"I ran 938 miles in March" DoppleBock (Read 1336 times)

In my next life I will be something of a jack-of-all sports 

Well let's not be in any hurry to get there, you still have some beastly work left to do in this life.  I'll consider myself lucky indeed if our trips to Monkeyville go as planned, and I get to shake your hand. 

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

DB

you make it all sound so simple & easy.  agree that it  is a matter of prioities & using time more wisely & efficiently.  still what you have done & still do is just amazing!

DB is quite amazing.

Since May, I've been working on getting back to training after what I consider to be a long and strenuous training period preparing for my goal race.  I'm still not back to where I was (both mentally and physically), but I'm getting there, and I'm getting ready to prepare for 2013.

As I was getting close to my 2012 goal race earlier this year, it was hard waking up in the morning, then doing a 2nd workout at lunch.  Realistically, I couldn't do 10 workouts during the work week (M-F) even though I wanted to. 

My problem was sleep and the inability to stop sleeping in the morning when my alarm clock went off.

Fatigue and adequate recovery are a challenge that limit me.  Eventhough I may have 2 hours per day (or more) that I could devote to training, I find it hard to do that day in and day out.

Regardless, it's very impressive to see what some of you are able to do.. 

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

DoppleBock

From a private message I sent to KenCanDo140  

I run for many reasons - But the goofy thing is that running that much keeps my life in balance.  When I do not run that much, I tend to eat and drink too much and actually spend less time engaged with family.

The one thing that does really suffer is the stuff around yard and house.  Lawn is a C-, house is a B+ and honey do projects are a D+.

Also I do not spend enough time with friends - I am trying to carve out more for that

It would not have to be running - But I am a physical person and I get great amounts of joy from a fair amount of physical activity - Running a certain amount keeps me eating healthy, drinking less and healthy, feeling very good and mentally happy.  This spills over into all other parts of my life.  Funny thing is - When I am not running very much and I am getting crabby, my wife begs me to go out for a run.  Each time I start to lose the self I want to be(Healthy - mentally and physically) running pulls me back to at least a center line of goodness.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

I guess my take is slightly different than DB's. It always surprises me how much time people are willing to put into their running without much thought or attention to what they could do to get better at it.

IMO, like Jeff, I come to running from a more competitive stance than a joy of running runner. With that in mind, I found out that many joy of running folk don't look to get better. While I cannot fathom that, I can accept it. Not all runners care to get better. Then there are some that hope to get better but don't know how to or can't put forth the effort.

That was fully off topic with the feats of DB's feets. While I think DB is a phenominal runner, it is more impressive to me what kind of committment he has. As I read his 2010 training methods, I was astounded by how well he could eliminate or ignore distractions. I doubt that many of us are willing to give up many of our relaxing endeavors like reading and TV etc.

TV is my big thorn. I am so drawn to that stupid box, harumph.

I don't know many of you in person, but a few I do.

Willie & Flatfooter: You'll never see them finish a race with half an ounce of energy left. They race flat out and have an amazing ability to sacrafice their body.

DB: He won't quit. I met him at the FANS event. When I got there, he'd already blown out his knees. Yet we still ran for several hours to complete the event. That's committment. Don S. also showed he won't quit that day.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
            Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

DoppleBock

From June 2010 - Until January 2012 - I ran for no other reason than it is what I do.  I had no committment to getting better  -  The funny thing is I still enjoyed running - I did a lot of races in half ass shape and really enjoyed the race - on a different level than being in top shape - but pushed myself with what I had ... January this year, I rededicated myself - As long as I am going to run, I should work at being as good as possible - Like everything I do, this is a longer term approach ~ looking to the April 2013 and beyond as my time horizon.

My issue & saving grace is I love to many types of race:  24 hour flat, 50 Mile hilly technical, marathon, 5M-10K and I even want to get better (But still hate) 5ks.  So I need to work on endurance, LAT, Leg Speed, Hill climbing strength.  This leaves my focus defracted, but adds to my joy of running.  I can take joy from a v02 max speed workout as well as 6 hours running on a track or TM.  From Running 4-6 hours in the woods or finding a nice hill and running up and down for 3-4 hours (Hill grinding)  So variety has brought a lot of joy.

Some day, I want to show up to a race and make Jeff or Spaniel look over their shoulder - Worried about the big horse bearing down on them - It might be a pipe dream - But boy would that bring me a great moment of happiness!

Feeling the growl again

Some day, I want to show up to a race and make Jeff or Spaniel look over their shoulder - Worried about the big horse bearing down on them - It might be a pipe dream - But boy would that bring me a great moment of happiness!

You weren't too far off in April, big guy...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

You could already crush me in anything that is truly "ultra." But I have my own pride and would never let you beat me from marathon down. Smile

DoppleBock

I believe at 170 pounds I can run @ 2:30 marathon best case - I have never gotten close, so it is just hypothetical.

I think I am currently in 2:45-2:48 shape at 195 and could get to 2:40 shape at this weight in 3-4 months of specific training.

It does not really matter until I close the gap a hell of a lot - It I start running low 16 5ks - You can start to think about what that means for the marathon as it will be off marathon training and not 5k training.

Why is it sideways?

I believe at 170 pounds I can run @ 2:30 marathon best case - I have never gotten close, so it is just hypothetical.

I think I am currently in 2:45-2:48 shape at 195 and could get to 2:40 shape at this weight in 3-4 months of specific training.

It does not really matter until I close the gap a hell of a lot - It I start running low 16 5ks - You can start to think about what that means for the marathon as it will be off marathon training and not 5k training.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts then we would all have a merry Christmas, indeed.

xor

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts then we would all have a merry Christmas, indeed.

When I was a young English-learning quasi ESLer, this specific phrase (along with "leave well enough alone") caused me real trouble.  Ha.

Yes, I get it now.

Go DB!

Why is it sideways?

I apologize for being 'cranky Jeff.' Spaniel has actually run faster 2:30.

I haven't been able to get to sub 2:30 -- even though I am obviously much more talented and capable of such a time, so it irks me when Dopplebock throws it off as a goal and associate himself with this time even though he hasn't held that pace (yet) for a quarter of the distance. Obviously me being "irked" at what someone does has pretty much zero to do with whether that thing is right or wrong or whatever.

Maybe if I ran four or five hundred miles a month I could do it.

DoppleBock

Exactly - Right now it is just a runners fantasy that is way out there and unlikely - Maybe impossible to acheive - That's the runner's dream

Turbolegs

I apologize for being 'cranky Jeff.' Spaniel has actually run faster 2:30.

I haven't been able to get to sub 2:30 -- even though I am obviously much more talented and capable of such a time, so it irks me when Dopplebock throws it off as a goal and associate himself with this time even though he hasn't held that pace (yet) for a quarter of the distance. Obviously me being "irked" at what someone does has pretty much zero to do with whether that thing is right or wrong or whatever.

Maybe if I ran four or five hundred miles a month I could do it.

Very un-Jeffy. Smile Not vibing well with the philosopher image of you i have conjured in my head.

I am willing to wager that even if 95%of the people on the forum had the time to run such monster miles at whatever speed they wanted to, to do it without injury (or atleast to do it without injury stopping you from getting those miles) for an extended duration of time is remarkable.

By the way, i am also willing to wager that your <2:30 is more a question of when than if .. but not knowing you at all and only looking at your log, its probably more a happy thought (i.e. i would be very happy for you if you did that) than an educated guess.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Turbolegs

Exactly - Right now it is just a runners fantasy that is way out there and unlikely - Maybe impossible to acheive - That's the runner's dream

DB ... given the quantum shifts you can do with your weight, i wont be entirely surprised if you could come down to 170. The question is whether its possible while protecting your muscle mass that gives you the speed and endurance. When you dropped from the 220s to the 190s, were there any downsides at all to your running?

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.