Scheduled down time (Read 1382 times)

eric :)

Hi all,

As you may remember, RA was sporadically unreachable for about 8 hours back in December.  It was caused by a failing network card on the firewall.  I have avoided a shut down thus far by routing traffic to the backup network card.  I have tentatively scheduled to replace the malfunctioned network card this Wednesday, June 19 at around 8 - 9 PM EDT (June 20 midnight GMT).

Since the repair will be on the firewall machine, RA will be completely unreachable for about 30 minutes, barring any unforeseen circumstances.  I never know what to expect when shutting down a server that's been running continuously for years.  After that, RA will be reachable but you'll be redirected to a message page saying RA is being upgraded.  I am taking this opportunity to install patches and upgrade the database and file servers that can't be shutdown during normal operations.  This will take up to an hour.

On a related note, I've been quiet these last several weeks because I've been busy setting up new servers.  The current set of servers have plenty of capacity.  They can easily handle 10 times the current load.  The new servers will be housed at a separate data center to spread the geographic risk.  The goal is to minimize down time to at most an hour in the event of a fatal error with the primary servers.  I will test technologies that could reduce down time to a few seconds once the dust settles.

eric Smile

A Saucy Wench

Mr. Awesome!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Thanks Eric.  You rock.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Maggie & Molly

you are incredible

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
          Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks!

steph  

Is this announcement (page/link) blocking our summary page? My page is blank but for the announcement.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Thank you for all your work

eric :)

Is this announcement (page/link) blocking our summary page? My page is blank but for the announcement.

pRed,

I am not able to reproduce this problem.  Could you send me a screen shot and include your browser info?  Thanks!

eric Smile

Firefox 21.0 http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj110/RickyDonoho/screenshot2013_zpsab33b545.jpg

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

OilCreek100.org

Thank you for all you do Eric, love RA !

Tom

HappyFeat

Thanks for taking such good care of us!!!!!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

running metalhead

Awesome mate!
                          Keep up the good work!

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                          - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                          - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                          - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                          - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                          - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Supersono99

Thank you for the updates.

Fred.Just Fred

The Internut

For the past couple of years I have worked part time at a running store.  I frequently direct customers to RA.  We sell Garmin watches among other items, and I offer RA as an alternative to Garmin's own site.  Your site is awesome, your work ethic is awesome and your technical acumen is awesome.  I'm happy to be a paid subscriber!

I'll have days when I don't think I can run a marathon. I'll have a lifetime to know that I did.

Thank you Eric.