Running with PF? (Read 1755 times)

My prewash:)

Hi all!  Just wondering how many of you have had plantars and continued to run with it?  I am experiencing my second go around with it, but in my other foot.  I don't want to stop running again and used to hurt whether I ran or not anyway.  Darn this injury!!

"Carpe Diem"

jeffdonahue

I ran with it last year.  It healed but probably slower than it would have if I had stopped for a while.  It took about 6 months to heal fully while still running every day.  I did exercises regularly with it - rolling it on a frozen coke bottle and rolling a golf ball under my foot.

i sacrificed the gift

A reoccuring injury for me.  Have had it several times and running or not running seems to have little effect on amount of pain or recovery.  With what I have experienced now, I would not reduce mileage for this injury again.

Often times, it would hurt more the day after a rest day than the day after a run.

It's an insidious mother bitch of an injury that sucks out your will to train though.  You MUST actively manage your recovery or you will get nowhere.

Things that worked for me:

Foot Log

Triggerpoint therapy on the soleus

Static stretching soleus

Proprioceptive exercises (primarily walking backwards on heels)

Strengthening exercises with toes (pull up a flat towel on the floor into a ball with your toes)

Balance training (I guess this falls under proprioceptive exercises)

Weight loss

Things that did not work for me:

Orthotics (custom or OTC)  (but these are standard practice for PF and must work for a lot of people ... just didn't work for me)

Minimalism/Barefoot running

Corticosteroids

Strassburg sock

I still do all the stuff on the Things that worked for me list, at least once every week, even though I have been free of PF for about 2 years now.  If I keep doing this, I do not think it will come back.

The one thing that I would be extremely cautionary about is Corticosteroids.  If a doc offers them to you for this, just say no.  They screwed me up bad, probably moreso than the original injury.

Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
        Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
        Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA

The shirtless wonder

I had it for about two years but I think it was more mild for me than for many.  It pretty much never hurt while running.  I didn't stop running and I eventually gave up on recommended exercises, stretching, and massaging.

It kind of went away on its own.

I ran for six years without this issue, but came down with it last year. Last year I also added running every day and barefoot running to my routine. I stopped both, and have just about recovered; though every now and then I get a painful sensation in the area. I think it is a reminder to not do crazy things. Good luck
            stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I run with it. It hurt the most at the peak of my marathon training, even while running (it would stop hurting a couple of miles in, usually).  It's a bit better now, but it's still there. Taunting me.  That bastard Plantar Fasciitis.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

BeeRunB

Hi all!  Just wondering how many of you have had plantars and continued to run with it?  I am experiencing my second go around with it, but in my other foot.  I don't want to stop running again and used to hurt whether I ran or not anyway.  Darn this injury!!

You can run with it, but why not get rid of it?

I had it for a year. I tried rest, night splints, Advil, stiffer

and more cushioned shoes, etc. After a bunch of

researching, I came to the conclusion that might

feet were weak, while I had very strong calf

muscles. I switched (slowly) to the Nike Free,

which is a flatter, more flexible shoe with no

plastic, splinting crap on the bottom. I completely

stopped wearing any kind of stiff shoe for everyday use, and began

wearing Converse All-Stars (flexible, flat). I began to always walk

barefoot around the house. I do foot exercises. I don't stretch my feet,

or my calves. Just work on slow movements that help increase range

of motion. Once I started with the flat, flexible shoes, barefoot in the house,

strengthening without stretching, it improved within a few weeks and was gone

in about 4-6 weeks. It has never returned. I got rid of the strength imbalance.

This worked for me. It might not, or it might, work for you.

I also found that the less cushioning I have in my shoe, and the flatter, the

easier I hit the ground, and the more mid-foot.

--Jimmy

gregw

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/e739af1c574f4afa996ecab9d43cf536

I basically said the same thing as Jimmy.  I ran through it with taping, "The Sock," etc., but going to more flexible shoes seemed to "cure" me.  I'm now running in the Free 3.0, which I love.  I was cautious about the migration from the marshmallowy beasts I was running in (Mizuno Wave Creation) to what I wear now and did it over time.

I also believe tight calves are an issue and a foam roller or other kinds of massage can help.

MTA:  PF seems to vary wildly in the root cause for individuals and you have to figure out what the specific cause is for you, so you can look at all these replies as "things to try."

Last go around I stopped running and just did the stretching etc and it went away eventually after about a year off.  I don't want to take that year off again bc it kills me to not run.  Running is my one thing that I am somewhat good at and love to do! 

I guess I will keep trying the triggerpoint therapy on calves and yoga.  I know mine comes from tight calves so I am rolling like a sum bitch.  I spent $$$ on orthotics (didn't work) and chiro( which did help but can't afford now ) last go around.

I WILL BEAT YOU PF!!!!

"Carpe Diem"

ezrida

Hi

I am also running and I am dealing with plantar fasciitis for more than a year now. There are many things you can do to treat your PF although I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one it may not work for the other.

I understand that you did not try taping? I have found it very useful. Taping will keep your foot from getting injured again and will help you get through your daily routine. There are a few Taping techniques you can find in YouTube - just type "Plantar Fasciitis Taping" in YouTube or google search.

Think about your gait. This is the key for your recovery.

Try swimming and riding a bicycle. I used to run and I got plantar fasciitis so I started to swim and cycle. Today I’m better with my PF so I ended up as a triathlete.

I also found a very informative website in: http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com

Take care & Good luck

<script></script>

12-week layoff

I had it for years, and run with it.  Tried orthotics, the boot...nada.  They I sprained my ankle, and iced it every night, because it was sore after I started running again.  I used a soft, covered wrap that velcroed to my ankle, propped my foot up while I was watching TV, and kept the sucker on until it wasn't cold anymore.  It took a while, but the PF went away. 

Darn ankle still hurts, though.  Every.  Stinkin. Run.

Prince of Fatness

Try some barefoot running.  Just a little at a time.  Ease into it.

Not at it at all. 

BeeRunB

Last go around I stopped running and just did the stretching etc and it went away eventually after about a year off.  I don't want to take that year off again bc it kills me to not run.  Running is my one thing that I am somewhat good at and love to do! 

I guess I will keep trying the triggerpoint therapy on calves and yoga.  I know mine comes from tight calves so I am rolling like a sum bitch.  I spent $$$ on orthotics (didn't work) and chiro( which did help but can't afford now Wink last go around.

I WILL BEAT YOU PF!!!!

I should have added that I went with the idea that first year that my calves were tight, but stretching not only gave me calf problems, but the PFitis never got better. Strengthen your feet, but don't static stretch them. When you stretch the calves you are also stretching the plantar, probably not a good thing to do to an injured tissue. Strengthen the feet, and things will balance out, and take the stress of the plantar F. Barefoot, flat flexible shoes, and foot exercise like slow foot rolls, picking up things with your toes, separating your toes, and other movements will help them strengthen. That's all I got, take it or leave it. Good luck. I hope it heals someday for you.  --Jimmy

Half Fanatic #846

Strengthen the feet, and things will balance out, and take the stress off the plantar F.  Barefoot, flat flexible shoes, and foot exercise ...  will help them strengthen.

FWIW, this regimen worked for me too after several months.  I still follow it (although to a lesser degree now) because when I don't, it feels like the PF starts to come back.  I experimented with most of the other things mentioned here also. There's no easy answer.  Whatever you try, give it a solid chance to work for you - then if it does, stick with it.  Also make sure to exercise/strengthen both feet equally so that you don't create other imbalances.

MTA: I stopped running for a few months (went to cycling and elliptical for awhile).

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I understand that you did not try taping? I have found it very useful. Taping will keep your foot from getting injured again and will help you get through your daily routine. There are a few Taping techniques you can find in YouTube - just type "Plantar Fasciitis Taping" in YouTube or google search.

Think about your gait. This is the key for your recovery.

Try swimming and riding a bicycle. I used to run and I got plantar fasciitis so I started to swim and cycle. Today I’m better with my PF so I ended up as a triathlete.

I also found a very informative website in: http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com

Take care & Good luck

Thank you!  I will try this method too.  I am going to start the foot exercises also and see if that helps.  You guys are the best!

"Carpe Diem"