Felt 'foggy'/sick and couldn't finish my run yesterday (Read 1484 times)

I recently posted remarks about never bonking on a training run, thinking it wasn't possible, then I pitifully had to have my husband pick me up yesterday 3 miles from home.

I ran in the early 60's (miles) last week with my three scheduled longest runs being 16.5, 12.5 and 14.  Given my schedule (who can do a 14 on a Thursday???), I had to do my 16.5 on Saturday and my 14 the following day.

Although I had some purposeful extra carbs and protein after my Saturday run, I'm sure I approached Sunday with a decent calorie deficit, which I didn't think too much about other than eating breakfast (toast) a couple of hours before I headed out, as opposed to running first thing.

The temperature was only in the early 80's (I've been running all through the 95 degree day), but I ended up drinking about 1 1/2 liters on my run (over 11mi), and when I was 3 miles from home I found myself continually stopping.  I reminded myself that I was only 3 miles from home, the rest was mostly shaded and the hills were minimal, but I couldn't continue.  My legs were fine, but I felt just weird.  Like a foggy brain.  I sat down for a couple of minutes, then had the urge to puke for about 15 minutes (note husband arrived in my car and not his!!).  I was convinced that if I kept going I was going to faint, which was really weird.  I didn't dehydrate because that's always accompanied by a bad headache, and I couldn't have overheated because it wasn't that hot.  I can't tell you whether I stopped sweating or not, by that point there wasn't a dry spot on my clothing, but as it wasn't that hot anyway.

I've hit the wall in a marathon twice and it was a bad feeling similar to that, only in those instances my legs at least had the courtesy of feeling dead for a few miles, yesterday my legs were totally fine.

I don't have some kind of stomach bug, I'm fine now.  Did I just run out of glycogen or something?  Now I'm wondering whether I should have carried some gu, or should have been a little more responsible calorie-wise running two long runs back to back.

#artbydmcbride

??  Don't know, but it sounds like what dehydrated feels like to me.   Eat more salty stuff?

Runners run

Becky Holtz

sounds a lot like heat exhaustion, even though you didn't feel hot....

website for heat exhaustion
        http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-heat-exhaustion/FA00020

Scout7

Well, technically, you could have overheated.

That being said, I would lean towards having lower stores of glycogen (you depleted them fairly well from the run the day before), and possibly going out too hard for the beginning for your current state (I've had similar experiences such as yours, although not as severe).

How was your appetite afterwards?  What did you do when you got home?  When did you start to feel better?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

xor

All I know is that if your intentional plan is to run 16.5 one day and 14 the next day... and it is warm... that second day may be a wee bit challenging.

(which is not to say "don't do it". I'm assuming it fits into your plan/schedule and has a purpose. Perhaps even a porpoise.)

No idea really if you should have been "more responsible" with calories, specifically.  Calories, hydration, rest, pacing... all important.

sounds a lot like heat exhaustion, even though you didn't feel hot....

website for heat exhaustion
              http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-heat-exhaustion/FA00020

Thanks for the link, I tend to agree with you.  I think some pretzels would have helped too.

Running is stupid.

running is for freaks, perverts and weirdos.

All I know is that if your intentional plan is to run 16.5 one day and 14 the next day... and it is warm... that second day may be a wee bit challenging.

(which is not to say "don't do it". I'm assuming it fits into your plan/schedule and has a purpose. Perhaps even a porpoise.)

No idea really if you should have been "more responsible" with calories, specifically.  Calories, hydration, rest, pacing... all important.

I don't have a porpoise handy, but my purpose is just to get some base miles in.

Yeah I am leaning towards it being a combination of things and not just one as I had initially assumed. 

I knew the 14 would suck big time.  My husband tried to get me to sign up for a half-marathon on Friday, for that Sunday, as his logic was I was doing that distance anyway.  I told him I'd struggle too much through it.  I figured I'd be dragging my legs the whole way but they felt fine. 

Well, technically, you could have overheated.

That being said, I would lean towards having lower stores of glycogen (you depleted them fairly well from the run the day before), and possibly going out too hard for the beginning for your current state (I've had similar experiences such as yours, although not as severe).

How was your appetite afterwards?  What did you do when you got home?  When did you start to feel better?

My pacing was ok, I wasn't hitting my longest distance, a new route, or more speed, I approached it as 'I'm going to have to drag my legs through a lot of this' and I took it easy.

I felt foggy and dizzy for probably 10 minutes (I had ignored it for 'some' period of time before stopping).  The sick feeling probably lasted 10-30.  After I got home I ate a couple of pieces of left over pizza (not ideal I know) and drank some gatorade.  I then slept for about an hour, although I had slept 8-9 hours the night before.  I felt totally fine when I work up, regular energy levels, then had a decent amount of calories including a couple of large margheritas (just to be sure) with dinner.

I think you all have summed it up well, it was probably all of the above and not one magic bullet like I had thought.  My dad and brother have both been found (twice each) laying on the ground on the pavement during a run, post-seizure, so part of me wonders whether there is any aspect of heredity that should have me paying closer attention to salt, calories, water, dehydration, etc than I do.  I just worry about my legs feeling dead and I head out the door.

You bonked.  It happens.

You ran 16.5 one day then 14 the next, in singles.

Runners run

Scout7

You bonked.  It happens.

Yeah, I agree with Mikey's assessment.  The fact that you took in calories and slept, woke up feeling alright is probably a good indicator that you were just low on fuel.

lesson learned  Undecided

Thanks all

You bonked.  It happens.

I wasn't eluding to something like epilepsy. My dad PRd with a sub-3 and my brother a 3:06, so they were really moving in their training. I wonder if given all of the above variables whether almost everyone would have had a seizure, or there's some genetic weakness there. I'm not dumb enough to try to find out.
                              I wasn't eluding to something like epilepsy. My dad PRd with a sub-3 and my brother a 3:06, so they were really moving in their training. I wonder if given all of the above variables whether almost everyone would have had a seizure, or there's some genetic weakness there. I'm not dumb enough to try to find out.

I have no idea about that.  I'm just saying that if my intention was to bonk, I'd probably go out and do a 2.5 hour-ish run today then tomorrow go out and run marathon pace for as long as it took--guessing I could get the job done in maybe 6-7 miles.  Even if I took the first 3 miles or so a bit easier than MP just to work my way into it, I don't suspect it would take more than about 9-10 miles to become a puddle on the side of the road.  It would expect that to be a fool-proof, 100% sure fire way to induce a bonk.

That's pretty much what you did.

Runners run