On Wisconsin! (Read 2075 times)

DoppleBock

Dirty tricks all the way around - Like a $5 ho!

I thought I saw a headline somewhere saying the Republicans used a trick to push the bill through. I thought that was a bit funny, considering they were working around the "hiding outside of the state" trick.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Hi.... wow I search for "Wisconsin" and find this...... My 2 cents???

I am a union plumber...local 75..... and I support out Governor Walker. In fact, I find MOST of my union co-workers do as well. Think about it.... construction workers in general have good family supporting jobs (pro life), want their hunting rights (pro gun), pay their fair share of taxes (against 'entitlements' for able individuals) and share many other conservative values!!! I must congratulate our unions for helping us afford the livelihoods we enjoy, but I cannot understand why they insist on biting the hand that feeds us. Once our wage and benefit packages are negotiated,,, it is time for our unions to fight for our EMPLOYERS!!!! Yes....those guys are not our enemies.... so fight for the legislation that improves business climate, reduces corporate taxes, provides jobs, and keeps our private sector growing! I constantly reply to all my union emails voicing my contrary opinions.... and NEVER get a response! My apologies to Public Union friends and family, but count the blessings you have.... we know it's not your fault benefits costs rose to a level we taxpayers can no longer afford. I suggest you vote like me, for leadership that pushes for less taxes on what you earn, and you can choose what extra benefits you can afford on your own. These are my own views, and I TOTALLY respect yours, as this is not a response to any specific comment!

Geez.... I think I need a run! I'm gonna try for 6 miles today (4 is my long run so far) I run my neighborhood in the Kewaskum area, and it's very hilly. Just started running this year.... a New Years resolution that is sticking! I really enjoy that I can track my progress here. Best wishes and a hearty "cheers" to all my fellow Wisconsin runners!

xor

So.  Um.

What did we learn from the recall?

I honestly thought he'd get da hook. Really.

But one thing I was not surprised about... pro-union folks seem to believe that everyone is in their corner.  Look, I'm kind of liberal, but I am not generically pro-union, even kind of.  Guess what.  Not everyone is in your corner.  Sorry.  (I'm being sincere with my 'sorry'.  I wish stuff like this was easier)

I assume that this guy appeared elsewhere, but a big soundbite after the nonrecall here in Seattle is some dude who was very very pro-recall acting like this is the end of the world.  "This is the end of democracy!!!!" and some other stuff.  For real. Dude comes across as super duper whiny.  And.  No, it really wasn't the end of democracy.  Even if the other side outspent your side a bazillion million to your one.

But I thought he'd get da hook.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wait.

Did SRL just awaken a zombie political thread?

Wow.

Why is it sideways?

It is the news of the day, so it's not an arbitrary awakening.

xor

Wait.

Did SRL just awaken a zombie political thread?

Wow.

Yeah, what Jeff said.

Come on.  (although if you boldface "political", yeah, I would agree that me participating in a politics thread is weird, and me reanimating one is super weird.  So I rescind my Come on.  Anyway, it surprised me.  AND the soundbite dude made my head hurt)

DoppleBock

One of the largest turnout of WI voters in a long time

I am not completely sure on the guy - The previous democratic govenor lead an exolution to a large defecit Govenor Doyle took 8 years to put us in sowly in a huge hole - then Walker reversed the whole damn deficeit and built a surplus in a short period of time = revolution.

Many of the changes were needed for long term health - But Walker has put a divide up between the parties that will create an environement where no bi-partisian legislation will happen.  But that is why almost any idea gets watereed down to a mediocre state where it does little of the original good it intended. 

Walker did what he said he would do when he was elected and now he has received a majority of people saying thank you.  The problem is the minority is not just indiferent or sortof unhappy - They are feeling screwed,

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is the news of the day, so it's not an arbitrary awakening.

What SRL said.

Why is it sideways?

What SRL said.

What? That you were being a dork?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What? That you were being a dork?

"I would agree that me participating in a politics thread is weird, and me reanimating one is super weird"

Hey Jeff, SRL has a history of commenting against the presence of political threads and thread reanimations on running message boards. Justified that it might be, seemed odd that HE would be the one to do it.

Hey Jeff, I still have beer in my fridge with your name on it.

Why is it sideways?

"I would agree that me participating in a politics thread is weird, and me reanimating one is super weird"

Hey Jeff, SRL has a history of commenting against the presence of political threads and thread reanimations on running message boards. Justified that it might be, seemed odd that HE would be the one to do it.

Hey Jeff, I still have beer in my fridge with your name on it.

Hey Trent, you have a history of being a dork.

Beer will be had, but not tonight.

xor

Ok.

Jeepers.

So.  Um.

What did we learn from the recall?

I honestly thought he'd get da hook. Really.

But one thing I was not surprised about... pro-union folks seem to believe that everyone is in their corner.  Look, I'm kind of liberal, but I am not generically pro-union, even kind of.  Guess what.  Not everyone is in your corner.  Sorry.  (I'm being sincere with my 'sorry'.  I wish stuff like this was easier)

I assume that this guy appeared elsewhere, but a big soundbite after the nonrecall here in Seattle is some dude who was very very pro-recall acting like this is the end of the world.  "This is the end of democracy!!!!" and some other stuff.  For real. Dude comes across as super duper whiny.  And.  No, it really wasn't the end of democracy.  Even if the other side outspent your side a bazillion million to your one.

But I thought he'd get da hook.

Not even unions were totally in their own corner.  I saw somewhere that about 35 to 40% of union members or members of union households voted for Walker.  One unionized county highway worker that I spoke with weeks before the election said that morale in their department was way up and that none of them wanted Falk or Barrett.  Maybe they were tired of paying dues?  Who knows?

I'm sure the guy was crying about the end of democracy when he realized how much more money Obama raised and spent during the last presidential election, too.  Right?

The saddest part about all of this is how much people have invested emotionally in thinking politicians are their saviors.  I think the lady that slapped Barrett is a pretty good example.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

I vote Dem 95% of the time.  The Dems just didn't offer any message to me. 

There are a lot of people thinking Democracy died.  They spent countless hours protesting and feel they put their heart and soul into this recall.  Those people didn't help the Dems one bit. 

#1, a lot of people think a recall is not appropriate in this case.  #2, when the alternative looks loony and irresponsible you tend to stick with the side that seems more logical and offers actual solutions. 

Unfortunatly the state is divided worse than ever.  A lot of people want to say money won this.  But there was a Dem primary.  Guess who won?  The candidate who had less money poured into his coffers from the unions.  The real loser here was the public sector unions.

My guess is that this will spread to 10-15 states within the next 12 months.  The public unions shot themselves in the foot yet again.  This was not an issue worthy of a recall to 90% of the people.  And that's why despite a poor economy the incumbent had a higher margain of victory than he did just 18 months ago. 

I stayed home.  I could not bring myself to vote for Walker.  But I did not see this recall as a valid use of my state's time and money.  He didn't violate major campaign promises.  I've known who that guy is for 10 years.  He's done everything I expected him to do.  And he won once, why have a re-do? 

The sad truth is that the unions played a lot of Karl Rove tactics here and it pissed me off.  There were a lot of rumors, half-truths, lies, and exagerations spread.  Even last minute claims of a hidden love child that the pro-life Walker tried to pressure for the mother to have an abortion.  It was just kind of sickening. 

Why is it sideways?

Good analysis Doug. This is how I read the results, from an outsider's perspective: a victory for moderation and against knee-jerk "throw them out" politics. Seems like this is the only way to understand the exit polls that show Obama beating Romney even though Walker was affirmed.