Shins (Read 808 times)

robinsongal

Okay I have major shin splints, and I am running on my varsity track. I'm a freshman, and can't seem to get rid of them, any ideas?
      It depends how "major" they are. If they are really bad, you will have to take time off from practice. I'm no expert, but I think the way to go is heat, massaging and elevation are some of the things that they tell you to do. I would suggest asking your coach. He might get wicked angry at you, but he'll know what do do (unless he/she is one of the stupid coaches out there). On a side note, congrats on being one of the varsity runners as a Freshman. I'll be lucky to get into ANY varsity races this year. Good luck this season (and with the shin splints).
      PRs: 1000: 3:01 1 Mile: 4:55 2 Mile: 10:55 2009 Goals: Sub 4:50 mile, 2:50 1000 meter, Good first real XC season

SMART Approach

Always heat before activity (running), ice after. Also, include calf stretching regularly and do dorsiflexion (front shin muscle strengthening) exercises. These things may allow you to work through it. Or may not. I had chronic shin splints for 2 years. Ultimately, for me, orthotics were the answer but did function ok by heat, then ice, regular calf stretching and dorsiflexion 3 X per week. Rest may be needed at season end to fully heal. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--11638-0,00.html?cm_mmc=Active-_-A%20Runner's%20Shin%20and%20Calf-_-Article-_-Get%20Stronger%20Lower%20Legs http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Understanding_the_Calf_and_Shin_to_Prevent_Injury.htm?act=EMC-eNews_Run_0308&Link=11

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

robinsongal

They are really bad, they send shocks up my legs, and if I over run them, I can't move. Thank you both for the help. Big grin
          jck

I would suggest trying inserts they have really helped my ankle and shin pains. the Sole brand lets you try them for something like 90 days if they don't work you can return for a full refund.
            Clark 2008 Goals Run HM under 2hrs done-1:50 Run First Full Marathon Sept 14th 4:00 Finish all home projects---ya right
              They are really bad, they send shocks up my legs, and if I over run them, I can't move. Thank you both for the help. Big grin
              Eek. I hope it's only shin splints. I don't want to mention what can come next.
                Hi - I was talking to my Physiotherapist and she suggested that I do this excerise on my recovery days. The excercise is simply - Curling your toes and tapping your foot. I have been doing it everyday for a few minutes at a time while sitting at my desk. It has not cured my shin splints completely but has greatly reduced the pain and frequency. I am hoping in time they will be gone. Smile
                robinsongal

Wow I have been working on some of those tips, I was able to run in my meet yesterday and PRed thanks everyone Big grin