Tom Cruise (Read 1037 times)

BeeRunB

Meryl Streep, Holly Hunter, and Hilary Swank are examples of lead actresses that take it up another step in character detail. Streep, of course, is the master of them all.

Nicolas Cage has done some very interesting things that show range. Peggy Sue Got Married, Moonstruck, Vampire's Kiss, Raising Arizona, Leaving Las Vegas.

Sean Penn shows range as Harvey Milk and Spicoli in Fast Times at Ridgemont High (character actor turn). Spicoli still being my favorite.

Donald Sutherland in Kelly's Heroes.

BeeRunB

The epitome of surprise turn is Mary Tyler Moore in Ordinary People. Amazing.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Meryl Streep, Holly Hunter, and Hilary Swank are examples of lead actresses that take it up another step in character detail. Streep, of course, is the master of them all.

Nicolas Cage has done some very interesting things that show range. Peggy Sue Got Married, Moonstruck, Vampire's Kiss, Raising Arizona, Leaving Las Vegas.

Sean Penn shows range as Harvey Milk and Spicoli in Fast Times at Ridgemont High (character actor turn). Spicoli still being my favorite.

Donald Sutherland in Kelly's Heroes.

I wish Nicholas Cage would get back to interesting roles like the ones you mentioned.  I think there's still a pretty good actor under there somewhere.

And yeah, I always enjoy Sean Penn.  Just when I think he's falling into a De Niro-esque rut, he'll do something like Harvey Milk.  Haven't seen that latest one of his.

I'd throw Meryl Streep's name into a "Greatest Living Actor, Period" contest.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

RunJasonRun

I have nothing ill to say about Tom Cruise, because his movies have always been entertaining, and I grew up watching all his 1980s flicks.  Even the movies that suck (Cocktail, for instance) are fun in that throwaway 1980s way. 

I stumbled across a five-dollar DVD sale shelf at Target a few months back, and grabbed a copy of Risky Business, since I had not seen that movie in ages.  That movie is still a trip, and it's a good example of Tom Cruise's one real strength in his acting.  Risky Business is sort of a dark movie in an offbeat way, but Tom Cruise has a charisma in the role that makes it all work.  When I revisited that movie, I was thinking about how much better it is than all of the high school comedies and such that are released these days.  Risky Business has a tension to it with that sense of impending trouble that every teenager experiences to a degree at some point when he or she crosses certain lines. 

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

BeeRunB

I have nothing ill to say about Tom Cruise, because his movies have always been entertaining, and I grew up watching all his 1980s flicks.  Even the movies that suck (Cocktail, for instance) are fun in that throwaway 1980s way. 

I stumbled across a five-dollar DVD sale shelf at Target a few months back, and grabbed a copy of Risky Business, since I had not seen that movie in ages.  That movie is still a trip, and it's a good example of Tom Cruise's one real strength in his acting.  Risky Business is sort of a dark movie in an offbeat way, but Tom Cruise has a charisma in the role that makes it all work.  When I revisited that movie, I was thinking about how much better it is than all of the high school comedies and such that are released these days.  Risky Business has a tension to it with that sense of impending trouble that every teenager experiences to a degree at some point when he or she crosses certain lines. 

Risky Business is one of his best. He put some nice touches in. Like how he would put his hands in his pockets in a strange sort of way when he walked. --Rebecca Demornay and Joe Pataliano (Ralphie on The Sopranos) gave the movie that nice edge. Cool music by Tangerine Dream. I liked Cruise in Taps. That was the first time I became aware of him. He sort of stole the film. Haven't seen Taps in ages. It was an odd movie at the time--these kids willing to die for their military school and George C. Scott.. Might be worth another watch to see if it still holds up.

RunJasonRun

Risky Business is one of his best. He put some nice touches in. Like how he would put his hands in his pockets in a strange sort of way when he walked. --Rebecca Demornay and Joe Pataliano (Ralphie on The Sopranos) gave the movie that nice edge. Cool music by Tangerine Dream. I liked Cruise in Taps. That was the first time I became aware of him. He sort of stole the film. Haven't seen Taps in ages. It was an odd movie at the time--these kids willing to die for their military school and George C. Scott.. Might be worth another watch to see if it still holds up.

I used to love Taps when I was a kid, but I have not seen it in a couple of decades.  I would like to check that movie out again as well just to see how it holds up these days.

I've got The Outsiders on DVD somewhere at my place.  That movie is still ace after all these years.  Tom Cruise did well with his small role in that one. 

I also used to like a movie from that era, All the Right Moves, with Tom Cruise as a high school football player who needs a scholarship, but does not see eye-to-eye with his coach.  Nothing special, but it was a good solid flick.  One of those "Back in the 1980s, not everybody was wealthy." types of stories.  Another one that I would like to revisit. 

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

Mostly harmless

There is a not-small group of actors who seem to be the same basic character in almost all their roles.  Get Shorty's Chili Palmer (John Travolta) notes this well when covering the differences between the movies Rio Bravo and Eldorado.  Which are essentially the same movie.  "John Wayne played John Wayne in both..."

Will Smith is another dude like this.  Pretty much every movie is the same bit... he's being "Will Smith".

De Niro used to play a variety of roles, but over time his stuff devolved into him playing "Robert DeNiro", or at least the same basic persona.

It's actually kind of fun coming up with actors who DONT do this.  Robert Downey Jr maybe.  Eh, maybe not.  Meryl Streep.

Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp are both very good at this.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

BeeRunB

Peter Sellers

xor

Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp are both very good at this.

Mr Depp is interesting because he has cornered the market on playing really weird, really made-up dudes.  I dunno that he fits the model because each of these characters is way different, but hmmmm.... you ALWAYS know "hey, that's Johnny Depp".  So he kind of does.  When he plays a not-made up part (like Dillinger), it's not the same though.

Doc, my tooth hurts

Four pages on Tom Cruise's acting career and no mention of Born on the Fourth of July or Magnolia? Magnolia was an OK movie, but I thought Cruise's character was the only really memorable one from it. Born on the Fourth of July was such a different role for him and he absolutely nailed it. I mean up to that point the most serious thing he had done was Rain Man, but Born on the 4th of July took it to a different level. He seems to be having this midlife crisis where he wants to be an action hero even though he is about 50 years old. 

As far as great actors that don't do the same thing over and over, Daniel Day Lewis. I still have yet to see Lincoln, but he hasn't disappointed in the past and I'm sure his performance is incredible. 

Vince Vaughn is the WORST when it comes to people not stretching at all. I find Wedding Crashers unwatchable because of him. Old School is borderline unwatchable. 

BeeRunB

Jeff Bridges in STarman,  The Dude in The Big Lebowski, Fearless, True Grit, etc.

He's a stretcher.

Cruise was great in Born On The Fourth Of July and Magnolia. He's one of the great leading men, and very few, if any, of his movies has been unwatchable. Eyes WIde Shut was very interesting. Even like him in War Of The Worlds.

John Rustle

^^^fussy biatch

"That was just bullshit, Joel"  Best line in Risky Business.

Tommy may not be the best actor in the world, but I've enjoyed most of the films he's been in. 

@ExtendedSolo-DDL was once again amazing in Lincoln.  As was the cast as a whole.

Menace to Sobriety

There is a not-small group of actors who seem to be the same basic character in almost all their roles. 

Uber-douche Kevin Costner is the master of this.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

#artbydmcbride

Vincent D'Onofrio is one of the most talented actors and he really becomes the role.

Runners run

xor

Vincent D'Onofrio is one of the most talented actors and he really becomes the role.

I watched Adventures in Babysitting a few weeks ago for the first time in about 20 years.  A pivotal (if anything can be pivotal in such a movie) scene involves the group encountering the tall, muscular, gruff owner of the body shop.  He looks like Thor.  This is a big deal since the little kid in the movie loves Thor***.

And holy shit, it's Vincent D'Onofrio.  This is a total WTF, especially for those who got to know him in Full Metal Jacket.

*** The 8 year old girl likes, of all heroes, THOR.  Thor!  Man, when I was that age, Thor was one of those superheroes kind of like Aquaman.  He was alright, but I just couldn't get into him.  I always wondered why they picked Thor.  Oh wait... easy match for a dude who runs a body shop and has a hammer.  Aha. 

Fast forward, and now Disney (who made this movie) owns all the Marvel characters.