Moving back to cotton running shirts. (Read 501 times)

Latent Runner

This week I've upped my mileage to previously unprecidented levels and due to the warm summer weather conditions, I've been wearing "Tech" running shirts of various compositions.  I figured out a long time ago that when I wear a Tech shirt I need to wear bandaids over my nipples to prevent bleeding, however, last weekend I started noticing several rash marks along the edge of my rib cage and shoulder blades, and each run made them worse.

Wednesday, a day which featured a heat index in the upper 90s, I opted to wear a cotton shirt, and in spite of the sweat ladened cotton, when I finished my run I noticed my rash marks weren't as red and angry looking.  I repeated the experiment last night on a cool(ish) run where the heat index was only in the mid 80s, and once again, my rash marks looked like they were diminishing.

Yes, wearing cotton is less comfortable than wearing a Tech shirt, but geez, the resulting rash isn't comfortable during the rest of the day, so I'm just going to suck it up and go back to cotton shirts, at least until Sunday.  Maybe when I drop my mileage back down to my normal levels next week the Tech shirts won't be such a problem.

Anybody else had this issue?

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    Marylander

I ditched the tech shirts awhile ago. They are more abrasive to me (even the ones that feel smooth) and I sweat so much that I overload the supposed wicking and end up with a drenched shirt anyway.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

ditch the sandpaper-stenchsponge-polyesther (aka Tech shirt).  Go for wool instead.  Heavy when wet?  Yes.  But a snug wool shirt doesn't stink the next day and is nice to your nipples.

http://us.icebreaker.com/

(though, you can find them cheaper at http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~icebreaker/?perPage=24

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Feeling the growl again

There are synthetic running shirt materials thinner and less abrasive than "tech" shirts.  When I actually have to wear a shirt in the summer I have an Adidas ClimaCool shirt that does not cause the problems you note.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Marylander

Ah, yes, wool. I bought a long sleeve light wool shirt last winter and was amazed at how awesome it was. They really don't pick up your body odor. I've since gotten a bunch of other wool stuff (mostly thrift store stuff and not light enough for running). I had intended to get some for warmer weather but had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder! If you do sierra trading you've got to watch for the codes. You can often take 25-45% off their prices using codes you can find online.

Why is it sideways?

Shirts off, baby!

Latent Runner

Shirts off, baby!

He-he, clearly you don't run on the trails in my neck of the woods.  It's bad enough I need to spread liberal amounts of bug juice on my arms, face and neck, and legs (I also spray it on my shirts).  If I was to go shirtless I'd either need to bathe in bug juice before a run, or end up getting carried away by them as they took me away to feed on my bloodless corpse.

Fat old man PRs:

Why is it sideways?

I run in a lot of buggy areas, but I am too fast for them to catch me. /elitist prick

Latent Runner

I run in a lot of buggy areas, but I am too fast for them to catch me. /elitist prick

You know what?  If you're fast enough to keep those suckers off of you, then my hat's off to you, elitist prick or no.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

Why is it sideways?

I am sure that the bugs are different everywhere -- I am glad that they don't seem to bother me.

MrH

Or there's something in your diet that tastes bad to them. 

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Mysecondnewname

There are synthetic running shirt materials thinner and less abrasive than "tech" shirts.  When I actually have to wear a shirt in the summer I have an Adidas ClimaCool shirt that does not cause the problems you note.

In the summer, I wear singlets, but have been surprised how different "tech" fabrics wear even amongst the various lines within a single brand.  I've also found the cut of the singlet and placement of the seams makes a difference in terms of abrasion. I think the Nike Raceday stuff is the most abrasive.  The Adidas ClimaCool singlets are much softer, and the new Brooks Infiniti singlet, while pricey, is my current favorite.

Half Fanatic #846

"Cotton is rotten" for me when running - too heavy, especially when wet. During the summer I wear singlets/sleeveless tees and I know which ones are apt to chafe where the OP described, but I might wear one of those on a really short (3-4 mile) run w/o a problem. For long runs I'll smear some Vaseline on the affected areas (and in the past, 2 band-aids - although haven't needed band-aids this year ).

Tech shirts are made of various materials and weaves, but  it seems like  100% "wicking" polyester gives me no problems. I'll have to monitor that and adjust my future running shirt purchases if true...

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Latent Runner

"Cotton is rotten" for me when running - too heavy, especially when wet. During the summer I wear singlets/sleeveless tees and I know which ones are apt to chafe where the OP described, but I might wear one of those on a really short (3-4 mile) run w/o a problem. For long runs I'll smear some Vaseline on the affected areas (and in the past, 2 band-aids - although haven't needed band-aids this year ).

Tech shirts are made of various materials and weaves, but  it seems like  100% "wicking" polyester gives me no problems. I'll have to monitor that and adjust my future running shirt purchases if true...

I haven't had too much of a problem with the Tech shirts, nipples being the significant exception, on my normal daily runs (either a hilly 9-mile trail run or a flat(ish) 10-mile trail run); this week I'm averaging just over 17 miles per day and I think that's what has made the difference.  Today will be my last long run (16 will put me over my 100 mile goal) for the week and tomorrow I'll settle back into my normal 9-10 mile routine.  Hopefully I'll be able to wear the Tech shirts again.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've received a couple of "tech" (meaning synthetic, I think) race shirts that are a really comfy, soft fabric.  They may not wick as well as the coarse-weave ones, but they're quite nice.  Can't tell you the brands until I get home to look at the tags.  All that said, wool is the best.

MTA:  Just checked, and one of the above is branded "Sport-Tek" and is 95% polyester, 5% Spandex.  It's a nice, soft, fine weave, but I don't think it "breathes" quite as well as the scratchy ones.  One of the latter actually says it's made with bamboo fiber.