Poor article on running marathons on abcnews.com (Read 384 times)

runmichigan

I guess I should have known better than to expect a good article on marathoning from abcnews.com, but one can always hope.  They did not even report who won Boston today, but published this piece instead.

This Is What Happens to Your Body When You Run a Marathon

At least foxnews.com reported who won Boston.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/04/20/kenyan-rotich-wins-women-race-in-11th-boston-marathon/?intcmp=latestnews

#artbydmcbride

"psychological symptoms like confusion and disorientation"

Runners run

that happens whether or not I run.

"psychological symptoms like confusion and disorientation"

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

that happens whether or not I run.

I was gonna say, that can only account for why people register.

JimR

Jason Karp.  Still trollilng.

bhearn

I'm alarmed to see that I'm using up a lot of blood. Should I be getting transfusions?

beat

Break on through

Running a marathon can compromise the immune system for several months ...

there is a sharp spike in heart rate ...

extra stress on the kidneys ...

liver goes into overdrive ...

brain swelling ...

hyponatremic runners lose their ability to remember numbers ...

Well, if you put it like that, I don't know how anyone survives a marathon!

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

He didn't say anything about ruining your knees.....  The author should have included that.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

I think the secret agenda is to limit the number of people who register for races... this marathon thing is definitely getting out of hand.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Most people don't

Well, if you put it like that, I don't know how anyone survives a marathon!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Most people don't

So, population reduced by ~30000 after yesterday. Seems like the marathon craze should be abating in a couple of years.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

ultramarathon/triathlete

Not as bad as I was expecting to read (I was expecting it to say how we'll all get heart attacks from running) but it's annoying when authors write some runners will experience this, that and the other thing but fail to mention that it's hardly anyone who will actually experience whatever they're saying some might.

Imagine if car ads went something like this: "The new Mazda 3, with power steering and a nice coat of paint. Some drivers will kill others because they will get behind the wheel after a night of boozing."

Oh, and I found it funny that the head line is This Is What Happens to Your Body When You Run a Marathon and the picture below is of a bunch of super fit people. Like it's saying... you'll become fit.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

Rockin

The OP quotes, Dr. Lewis G. Maharam, but how does Dr. Lewis G. Maharam know this? From  looking at Dr. Lewis G. Maharam's photo on the internet, he doesn't look like a marathon runner. Is he a marathon runner?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The OP quotes, Dr. Lewis G. Maharam, but how does Dr. Lewis G. Maharam know this? From  looking at Dr. Lewis G. Maharam's photo on the internet, he doesn't look like a marathon runner. Is he a marathon runner?

Inconclusive as to whether he's a runner, but he is an accomplished self promoter.

Dr. Maharam is the most trusted doctor in the sport of running.