My quest for a BQ using Hanson (Read 229 times)

rtc

Goal: 3:15 (I’d qualify with 3:25 but wanted a buffer)

Previous PR: 3:58 at Boston, 2011. I got in as a charity runner

I used Hanson in preparation for the Baystate Marathon (10/19/2014). Overall, the program was effective (I ran a 3:13 two days ago) but I learned a lot during the training cycle; some of which may be useful to others.

Background

I’m 45 years old and have run for much of my adult life. Prior to Baystate, I ran 3 marathons. To call my first two marathon efforts mediocre, NY 1995 & 1999, gives me too much credit – I sucked in both races.

After declaring that marathons were stupid and swearing I’d never do it again, I trained harder in 2011 and PR’d Boston with a 3:58 (note: this was first time I was able to drive myself home after the race).

In 2012, I started running with others and added mileage. I had never heard of the Hanson method but my wife bought the book so I read it and decided to give the program a shot.

General Hanson Comments

Like many, I had skepticism about the Hanson method. The long run tops out at 16 miles. I wondered if the last 10 would be a death march (something I have experience with). The idea, however, is that you are running each long run on tired legs and thus simulating the last 10 miles of the race.

I started the program at the 4 week mark but I had a good base of 30-35 miles a week. Things ramped up and I stuck close to the advanced plan which tops out in the 60s.

Overall, it was tough – I’ve never pushed myself that hard each week. It wasn’t any one workout, just all the workouts plus not wanting to neglect my job and a busy family schedule (I’m married and have two boys).

The Race

No matter how many times people say “DON’T go out too fast,” I couldn’t help myself. My slowest mile during the first half was 7:18 (that should have been one of my fastest).

7:11.76

7:11.76

7:02.63

14:14.39

7:12.67

21:27.06

7:12.92

28:39.98

7:10.52

35:50.50

7:18.28

43:08.78

7:13.32

50:22.10

7:04.97

57:27.07

7:17.61

1:04:44.68

7:14.69

1:11:59.37

7:11.52

1:19:10.89

7:09.83

1:26:20.72

7:04.11

1:33:24.83

I started struggling at mile 21. I was sore at that point but my breathing was ok. There was nothing glorious about the last few miles. I had a scare at mile 25 when my right leg started to buckle – like it was going to lock up and shut down. Walking wasn’t an option because I was sure I wouldn’t be able to start again. I changed my stride and that helped a little. I crossed the finished line and walked 50 yards until I found an open piece of grass to collapse on.

7:12.12

1:40:36.95

7:14.17

1:47:51.12

7:17.79

1:55:08.91

7:16.02

2:02:24.93

7:27.31

2:09:52.24

7:21.71

2:17:13.95

7:19.38

2:24:33.33

7:30.06

2:32:03.39

7:27

2:39:30.39

7:32.53

2:47:02.92

7:51.57

2:54:54.49

7:46.58

3:02:41.07

7:38.99

3:10:20.06

2:41.73

3:13:01.79

Conclusions

Hanson is a solid training method. It works provided you put in the effort but I couldn’t say it is better than the other programs. The best program out there may be the one you can put the most into - great execution is key. Beyond this, my two biggest ‘lessons learned’ during the training cycle were:

1. Running with others adds accountability. I’d never blown off an early morning run when I’m meeting someone else. Never. As for my group, don’t be fooled by the wise-assed banter before and after each run - my running peeps are tough competitors with an infectious curiosity to see how far they can push themselves. Five of us ran yesterday (including my wife) and we left with 5 PRs. It was one of the best days of my life and it wouldn’t have been the same if they weren’t there.
    2. Prepare for the next successful run. I used to look at each run in isolation. i.e. I’m not looking forward to tomorrow’s long run and once it was over, I’d say “thank, God” and wash down a bowl of ice cream with a Sierra Nevada Pale ale. A few months ago, I started gauging my progress on how I did for the whole week and gave consideration to the connectedness between each run. On Tuesdays (speed work day), there were times I could have gone faster. But if I was hitting my paces I made a point of sticking to the plan and started thinking about that Thursday pace workout – no need to overdo it if it’s going to take from my tempo run. Similarly, ran easy days easy so I could do the Sunday long run at MP minus 45 seconds. Ultimately, it helps to always ask “what do I need to do to make my next run successful?”

