I DID UNDER A 10 MINUTE MILE!!! (Read 952 times)

GUYS I DID IT!! I finally skipped the gym and did a run outside today. A new course I made online but hadn't seen in person. It was a 2.19 mile run, with both a lot of up and down hills. It was also really cold outside and everything, but I did it in 20:23 ... so that's a 9:19 mile! The only problem I had was I wasn't sure how to handle hills .. Confused
    "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine

The Greatest of All Time

Team America...Fu*k Yeah! Congrats!!! Take them hills, take 'em!
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        Team America...Fu*k Yeah! Congrats!!! Take them hills, take 'em!
        Thanks, man!! heh should i be slowing down when going downhill or leaning a certain way?
        "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine

The Greatest of All Time

Thanks, man!! heh should i be slowing down when going downhill or leaning a certain way?
          I have no idea. I just run down them. Never really thought much about it.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            I have no idea. I just run down them. Never really thought much about it.
            hahah. Sounds good.

The voice of mile 18

go that way really fast if something gets in your way -Turn. I don't think so I let gravity do the work on the downhills congrats on the run

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

go that way really fast if something gets in your way -Turn. I don't think so I let gravity do the work on the downhills congrats on the run
                Thanks a lot!
                  Good job breaking ten. Keep building that mileage and you'll be breaking 8:00 soon. Try to run your hills at the same intensity both up and down. In other words your heart rate and breathing should stay roughly the same whether you are climbing a hill or descending. Obviously you'll need to adjust your pace accordingly to compensate for the grade. Be careful to stay off your heels when going down the hills. Lean slightly down them and shorten your stride to maintain control. It'll feel weird at first but your legs (quads) will thank you for it. Tom
                  jeffdonahue

Just like my signature below - thank you Charles DeMar. Anyway, for hills I dont try to power up them in most cases (unless I am doing hill repeats). What you want to do is work off of a Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE). What this means is that you want the effort you are putting into running to feel the same on the flats as it does on the hill. This will mean slowing down on the hill. One article I read (and this is what I do) said that you should keep your turnover rate the same, but shorten your strides to keep the effort the same. As you crest the top of the hill, take keep your strides short and take 8-10 quick steps. This will help get your speed back up. This also works after you take a right hand turn - you lose momentum on turns like this and this little drill can help get you back up to pace. For downhills, I tend to lean into them and let gravity pull me down. Lean in a little and just pick up your feet. I actually try not to brake too much because that really puts a pounding on your quads. Not that I am the best hill runner, but that's what I do.
                      Good job breaking ten. Keep building that mileage and you'll be breaking 8:00 soon. Try to run your hills at the same intensity both up and down. In other words your heart rate and breathing should stay roughly the same whether you are climbing a hill or descending. Obviously you'll need to adjust your pace accordingly to compensate for the grade. Be careful to stay off your heels when going down the hills. Lean slightly down them and shorten your stride to maintain control. It'll feel weird at first but your legs (quads) will thank you for it. Tom
                      Thanks very much! Yeah, i've heard they can kill your quads .. that's why I asked!
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Be careful to stay off your heels when going down the hills. Lean slightly down them and shorten your stride to maintain control. It'll feel weird at first but your legs (quads) will thank you for it. Tom
                        Yep...makes a lot of difference, I have found. Nice job on that run! You're just going to get faster and faster...and running outdoors is SO great! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay