mattress shopping (Read 723 times)

Bugs

Can't sleep at night unless I'm twisted like a pretzel, laying on my stomach... kills my back, tightens the pecks, rounded shoulders, it ain't pretty. Totally prepared to spend $3-4K on Tempur-Pedic if it would help. What you got? Do you like it? If you got the TP did it smell bad?

Bugs

Queen of 3rd Place

The mattress industry is a big scam for quite a few reasons, the worst of which is sort of an industry-wide bait-and-switch. Don't get me started. We spent some big bucks on a mattress a few years ago and...meh. 

Then we spent the night at a friend's house and had the best night's sleep ever...on a memory foam mattress pad.Seemed expensive for a pad ($130 for full-size) but it worked. Pulled the old (rock-hard) mattress from the guest room, plopped the $130 foam pad on there, bliss, going on almost a year. 

Worth the experiment vs. $3 - 4K.

Ex runner

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When my DH's grandpa died and his grandma moved into an assisted living apartment we inherited one of their 2 nearly new queen-size guest beds.  They were high-end mattresses, but ROCK hard.  I'm a side-sleeper, so I can't do firm mattresses.  We ended up purchasing a 2" memory foam topper and the combo is the comfiest bed we've ever had.  When we're ready for a new mattress we're probably going to buy a cheap firm mattress and get a 3-4" memory foam topper.

I did sleep on a real Tempur-Pedic mattress years ago and it was REALLY comfortable, but I think we can achieve the same results with a cheap old school mattress and memory foam topper.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Bugs

Would that work with a softer mattress?

Bugs

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Probably...though it might make it REALLY soft.  That could be comfy, or it could wreck havoc on your back if you're not a side sleeper, I suppose.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Queen of 3rd Place

I don't think so, but you might as well try it if that's what you have. Good news is a firm mattress should be cheap - no pillow-top or any of that stuff. 

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

We bit the bullet on a Tempur-pedic 4-5 years ago. No regrets here, with run training and a physically hard job at times our rest is invaluable.  They have some new models that are less expensive that are still quite good, got one for my elderly dad when he didn't have room for his full size Tempurpedic when he moved into the assisted living and he likes it a great deal. Oh the smell goes away in a few months, not a big deal.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Feeling the growl again

Never tried a Tempur-Pedic but a vote here for SleepNumber mattresses.  I'm the type that seems to need varying firmness depending on how my back is doing and it's the only bed that can provide this.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Believe it or not, they have some very inexpensive, and pretty decent mattresses at Ikea, if one is near you.  And they also have the memory foam tops.

I don't know if they would hold up 10 years, but, it's worth a shot.

Jeff

We bought a Tempur Pedic about 6 months ago.  I am a little "frugal" so I was not excited about spending that much money.  I have not had one bad nights sleep since we got it.  I am now learning how important good sleep is recovery. Worth the money

A Saucy Wench

I bought a memory foam topper and hated it.  So freaking hot.  So I am afraid to try a tempurpedic.  I wouldnt mind trying a sleep number.  I need something, I end up on the couch most nights because it is so much more comfortable.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

valentinetti0

spam