ITBS help! (Read 757 times)

Go Pre!

I have been battling this throughout training and my next marathon is 9 days away. I have been getting physio-therapy for it, which was doing wonders earlier on, but now it is as bad as ever. I will be resting for the next nine days except for maybe a short run or two to keep loose. but am still not sure how well it is going to be. So, my question is. Has anyone got a secret to alleviate pain on race day without popping vitamin 'I'? I imagine I already know all there is to know but if anyone had any luck with this, let me know! Dave

Lazy idiot

Dave, I had some mild ITBS issues a few months ago, and I started getting regular massage work from my wife (a certified therapist) on my legs. It hurts like hell when she works her magic, but it's helped tremendously. Not sure if you have tried this, but figured I'd issue my two cents into the foray. Looking forward to meeting you next weekend. Drew

Tick tock

I had some mild ITBS issues a few months ago, and I started getting regular massage work from my wife (a certified therapist) on my legs. It hurts like hell when she works her magic, but it's helped tremendously. Not sure if you have tried this, but figured I'd issue my two cents into the foray.
        I haven't had to use it myself, thankfully, but a number of my ultramarathoner friends have been making good use of the local sports massage therapists to good effect.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Along for the Ride

same advice - deep tissue massage. I had some recurring ankle issues which were tied to very tight calves. Deep tissue massage HURT, but it really helped. Don't schedule one too close to the race, you will be (or feel like) bruised for a couple of days. Good luck and a good race!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Go Pre!

Thanks, seems I am on the right track. My physio does deep tissue as well She actualll gets in there better than the sports massage therapist she sent me to! Now it's just a matter of resting until the mrathon and then a good amount of time off afterwards. I wish there wasa magic pill!
              I use a foam roller. I'm told that is similar to deep tissue. I know that it is very painful when you first start.
                I use a foam roller. I'm told that is similar to deep tissue. I know that it is very painful when you first start.
                So far it works for me. At first it does hurt. 4 or 5 cycles and I had to stop. Now? 30 with no problems. But I have yet to test my ITB on a long run

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire