Seriously: You need a new Android app (or an update to the old one). (Read 428 times)

Here's the thing: I LOVE RUNNINGAHEAD! I love that it's mostly data driven. I love that it's not all about integrating with facebook and all this other social bullshit that mapmyrun, runkeeper, runtastic, et. al., are all about. I just want to see my data, and RA allows for that.

But the only Android app that integrates with RA hasn't been updated since 2010 (That's THREE YEARS!!!) and is a buggy pile of crap. It has become completely unusable for me, and looking through the reviews of the app, it seems that others are having the same problems. Basically, if the app loses focus (if you get a text-message pop-up, if you take a call, if you stop to take a photo, if you switch over to Pandora to change tracks, etc.), it stops recording and doesn't save anything.

Why hasn't this been addressed? I would HAPPILY pay good money for a decent app to continue using RA, but as it is, I've been forced to use what I consider to be inferior services that just don't offer what I want (which is to see my data in a logical way without all the fancy crap and emphasis on social integration). Every once in a while, I come back to RA/Handy Runner to see if anythings been changed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wait...what's that sound I hear...?  Oh, yeah, the waaaahmbulance!

The existing Handy Runner app was created by a runner who no longer is active on RA and hasn't been for years (truly active RA users are well aware of this), so don't come in here whining and implying that Eric is somehow responsible.  If you would pay good money for a new app, then why not consider paying to learn to create your own RA app?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

What my friend, the Zoominator, is trying to say is that it is most unfortunate that you are experiencing difficulties with the only Android app that interfaces with RA.  That said, the app is not a product that is provided by RA, but a tool that was quite well matched that was developed by a user and not by RA. The RA creator has no connection to the Android app you are using.  If you have issues with the RA site, please voice them here and help us work together to improve the overall user experience.  If you have issues with the creator of the Android app, your concerns are noted, but should be directed to the Android app creator.

Thank you for your patronage, enjoy your next run!

Kindest regards,

Satisfied RA Users...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

eric :)

mchlwllmthms,

What my friend jlynnbob the ultra runner is trying to say is that I would love to create mobile apps for the site.  However, I currently do not have the resources (time and money) to do so.  Unlike all other run tracking websites, RA is free for all to use.  There are no premium membership fees.  It is supported by the meager ad revenue, and the even smaller amount of subscription/donation money for the folks that don't want to see the ads.

I recognize that the future of computing will be in the mobile market and that RA needs to have apps to grow.  At the moment, it is just not possible.  At this time, I am hoping my fellow developers would help me create some apps that would interact with RA.

Feeling the growl again

... the even smaller amount of subscription/donation money for the folks that don't want to see the ads.

Or, who don't mind the ads but simply appreciate all of the work product that you do provide us for free.  Smile

Sorry, off-topic, carry on.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Julia1971

Why do people need apps for everything? I'm no Luddite - well maybe I am since I just have up my old BlackBerry - but, even I managed to do and see almost everything I need via the Internet browser on my phone. I don't get why everything needs an app.

Shorter version: leave Eric alone and get off my lawn.

Wait...what's that sound I hear...?  Oh, yeah, the waaaahmbulance!

The existing Handy Runner app was created by a runner who no longer is active on RA and hasn't been for years (truly active RA users are well aware of this), so don't come in here whining and implying that Eric is somehow responsible.  If you would pay good money for a new app, then why not consider paying to learn to create your own RA app?

This is the suggestions and feature requests area, is it not? Considering that RA is actively linking to this app, I feel that RA has some level of interest in this matter. Maybe I didn't post all over the forums and I'm not really interested in knowing who everyone is (again, I stated that I'm not interested in the social aspect), I WAS an active RA user, but am no longer because of the problems I experienced with the app (another reason RA should consider taking some ownership in the matter: loss of users).

