. Sorry. I still agree with what I said but it shouldn't be directed at anyone on this thread. Thanks.
        Mr. Inertia's right - nobody said that. But I'll go ahead and play Devil's advocate and say it myself. I really felt bad reading this thread, because I love running and runners and don't think anybody should feel this way. And the truth is that when you get a little faster, I don't think you will. I think as long as you can run say 10:30-11:00 pace or so, you'll find company to run with. But if a running club is open to the public, and actively encourages people of all paces ... I think they ought to arrange it so that just about the slowest runner around has somebody to run with. That means accommodating 13:00-16:00 pace, at least on the long runs. I really don't understand why the club officers can't take it upon themselves to personally run 15:00 pace once a week, if that's what it takes to make everyone feel included. It wouldn't be that hard to set up a rotation, or ask for volunteers, so that every pace group has at least one runner to keep them company. Okay, so you have to run a long slow workout once a week. It won't kill you. It might even be good for you. And somehow all the major marathons find pacers for varying levels. Why can't the same thing be done in clubs? These are clubs, after all. It's running but its social, too. They aren't racing teams. If they say they're open to all, everybody should truly be welcomed. If faster runners have to sacrifice a workout occasionally, that's what has to happen. Besides, with a little work you could get the slow people faster that way, couldn't you?
        Once a week she did workouts/runs with the women only and ran at their pace. She was good like that.
        Yeah. Like that. Either have that attitude, or don't invite "all paces." And specify which paces are welcome. It seems pretty simple. If you want a training group full of faster runners, advertise it as such. If not, then make everybody welcome.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

#artbydmcbride

I'm in two running clubs and I am always running by myself at times. Smile There is a pack that seems to always 'race' their workouts, and another pack that jogs along and chats, so I am always somewhere in the middle. But hey, I like being there when others are running, it gives me a place and time to commit to running, and if I waited for folks to come and introduce themselves to me or email me a year later because a race series was once mentioned by me....well I would be isolated inside the group too. Be outgoing...runners are actually pretty shy with people they don't know yet.

Runners run

The Greatest of All Time

I really don't understand why the club officers can't take it upon themselves to personally run 15:00 pace once a week, if that's what it takes to make everyone feel included. It wouldn't be that hard to set up a rotation, or ask for volunteers, so that every pace group has at least one runner to keep them company.
            The problem can be that too many people show up at these things to show off and 'race' training runs. In fact it's crap like that has made me stay clear of running clubs. If you want to set up a weekly 5k race series that's one thing. But weekly fun runs should be as adverstised, fun.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              I used to work with a very talented and fast female runner. She was involved with a local running club and could obviously smoke any of the women and most of the men as well. Once a week she did workouts/runs with the women only and ran at their pace. She was good like that.
              You said it! A good friend of mine is one of the best female ultrarunners in the world, but she puts on a "casual and conversational" night run once a week that is just that. I credit her for getting me into this sport because she loves to get out and run slow on social runs and she encourages and supports new runners. I don't know if most elite runners have bad egos or what...but it sure is nice to find the true gems in the sport! - Chris
              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I agree fully with you, too and I think most of us do - that's why it can be frustrating. You don't want anybody to have to dump a workout, but by the same token you don't quite fit in.
                  Not sure where you are, but you'd find a happy home with my running club. It caters to everyone from Boston Marathoners and Ironmen (Ironpeople? Ironpersons?) to walkers and the learn to run crowd looking to run their first race of any distance. It's as diverse as one fellow who is currently running the Marathon des Sables to a 72 year old woman that had never run before that came out to run her first ever 5k. Runners are big, small, short and tall. I wish you luck finding a group to call your own.

Imploder

Mr. Inertia's right - nobody said that. But I'll go ahead and play Devil's advocate and say it myself. But if a running club is open to the public, and actively encourages people of all paces ... I think they ought to arrange it so that just about the slowest runner around has somebody to run with. That means accommodating 13:00-16:00 pace, at least on the long runs. I really don't understand why the club officers can't take it upon themselves to personally run 15:00 pace once a week, if that's what it takes to make everyone feel included. It wouldn't be that hard to set up a rotation, or ask for volunteers, so that every pace group has at least one runner to keep them company.
                    Hear Hear, Jake. And the thing is, you wouldn't probably have to do it for long. I feel CONFIDENT that if some of the faster members reached out to a few slower ones, got them involved and ran with them, and actively encouraged others at that pace to join the group, before long the original runners would either speed up, or if they still liked a slower pace, would be ready to step in and "lead" the pacegroup on a more long-term basis. I feel like a lot of the time in groups everyone is waiting around to be noticed and asked. Sometimes you have to put yourself out there a little bit. On one of my meetups I saw a woman who said she'd come but only if someone ran a long-run 15 min/mile pace, so I said I'd be there and run that with her. Frankly, I'm looking forward to it! Big grin
                      I would guess that many running clubs are formed by and then joined by more experienced runners, for the purpose of competing against other clubs, that seems to be the case with trhe one in my town. I also looked into the local cycling club, three groups, Group C is for beginners, they go on Sunday rides of 2 hours at average 22-23 kms/hr. I asked if that meant they are all younger riders and the guy said, "Well I'm 62, but there are others older than that, severa; members are retired." Yeah, but fast! My coclusion is that "all paces" means different things to different people. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.