And doubt creeps in - A ranting introduction (Read 734 times)

Freblame

Good morning all, I have been using the log on this site for the past couple of weeks and lurking in the forums occasionally. However, I thought it time I introduce myself following the worst run of my year and a need to rant. It was one of those spectacular runs which causes one to truly doubt why anyone would choose to run at all. It began this morning at 5:45. The heat in Wisconsin is near unbearable currently, and the humidity no better. After reaching bed nearly two hours late last evening, a one year old who chose not to sleep much of the night, and poor eating yesterday, I woke up prepared for a less than stellar run. However, I've been running ten mile longs the past few weeks, and having decided to take a rest this week convinced myself seven miles would still be a breeze. Of course, one mile in I haven't woken up yet. Two miles in I am ready to stop, completely energyless and exhausted. By mile four I've conceded to walk hills in hopes of completing my mileage. Eventually I do finish the seven miles having walked every hill after mile four. Now I sit here with that little, lazy devil who loves to sit on the couch watching bad TV and movies eating brats, fries, ice cream and soda asking me how much worse the world would be if I simply skipped my run next tuesday, thursday, saturday, sunday, the following tuesday........ AAARRRGGGHHH. Runners high is such a wonderful feeling, but runners low absolutely miserable. I apologize for the unreasonably long post. I hope everyone has a better experience this morning.
    vicentefrijole

Runners high is such a wonderful feeling, but runners low absolutely miserable.
      Well said! And there's nothing like the heat, lack of sleep, or some combination thereof to really give you the lows! I'm currently visiting in Madison WI and so I think we probably have similar weather. The humidity is unbearable! I ran yesterday morning and afterward felt like I was going to keel over! Tongue It didn't make me feel much better to see that the very tip of Southern Florida was cooler than it was here in the midwest! Glad you finally introduced yourself! Don't worry about the length of your posts.. you're in good company (lots of ultra-long posters here) and we really do seem to read it all! I hope your next run is cooler (it is supposed to cool off a bit by Thurs?)! p.s. Is the "little, lazy devil who loves to sit on the couch watching bad TV and movies and eating brats, fries, icecream, and soda" your one-year old? or is that your alter-ego? I hope it's the latter... Wink Big grin
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yay, another Cheesehead!!! I spent the first 20 years of my life in that great state--now I reside on the other side of Lake MI, where it is also hotter 'n Hades. Ran a 10k race in this crap at 9AM yesterday and am so thankful that it was not my first race (which was absolutely heavenly, by comparison...in terms of weather and the race organization), since I am certain it would have been my last. I had a really horrible run a month or so ago. It was only about 3 miles, but I had shin splints and had to walk about half of it...and it was ideal weather. Just keep in mind that Fall is coming and before you know it all of us runners this side of the Mason-Dixon will be whining that it is too cold, icy, and windy to run (though right at this moment I would take that in a heartbeat). BTW, welcome. Have a brat and some cheese curds for me. Next year my family is planning to participate in the 4 mile Johnsonville Brat Trot. I'm already eagerly anticipating that fun race! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

If it's true that misery loves company, I can tell you that I seriously melted this morning on a 7 1/2 miler. It was very hot and very humid. It will get better.
            Man, it must be going around, because last week I was ready to throw in the towel and quit forever. Like, never run ever again. I went through the wringer last week. Monday I had a horrible run, and when I got back to my car I just left without saying anything to any of my running buddies, and then that evening I emailed my coach essentially questioning the very basis of the past two years of my life as a competitive runner. The rest of the week was not much better, because I just stopped eating our of depression, which didn't help on any of my subsequent runs, which led me to be even more angry and demoralized. Then on Thursday, I ran an exceedingly horrible 5K, the worst one I had ever run, and I was trying too, and i just told everyone that I was done. But I went for a run on Saturday after hearing a good verse from the Bible (Romans 5:3-5), and I encountered a guy on a bike who just looked me in the eyes and said "Keep going," right when I was deciding whether or not I should just throw in the towel for the day and take a few weeks off. So I did. And I decided right then and there that I wasn't going to quit, because I know that's not part of my personality, and it's not part of any runner's, either. We are a determined bunch, and even when the scene looks the most bleak, when you wake up the next morning, you will crave it, and you will run. "Runners high is such a wonderful feeling, but runners low absolutely miserable." I agree with vicentefrijole, great quote. It's the undying truth, that's for sure! But just remember that it is indeed a low, meaning that it's less than average, and that there will be better days. Just keep truckin, and know that yoru determination and resolve will win out in the end. Long live endorphins!!! Big grin And hey, there is nothing wrong with ice cream and soda! Wink
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I encountered a guy on a bike who just looked me in the eyes and said "Keep going," right when I was deciding whether or not I should just throw in the towel for the day and take a few weeks off.
              I think I forgot to tell you guys about the lady I met up with on the path when I was running last week. She was a heavier-set middle-aged woman carrying a bag of groceries from the little store near us (probably to one of the nice condos right off the path). She smiled at me and said "I'm so proud of you!" That has stuck with me ever since. She has probably seen me run by more than once, since I often go by that condo complex. I'll bet these people who give us casual kudos have no clue how motivating they really are. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

"Runners high is such a wonderful feeling, but runners low absolutely miserable." I agree with vicentefrijole...
                Wish I could take credit, but that bit of wisdom (so true too!) belongs to Freblame.. (see the original post).. just wanted to make that clear, for posterity's sake. Wink It is funny, isn't it, how an absolute stranger can be so motivating... my second (and most recent) marathon was in 90 degree heat and I wasn't prepared for the side effects. I walked more than a little, but when I was about to give up, from the side I heard the voice of a spectator say "Do it..." Such a simple phrase.. how did she know it was just what I needed to hear? I didn't set any records, but I did finish.