So, from my viewpoint, assuming this Eric person has the users' interests in mind, he IS responsible to a certain degree. Hell, if he would publish an API for the site, I WOULD write an app for it.

mchlwllmthms,

What my friend jlynnbob the ultra runner is trying to say is that I would love to create mobile apps for the site.  However, I currently do not have the resources (time and money) to do so.  Unlike all other run tracking websites, RA is free for all to use.  There are no premium membership fees.  It is supported by the meager ad revenue, and the even smaller amount of subscription/donation money for the folks that don't want to see the ads.

I recognize that the future of computing will be in the mobile market and that RA needs to have apps to grow.  At the moment, it is just not possible.  At this time, I am hoping my fellow developers would help me create some apps that would interact with RA.

Thanks for the response. This makes sense. I do appreciate RA, so if my post came off as rude, I apologize. Like I said, I LOVE running ahead, I just wish I could use it the way I need to, and it's frustrating. I've posted this here before and gotten no response, and I've also attempted to contact the app developer with zero response as well.

Or, who don't mind the ads but simply appreciate all of the work product that you do provide us for free.  Smile

Sorry, off-topic, carry on.

Thanks for the reminder! It's definitely time to make another donation.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Why do people need apps for everything? I'm no Luddite - well maybe I am since I just have up my old BlackBerry - but, even I managed to do and see almost everything I need via the Internet browser on my phone. I don't get why everything needs an app.

+1

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks for the response. This makes sense. I do appreciate RA, so if my post came off as rude, I apologize. Like I said, I LOVE running ahead, I just wish I could use it the way I need to, and it's frustrating. I've posted this here before and gotten no response, and I've also attempted to contact the app developer with zero response as well.

Wait...you "love RA," but don't use the forums and your log appears mostly unused, as well.  Does not add up....  Seems to me that what you really love is wandering in and bitching about features you don't already pay for and pointing fingers at Eric.

~ Sarah Kay

Wait...you "love RA," but don't use the forums and your log appears mostly unused, as well.  Does not add up....  Seems to me that what you really love is wandering in and bitching about features you don't already pay for and pointing fingers at Eric.

Feel free to look further back in my log. As I stated, I no longer use RA because of my issues with the App and it's been several months since I did. I'm not "bitching about features I don't already pay for", I'm suggesting a feature that I WOULD pay for: An app that doesn't suck.

Feeling the growl again

Feel free to look further back in my log. As I stated, I no longer use RA because of my issues with the App and it's been several months since I did. I'm not "bitching about features I don't already pay for", I'm suggesting a feature that I WOULD pay for: An app that doesn't suck.

I'm not in IT person so I don't understand the whole API thing in depth, but if you are serious about working on an app perhaps you could correspond about doing so with Eric.  Personally I've had no issues logging data on my phone here but admittedly I don't use the more complex log features.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Obviously nobody needs one but apps in this category are targeted at people who run with their phones--at least that's what RunKeeper and the Nike+ app seem to be for. In effect it could take the place of a GPS watch and a PC for a casual runner.

I wonder how many people are actually using HandRunner anymore and whether there's a way to get it pulled from the Google play store--it seems to cause more questions and complaints than anything at this point. Although, who knows, there could be a loyal group of users out there that we don't know about--there have been at least 10,000 downloads of it.

I actually downloaded it and used it not too long ago when I wanted to see how far some of my walks in the woods with my dog were. I was kind of surprised it was still there and how well it actually worked since it hasn't been updated since September 2010 and there have been about a million releases of Android since then.

Runners run

Hell, if he would publish an API for the site, I WOULD write an app for it.

I have occasionally thought about developing an alternative to handyrunner, but the lack of public API has stopped me.   Of course I do understand the reluctance to publish the API since it would allow for bypassing the ad revenue and allow for poorly written projects to pummel the servers with requests.

There are also alternatives to handyrunner for GPS track collection.  I use handyrunner when I run but if I am going on a hike and need a more powerful solution, I use OruxMaps.  You can export your tracks to gpx files and then upload them manually to RA.