Garmin 405 - dead??? (Read 1536 times)

MelissaQ

Hi

I have a Garmin 405, I plugged it in to re-charge recently (it had about 15% charge left), screen went blank and it's remained lifeless ever since. I've tried resetting by holding down the 2 buttons for 30 seconds whilst charger plugged in - screen showed a line then went dead.  Same happens without charger attached.  Contacts cleaned, no difference.  It's about 3 years old.  Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks

M

ymmv

mine did that after only 7400 miles. It also had moisture inside the screen. I guess one too many runs in the rain did it in. It had never been underwater. I sent it back to Garmin and they sent me a 'new' refurbished one to replace it for $79.00

Former runner

I've had issues with the battery on my 405 not charging and going dead. See if the charger is still working. Try plugging the cable into a USB port on a computer and see if it charges the 405. If that works it should charge the 405 battery and allow a reset.

Ross

micsnare

I'm contemplating on purchasing the Garmin 405, but before I have two questions...

1. is the 405 any different to the 405 CX? I did a search on amazon and only found the "CX" model!
          2. is the 405/cx model compatible with Running Ahead? I currently track my workouts on my android phone with the "Handy Runner" app and by getting the Garmin 405 I hope to leave the phone at home for future runs, but only if it can track my route and uploads them to Running Ahead.

your posts on the Garmin 405 puts me off from buying the thing, it breaks so easily after a few charges...... Sad

My Goals for 2012:

Run my first 5k in June in under 35 minutes

Run my 2nd 5k in September in under 33 minutes

micsnare

any ideas, anyone?! Wink

My Goals for 2012:

bobsdottir2

I am able to import from my Garmin 405 CX to RA without difficulty. 

The difference between the 405 and the 405 CX is the heart rate monitor strap... comes with the CX. 

dorunrun

Had the same "dead" issue when my 405 was fairly new.  Did what cameraready suggests, and that worked for me as well.  Battery was so dead, it took awhile, and for some reason the wall charger didn't appear to work.  It's all fine since that one incident tho (apprx. 2 yrs. later).  Good luck!

micsnare

Thanks, bobsdottir2!

Just out of curiosity, which operating system are you using to upload your data to RA? Win7?

My Goals for 2012:

bobsdottir2

Thanks, bobsdottir2!

Just out of curiosity, which operating system are you using to upload your data to RA? Win7?

I download to my MacBook Pro, currently running OS 10.7.3. 

I just plug in the ANT+ stick, go to RA training log, and upload GPS data. Pretty simple (must be if I can do it!)

micsnare

thank you very much for your answers, bobsdottir2!

your answers helped me make that choice!

i just ordered mine, and can't wait to test it! Smile

I'm using Linux (no Windows or Mac OSX available) but i hope it will still work out ok. Smile

My Goals for 2012: