Compression socks (Read 1981 times)

vegefrog

Today's Schwaggle deal looks like a good one:

http://schwaggle.active.com/deal/4928/40-percent-off-two-pairs-of-compression-socks-plus-free-shipping/national

But...will I look ridiculous in compression socks because I am only running 10 minute miles? Are they only for really fast, really advanced runners? Have they actually helped anyone on here? My sister and I are training for our first marathon and I thought I might use this deal to get a hot pink pair for each of us. I wouldn't wear them to improve my times, but if they actually helped recovery after long runs or made the long runs more comfortable it would be worth it.

Any reviews?

Thanks Smile

I wear compression socks nearly every day while at work. I just get the Futuro brand and they look like dress socks so no one knows the difference.

I personally think they help a great deal with recovery. 

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I have a pair  to help support my calves post run but I can't say they make that much difference with recovery, unless my legs are completely trashed from training or a race.  

For me, the material used, does not lend itself to be a comfortable sock to run in.  Rather I have calf sleeves that I wear during marathons, after tweaking my right calf a few years back.  Sometimes it's just to keep my lower legs warm.

Will you look ridiculous?  Maybe.  Will they aid recovery?  Maybe.  But for that price, if you are curious, it may be worth trying them out.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

But...will I look ridiculous in compression socks because I am only running 10 minute miles? Are they only for really fast, really advanced runners? Have they actually helped anyone on here? 

Any reviews?

Yes, they make everyone look ridiculous. Not a concern.

All types of runners wear them, fast, slow. Doesn't matter. BUT, probably only those runners who have trouble with their calves should be wearing them. 

Here's my first review of some calf sleeves back in 2009. Since, then I've used them primarily only took keep the calves warm in cold weather and for recovery after long runs and speed workouts. Just wore them for the first time in a marathon and they worked great.

I'm definately a believer that they aid in recovery. Also convinced they work well to keep the calf warm to prevent a strain.

Lots of different makers/models. Friend tried 3-4 different ones before he found the one he likes. CX or CWX?

Get off my porch

jules2

Don't worry all runners look ridiculous so a pair of compression socks won't make any difference. I've tried them but the jury is still out.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Hey Vegefrog, I bought those back in May.  I like them and wear them almost every day. I have not had a calf strain since then. My sense is that they are at least helpful for recovery.  I do not run in them.  They are a little annoying to pull on (at first).

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

vegefrog

Thanks for all the feedback! Since the price was low I went ahead and got the deal. If nothing else the hot pink socks will match my obnoxious hot pink/zebra tempo shorts so I can really make a statement, LOL. I think I'll try wearing them after my long runs for starters and see what that does.

jules2

Thanks for all the feedback! Since the price was low I went ahead and got the deal. If nothing else the hot pink socks will match my obnoxious hot pink/zebra tempo shorts so I can really make a statement, LOL. I think I'll try wearing them after my long runs for starters and see what that does.

If you ever run in England let me know in advance so I can put my shades on

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

I've been shopping for them, and happened to buy them last night thanks to this thread. 

Gotta give them a try.

(and who said running was a cheap sport that only included a pair of shoes?)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I've been shopping for them, and happened to buy them last night thanks to this thread. 

Gotta give them a try.

(and who said running was a cheap sport that only included a pair of shoes?)

you know, you don't really need to buy the expensive ones. Futuro...Walgreens!  

http://www.compressionsale.com/activa-mens-microfiber-pinstripe-dress-socks-20-30-mmhg.html

$20

Just saying...

you know, you don't really need to buy the expensive ones. Futuro...Walgreens!  

http://www.compressionsale.com/activa-mens-microfiber-pinstripe-dress-socks-20-30-mmhg.html

$20

Just saying...

$20 x 2 = $40, so, I'm only paying $2 more than the cheap Walgreens brands... But, thank you for the advice.  Didn't know about them.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

$20 x 2 = $40, so, I'm only paying $2 more than the cheap Walgreens brands... But, thank you for the advice.  Didn't know about them.

Ok but how about the opportunity cost of typing that out?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

kcam

I bought a pair of inexpensive ones (can't remember the brand but they were $18) and wear them after running.  I also bought a pair of expensive ones (ASICS Kinsei - $32) with a gift certificate I won in a race and the biggest difference is that the ASICS socks have a cool design on them that people can see and KNOW that I am a serious runner.  The ASICS do, in fact, seem to be made of a little better material and maybe might last a bit longer but I'd go with the $18 ones if I bought again.

So far, after about 4 weeks of wearing them, I can't tell if they help or not!  I do have calf issues sometimes but, honestly, I don't think I can discern any tangible benefit yet.

Ok but how about the opportunity cost of typing that out?

I buy my electrons in bulk.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I look my best blurry!

They are expensive but CEPs are the only medical graded compression socks I've seen. They hold up very well too.