Essay help? (Read 1025 times)

DH is working on a test and one of his essay questions has to do with the comparison of runners in 5k/10k races. The question is looking for visual differences between the top runners vs. the ones that come in last, and the differences between the training plans of the top runners vs. middle of the pack. Visual differences are easy to pick out, but I am more curious about the training plans. I wanted to get some ideas from you guys since there is so much experience and knowledge amongt everyone here! Thanks
    Scout7

Generally speaking, the top runners are going to have a fair amount of experience. They have been training and racing for a number of years. They will have higher mileage weeks than most, but it will be very balanced with higher intensity work as well. Obviously, some are going to get by with low miles, but oftentimes those are the people who have had a number of years of very high mileage. Consistency will be another key. The top runners are the ones who get out there, 6-7 days a week, every week, with some days including double workouts.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What Scout said. Top runners probably eat healthier, too...at least I know I run better when my diet is not crap.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Maggie & Molly

the way I look at it the tail end runners are running without any formal or outlined training. They just run so they are not necessarily the fastest or even trying to get faster at that point. They are more excited about finishing. When I ran my first 5K the winner came in under 15 - I absolutely could not fathom how that was possible. Now I know how it is possible (not that I'll ever be that fast) but at least now I get it.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
          Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I would say for the most part, back of the packers don't really have a structured training plan, although many of them run regularly. Certainly front of the packers have much more experience and have been running for a longer period of time. Their training is much more structured, typically with a very large base and big doses of speedwork.
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

I would say for the most part, back of the packers don't really have a structured training plan, although many of them run regularly. Certainly front of the packers have much more experience and have been running for a longer period of time. Their training is much more structured, typically with a very large base and big doses of speedwork.
              Not all the front of the packers have been running for a long time - there are always high school kids who are way up there. Some of those kids just have an incredible amount of natural talent. They do train hard, but they haven't been running that long.
                It's very simple. Fast guy training methods vary, but are usually something like this - You'll see the slow guys training look something more like this -
                  Not all the front of the packers have been running for a long time - there are always high school kids who are way up there. Some of those kids just have an incredible amount of natural talent. They do train hard, but they haven't been running that long.
                  High school kids can beat their bodies to death I'd say its more youth than talent in most cases.
                    What kind of class is he taking for which this would be an assignment? (Obviously, I am making some assumptions.) One guess: some back of packers are likely to have made recent alcohol-influenced bets that they can do a 5/10K. They will likely be in their 30s and may formerly have been in shape. Pure speculation, but it sounds good to me. Seriously though, I would imagine it comes down mainly to experience. There's probably a training plan involved for some runners of all levels, even back of packers, but faster runners have probably fine tuned what works. And dedication.
                    Kenotic Runner

Who cares about the differences. I think the important stuff is the similarities. Especially the smiles associated with achievement of a goal.
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

High school kids can beat their bodies to death I'd say its more youth than talent in most cases.
                        You have a point! Today my son (15) is running in a 4X800 relay at 10:30 am, a one-mile race at 12:30 pm, and a two-mile race at 2 pm! And his coach tells him, "I want you to run the two-mile in under 10 minutes." That would beat his previous PR by 12 seconds. Shocked Even over-confident DS knows that may be a stretch, lol.

The Greatest of All Time

Front runners typically have better genetics, likely have been coached at some point, have a lot of racing experience, and train and eat better. They also probably weigh less than a similarly aged back of the pack racers, although this isn't always true. From a training perspective, front runners typically put in more miles and do more high intenisty workouts and are less likely to get injured (which has some to do with genetics).
                          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                          Gig

I think Papa hit it. It's the similarities that are significant. I don't see many differences. In my group (Annapolis Striders), there are plenty of people who run every day, and who run training programs and really know what they're talking about, but who finish in the bottom half of the pack. Maybe is a social thing? The front runners are very social before and after races. Beyond maybe the first 25% of finishers, a great many are social during the race. (See Papa's pics.) Visual differences, though? That's tough. Runners come in all shapes, sizes, and paces.
                              Thanks for all of your responses. It was for an essay question on his personal training test. I found it interesting so I told him Id collect some info on it. Love the pictures too.