How long is too long...? (Read 1150 times)

obiebyke

I'm tacking on to this old thread for a quick question: My current pair of Mizuno Wave Inspires have under 100 miles on them. But they're a bit snug. A size W7, not a thumbs width in the toe and snug in the toe box. I've been pretty comfortable on short runs, but should I get a 7.5 to rotate in now that I'm training for a half and my feet are bound to expand more with that kind of mileage?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Feeling the growl again

I've run up to about 148 miles in a week with no signs of foot expansion.  I wear the same size shoes I did 20 years ago.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I've gone from about a 7 to 9.5 over 10 yrs. Some of that is inconsistent shoe sizes (generally wear a 9-9.5 now but Hokas are 8.5 and are large) and having to buy larger to get a wide enough toebox. But I do know that squeezing my feet into my 30+ yr old xc ski boots hurts, so there's definitely some expansion. And after 13 hr of run/hike, a half size larger definitely feels better. But I'm generally  running about 10 hr/wk.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

I'm tacking on to this old thread for a quick question: My current pair of Mizuno Wave Inspires have under 100 miles on them. But they're a bit snug. A size W7, not a thumbs width in the toe and snug in the toe box. I've been pretty comfortable on short runs, but should I get a 7.5 to rotate in now that I'm training for a half and my feet are bound to expand more with that kind of mileage?

I would wait and see how you do in the snug shoes before investing in a new pair. My experience with slightly-too-snug shoes is that they are fine if you're not running that much, but start to cause problems - blisters, black toenails, tingling/numbness in the foot - once you start to do more mileage. I definitely need the thumb's width in the toe and a wide-enough toe box. But that's just me.