How to run a faster 1/2 marathon? (Read 221 times)

belikedurkheim

Hi,

I'm a newbie to running. I just completed my first half-marathon, 31, female in 2:12. I loved running the race!  My next scheduled race is for May 2014.  I was wondering how I can train to become faster? I run on average 20-25 miles per week for the past three months. I used a "couch to half/marathon app" for the first race. Should I just keep increasing my mileage every week? What kind of workouts will help me to run faster? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Latent Runner

Given the respectable pace you're already running, I would suggest you keep your current training pace intact and gradually increasing your weekly mileage up into the mid to high thirties, maybe even higher.  When it comes to longer races, nothing beats lots of LSD (Long Slow Distance), errr, that is until you start finishing up near where the elite runners in your age group are finishing.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
      cjervin

Congratulations on your first half!

How I improved from a 2+ hour half (averaging 15 - 25 mile weeks) to a consistent sub 2 half runner with only a moderate increase mileage was:

1.  Reduced the pace of my easy runs and long runs

2.  Added a weekly tempo run (either 10k or half marathon pace)

With your recent half marathon time, you can use that to determine your pace using one one the on-line calculators, such as McMillan --

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate.

Best of luck!

running metalhead

Hi,

I'm a newbie to running. I just completed my first half-marathon, 31, female in 2:12. I loved running the race!  My next scheduled race is for May 2014.  I was wondering how I can train to become faster? I run on average 20-25 miles per week for the past three months. I used a "couch to half/marathon app" for the first race. Should I just keep increasing my mileage every week? What kind of workouts will help me to run faster? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Just one word "Pfiz!" Wink

"Road Racing for the Serious Runners" http://www.amazon.com/Road-Racing-Serious-Runners-Multispeed/dp/0880118180
          I PRed last year at 1:30:08 following a training based on Pfizinger's plans.

I follow Pfizinger plans for marathons, based on the other famous Pfiz book "Advanced Marathoning" and I wanted to improve my speed in the half distance so that I decided to use it.

The best about it is that it doesn't just throw a plan on you and ask you to follow it: It explains you the reasons for every training, the correct mix of speed, lactate threshold and pure endurance for every distance, how to do each training and at which pace, cross-training, race strategies... in just 185 pages you get all what you need to set up your own plan or adapt one of the ones that come with the book.

Another advantage is that many of the people in this page either use these plans or are familiar with them so that you can gets tons of sound advice about any question yu may have... you throw a "Hallo, I follow a Pfiz for the HM" and we will know..

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
          - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
          - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
          - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
          - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
          - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Hey! Thought I would throw my input in. I ran a half in May at 1:39 and just came off one at 1:24 and hope to run a 1:22 in Philly in a couple weeks.

The first thing is you have to identify where you need most improved, speed or endurance (maybe both). I would take your 5K time and put it into a calculator and see if it converts to your 1/2 time. If your half is behind what the calculator says, I would say endurance would be something to focus on. Up the mileage so you're stronger through the race. Also, one of my key workouts (IMHO) is the tempo run. It teaches your body to clear lactate acid more efficiently and mentally prepares you to run strong through a tough patch.

I wouldn't introduce a longer tempo run right away, I would start by introducing speed in maybe an hour long run ... something like 3min fast 1:30 normal pace. Where your fast pace is not too fast that you can't handle the off time. Be careful when you introducing faster runs though because you're body will definitely feel it and you want to make sure the next day is easy or rest.

There's other things you could play with like track intervals for VO2 max work ( e.g. 800s, 1ks, 1600s, etc.)

Again, be careful and I wouldn't suggest more than one 'fast' day a week to start.

You can take a look at my log to get some general ideas, just make sure you scale it down to your mileage if you use it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Mmmmm...beer

I went from a 1:50 half to a 1:28 half in five months by increasing my mileage from around 30mpw to around 50mpw and running about two dozen 15 mile long runs.  YMMV Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

This will help a lot too!

Dave, I'm actually running the Shamrock as well! First full??

I went from a 1:50 half to a 1:28 half in five months by increasing my mileage from around 30mpw to around 50mpw and running about two dozen 15 mile long runs.  YMMV Smile

Mmmmm...beer

This will help a lot too!

Dave, I'm actually running the Shamrock as well! First full??

Yup, my first full, very excited!  I'm starting a Pfitz 18/70 plan on the 11th, this will be my first experience with a formal plan or any kind of speed work, should be interesting.  I'm also signed up for a 50k in December, but it's a trail race and I plan on taking it pretty easy.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

That's awesome man. Good luck. It will be my first full as well.

I think you'll love speedwork, it breaks up the monotony of just doing the same run everyday.