Little things that helped me prepare for the next run…

• Took an ice bath once a week after my long run. I filled the tub to about 10 inches of cold water and dumped bags of ice in (my boys loved helping with this!). I did this four times for 10-12 minutes each time – yes, it was damn cold but I think it helped me recover more quickly for the next hard run
    • Took two advil and a caffeine pill one hour before my last 5 long runs and tempo runs (Sundays and Thursdays)
    • Strength training twice a week (Mon and Wed) for the entire training cycle
    • Light ballistic stretch before each run. I was good about stretching after each run and I made regular use of a roller and the stick before bed
    • Within 10 min of every run and strength training session, I drank a 12 ounce protein drink (35 grams of protein) to aide with recovery
    • One week before the race I stopped eating ice cream – a shock to my system that may have done more harm than good
    • I got lots of sleep. I rarely stay up past 9:30pm. During the week, I’d usually start my runs by 5:40am so I could get to work on time.

Some weeks back, I researched this site and it helped clarify questions I had. I wanted to return the favor by sharing my experience. I probably won’t have another race report until April 2016 (my BQ  ) but I hope there is something in here that helps another runner reach their next goal.

Ross

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congrats on your 3:13 - BQ - 12!!  You successfully put all the pieces together!

Great report on your training. Quite helpful. And congrats.

jpdeaux

Nice report and an interesting read. I don't disagree with much, except for the prophylactic Advils. And, after trying them for a while, I found a long night's sleep was as good as an ice bath for me.

But, damn, a 45 minute PR is great work! And nice job keeping up with the strength training. I'm guessing that played a role.

rtc

Thanks for the race props. Strength training made a big difference. I neglected to mention I had knee problem in 2013 - at this time last year, i wasn't running at all (i had to take 2 months off from running & started seeing a PT).Strength training can be a nuisance but it helped me heal and avoid injury during the last training cycle.

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Thanks for posting this! This is very encouraging since I am using Hansons for NY in 10 days. I was trying to work out when you got so fast from 3:58 to 3:13 and clearly it wasn't just the Hansons program. Do you think it was just adding more miles, or something else? My PR is 3:37 from 2010 and I am hoping I can shave a minute off of that. I am nowhere even close to BQ shape. I wonder if I just need to keep increasing miles, which I hope is the answer. Anyways, thanks for sharing!

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

rtc

Thanks for posting this! This is very encouraging since I am using Hansons for NY in 10 days. I was trying to work out when you got so fast from 3:58 to 3:13 and clearly it wasn't just the Hansons program. Do you think it was just adding more miles, or something else? My PR is 3:37 from 2010 and I am hoping I can shave a minute off of that. I am nowhere even close to BQ shape. I wonder if I just need to keep increasing miles, which I hope is the answer. Anyways, thanks for sharing!

Adding mileage and Hanson helped a lot. A big key with Hanson is to pick a goal pace at the beginning of the program and revolve your training around that objective. I hope your target pace has you coming in more than one minute ahead of last time - i say that because Hanson is a tough program (any good marathon program is hard). If you've done the work, getting a PR by a few minutes or more is a reasonable expectation (provided you're not injured and there aren't extenuating circumstances). You've earned it! Good luck in your race.

WheresMyMule

I'm just a noob, but I really don't like the idea of the Advil before the run. You could be masking pain that if felt, would make you stop before injury. Also, NSAID's affect blood pressure and kidney function. I'd love to hear more on this from an M.D.

Scooterscott

Great information and congrats on the BQ.  I'd like to hear more about your base build up to the 30 mpw going into the program. Was it all easy or did you vary and follow another plan prior to starting.

Did want to share that as an emergency department nurse and runner the risks of Advil (and other NSAIDS) before or during a race greatly outweigh the benefits.  It has bee documented that they increase the risks of rhabomyolisis and kidney failure.  If I can link in a good concise article later I'll update this post.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm just a noob, but I really don't like the idea of the Advil before the run. You could be masking pain that if felt, would make you stop before injury. Also, NSAID's affect blood pressure and kidney function. I'd love to hear more on this from an M.D.

Here you go.

rtc

Great information and congrats on the BQ.  I'd like to hear more about your base build up to the 30 mpw going into the program. Was it all easy or did you vary and follow another plan prior to starting.

Did want to share that as an emergency department nurse and runner the risks of Advil (and other NSAIDS) before or during a race greatly outweigh the benefits.  It has bee documented that they increase the risks of rhabomyolisis and kidney failure.  If I can link in a good concise article later I'll update this post.

The base build up wasn't hard. I didn't use a specific running program but i had done a couple of shorter triathlons (not the full ironman) which helped. After June of this year, i added a few miles a week. Getting to 40 or 50/miles each week wasn't hard. Making the jump to 60 + per week is something i found tough to balance with everything else in my life.

As for Advil, yeah, I'm sure it's not the healthiest decision I've made.

I went running this morning for the first time since the race - just 3.5 easy miles and everything felt good.