Is 3:30 unrealistic for the first time marathon runner? (Read 1813 times)

You would need a current race (probably at least a 10k or half marathon) and plug that into a calculator such as McMillan's.

That would give you a starting point but if you don't have the marathon "distance" base it would likely be a slightly optimistic result.

Here is the link for the calculator:

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

I would try to parlay your recent 5k result into an equivalent marathon time.

Ugh.. more work is needed. 

Thank you Jeff.

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

I don't know my fitness level (endurance) indeed. I am definitely a beginner.

I ran 15km (9.3m) in 1:30 in July 27 2012 during my 5K training; ran 16km (10 miles) in 1:18 in August 28 2012. I felt better in the second one.

I always doubted that I could make in 22 minutes for my first 5K as I never made it during my trial. Until 4 days before the race I did another trial, and I made it. In the race, I made it in 20:56. I don't know if the strategy helped. I used the strategy about 3% faster than the average for the 1st mile, then recovered on the second, and speed up in the final mile. What is called, positive split?

The other thing is that I don't know about the easy pace, tempo. I know the easy pace is a conversational pace, tempo is about 10k pace. But how do you guys control that?

Yesterday I did 5.1km (~3.2m) in 23:13. According to the plan, I am supposed to do an easy run. I was a little out of my breath at the end of the run. The end of my route is a 4% incline 200 meter hill. However, today I am fully recovered. I don't feel any soreness on my legs at all although I still feel some soreness on my abs, chest and butt from Monday's cross workout.

Taking your guy's comments, I now switch my plan to Higdon's 30 weeks plan:

12 weeks Spring training:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51289/Spring-Training-Intermediate-Schedule

Then maybe:

18 weeks Intermediate

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51139/Marathon-Intermediate-1-Training-Program

or 18 weeks advanced 1

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51141/Marathon-Advanced-1-Training-Program

By the way, what do MTA and sub mean?

People mentioned Hudson, Hansons, Pfitzinger, or Daniels. I bought a book called Brain Training For Runners by Matt Fitzgerald a while ago. Has anybody read that or tried his marathon training plan?

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

bhearn

By the way, what do MTA and sub mean?

People mentioned Hudson, Hansons, Pfitzinger, or Daniels. I bought a book called Brain Training For Runners by Matt Fitzgerald a while ago. Has anybody read that or tried his marathon training plan?

I've read it. Some fascinating stuff in there, but I think it's fair to say his plans have not really been tested. I started on one for a while, but switched back to Pfitzinger.

MTA means "modified to add".

It is definitely doable. I ran my first marathon in 2:51. I was not even training for a marathon. 

Goal: sub 2:40 marathon

Feeling the growl again

What's probably best is go about your running, get the best training you can, and decide on your goal closer to the race.  Your training now should have more to do with current fitness than goals.

This.  When you are newer to the sport an still improving quickly, goals more than a few weeks out are more likely to make you work too hard or under-perform (ie overly aggressive or overly conservative) than to gear your training/racing accurately.

Do the training, just see where you are closer to the race and set goals then.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

It is definitely doable. I ran my first marathon in 2:51. I was not even training for a marathon. 

Okay, but that is just insane!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Right. So someone who is actually training for their first marathon should probably be able to run 2:30 or better.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Right. So someone who is actually training for their first marathon should probably be able to run 2:30 or better.

I assume the point he is making is that no time is unrealistic for a marathon simply because it's your first time. Your current fitness, background,  running history, race strengths etc. all contribute. 

In the same way I can imagine a 20 min 5k runner no struggling to run 3:30 in a debut marathon, I also don't think it would be too much of a struggle for a 14 flat guy to run under 2:40 or better in a debut. 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

The vast majority of average runners will struggle to get below 3:30 hours on their first marathon. As said before there are a ton of factors that contribute to a runners time. Age, training history, size, general health, the course itself(hilly vs not), etc. I am in a running group and many who have trained for years with 40+ miles per week can't get under 3:30 and some under 4:00. The case quoted above is very rare. Sub 3 hour marathons for accomplished runners is very rare.

Mike   http://mtaricani.blogspot.com

"Keep Calm and Run On"

Ive just completed my third marathon in 3:43:32 and aim to complete sub 3:30 by next April. Anyone suggest any good training plans to achieve this from the position I'm in now? I followed advanced marathoning 55 miles per week plan to get to this latest marathon. Would you say more of the same but from a slightly faster target pace? More speed work (I guess 20:13 5k pb suggests I have the speed already)? This latest marathon I was able to run even splits so felt in control of the run (aimed sun 3:45), whereas first 2 faded towards to end. With 2km to go I did start to fade a little this time but knew I was comfortably under 3:45 yet not going to break 3:40 so I think mentally I accepted that was where I would be.

Ive just completed my third marathon in 3:43:32 and aim to complete sub 3:30 by next April. Anyone suggest any good training plans to achieve this from the position I'm in now? I followed advanced marathoning 55 miles per week plan to get to this latest marathon. Would you say more of the same but from a slightly faster target pace? More speed work (I guess 20:13 5k pb suggests I have the speed already)? This latest marathon I was able to run even splits so felt in control of the run (aimed sun 3:45), whereas first 2 faded towards to end. With 2km to go I did start to fade a little this time but knew I was comfortably under 3:45 yet not going to break 3:40 so I think mentally I accepted that was where I would be.

If it works with your schedule, running more mile per week & month is key. More miles will also help your 5K time come down. 

bhearn

I took the liberty of looking over your log, because I was a bit puzzled. Honestly, my opinion is that somebody your age (early 40s) and weight (145) should have no trouble going under 3:30 on Pfitzinger's 55 mpw plan, assuming most of the workouts are completed successfully. 

I couldn't quite match up the workouts to the schedule, but it does look like the mileage was mostly there, except the last week was very light. I didn't see any VO2Max work, though, and what looked like LT / tempo was probably done at too slow a pace. If your goal is 3:30, you want to think something like 7:30 - 7:35 pace for those LT runs.

So I would say that yes, setting a faster target pace would help, and don't skip the speedwork. Also I didn't see any tune-up races, except for a 15K run at 9:10 pace; was this a trail race? Best to get in 2-3 road races, 5k - half marathon (even though Pfitzinger doesn't have you race longer than 15k).

If you think you can handle more mileage, then sure, step that up as well, but I'd bet the 55 mpw plan will get you there, with better execution and target-pace setting. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I assume the point he is making is that no time is unrealistic for a marathon simply because it's your first time. Your current fitness, background,  running history, race strengths etc. all contribute. 

In the same way I can imagine a 20 min 5k runner no struggling to run 3:30 in a debut marathon, I also don't think it would be too much of a struggle for a 14 flat guy to run under 2:40 or better in a debut. 

Ohh. As may have been obvious, that point went over my head. Thanks for explaining.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Just did it last year: First marathon, just started running 9months before, 39yo.  This thread ends with my race report: 3:32. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/722ea580d0024517a51286802c4960fc

So, yeah, I'd say it's possible.  My 5K times were near yours.  Good luck!

The thread and your dedication is very inspiring. I am going to switch to Pfitzinger's 55 mpw plan.

My question is the the plan only has 18 weeks. I have 28 weeks to go. Anyone has a suggestion how I can fill the gap in these 10 weeks?

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)