What to eat before 5am run? (Read 1327 times)

Typically, I wake up at 4:45am, get dressed/geared-up, chug a glass of water, and I'm out-the-door by 5am for my weekday runs. I've always worked-out (regardless of type) better on an empty/semi-empty stomach early in the morning.

Well, now I'm pregnant (early 1st trimester) and the nausea is starting. Before this morning's run I knew I needed to put something in my stomach, so I grabbed an oreo--Yes, I know not the most nutrious of choices, but it was quick, easy and tasty. Big grin

So, what are some QUICK (I'm already up at 4:45am and don't want to get up any earlier), pre-run snack ideas that will be just enough to coat the stomach to ward off the nausea and won't make me feel all full/sluggish?

I'm a newbie runner and I'm up to about 12mpw, so all my runs are pretty short (3-4miles). It's not like I need the extra fuel for a long run--I just need to put something in my stomach.

Thanks!!

I see nothing wrong with oreo :-) You're pregnant, and running. Treat yourself!  

You could also try a fig netwon, or a cracker or two? 

JML

Well.....I cannot speak to the pregnancy aspect but may have a suggestion on a snack.  I frequently arrive home at the end of the day having consumed my weight in coffee.  On the occasion that this gives me an acid stomach, the evening run is somewhat queasy.    I have found that a couple of saltines will settle my stomach while not filling me up.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

I'm a morning runner who runs on an empty stomach. If i do choose ton have something, I go with light simple carbs. Why not the oreo? But some other things I've snacked on:

fistful of cheerios

half of a mini-bagel

half or a full pop-tart

piece of toast

couple pretzels or crackers

Pop Tarts for this guy. Specifically, raspberry flavored, but your taste in artificial flavors may vary.

They are my favorite pre-race food.  In fact, I'll be having one right after work today (race @ 6:30pm--no time for a real meal).

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

xor

Well, if I'm out the door 15 minutes after getting up, I'm not going to eat anything.  If I eat, it needs to be 30 minutes or an hour or two hours before I run.

Then again, I'm not going through pregnancy nausea.

Maybe a banana?  Or the previously mention fig newtons.

Or an oreo, sure.

Also: 5 responses. 5 guys.  Don't listen to us.

Thanks guys! I'm open to more suggestions, but so far the winners in my book are (1) oreos and (2) fig newtons.  Its not like I'm eating the whole package right? Big grin 

Pop tarts don't sound bad, but they require toasting time vs. grab-in-go... Pop tarts MUST be toasted--its the only way to properly eat them.

Last pregnancy (with twins) I had to keep a package of saltines on the night-stand. Hopefully, that won't be the case this time around.

Also: 5 responses. 5 guys.  Don't listen to us.

LOL  Eating is gender neutral.

xor

Eating is gender neutral, sure, but understanding pregnancy and the whole nausea aspect is something that us guy types are being Theoretical about.  We can offer up ideas and tell you what we do... whether that maps to your situation may not be all that neutral :-)

In any case, good luck.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I'd go with any thing that your stomach agrees with.   Be it oreo or not Smile

steph  

I eat Fig Newtons for something that is quick and easy, I also do the handful of Cheerios thing.  I think an Oreo is a good idea too though.

dennrunner

...  If I eat, it needs to be 30 minutes or an hour or two hours before I run...

Afraid of drowning?

DoppleBock

Leggo my Eggo.  I find I can eat pancakes and proceed right into a run.

Typically, I wake up at 4:45am, get dressed/geared-up, chug a glass of water, and I'm out-the-door by 5am for my weekday runs. I've always worked-out (regardless of type) better on an empty/semi-empty stomach early in the morning.

Well, now I'm pregnant (early 1st trimester) and the nausea is starting. Before this morning's run I knew I needed to put something in my stomach, so I grabbed an oreo--Yes, I know not the most nutrious of choices, but it was quick, easy and tasty. Big grin

So, what are some QUICK (I'm already up at 4:45am and don't want to get up any earlier), pre-run snack ideas that will be just enough to coat the stomach to ward off the nausea and won't make me feel all full/sluggish?

I'm a newbie runner and I'm up to about 12mpw, so all my runs are pretty short (3-4miles). It's not like I need the extra fuel for a long run--I just need to put something in my stomach.

Thanks!!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

A Saucy Wench

Whatever sounds palatable that day.  It will probably change from day to day.  Stock up with a variety Eat WHATEVER will sit and usually what sounds good will sit ...well if not good than better than other choices.  (Like I just got queasy THINKING about eating banana with morning sickness)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

...this is why you should never take advice from me.

Afraid of drowning?

gah.

I thought if you ran less than 30 minutes after eating you would go blind.  Or am I mixing up something else?