Athlinks redesign (Read 409 times)

+1

It's great for that, for us nosy bastards. Friends, acquaintances, famous people, whatever. Helps if they have a not-so-common name.

We just interviewed a guy whose resume listed running as one of his hobbies. I checked Athlinks & he came up empty. I was almost tempted to challenge him on it in the interview, but managed to restrain myself.

Most races I've run are not on Athlinks, including some well-established reasonably-sized races. Not sure where they get their results. Some new (5 yo) small races (<40 people) are on there while those with 600+ (and been around for 50yrs) are not, so it's not size. And I doubt that anyone up here worries about Athlinks to send results to them.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Best Present Ever

Their current Facebook status says they are still working on the upgrade and have not rolled out all the old functionality yet.

ETA:  I use Athlinks to stalk race results.  I stalk results from prior years, I stalk other racers, and I stalk people that have competed in the same events as me ("Rivals", on their website).  

yes I use it for stalking more than anything. They do have good customer service.  A friend of mine was annoyed that some of her trail races were mis abeled as road races (goddess forbid someone think she ran that slow on the road!) and emailed them.  Someone got back to her within the day and had it fixed.

bluerun

Super B****

Most races I've run are not on Athlinks, including some well-established reasonably-sized races. Not sure where they get their results. Some new (5 yo) small races (<40 people) are on there while those with 600+ (and been around for 50yrs) are not, so it's not size. And I doubt that anyone up here worries about Athlinks to send results to them.

Well, then -- why don't you do it, if you want them?  I always submit the results of any race I do, even if it's a huge race with thousands of participants, because if everyone thinks someone else will do it, nobody will end up doing it.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

ultramarathon/triathlete

I use it often.  Have for years.

WOW, it's really different.  I haven't looked enough to determine if I like it or not but my first impression is that it's very jelly-beany.

It shows my 5k, 5 mile and half marathon times and number of races across the top in a quick glance view.

But I don't understand (yet) what the percentage under it refers to.  For instance, it says 4.2% for my 5k pr (18:12) but my 5 mile pr (31:01) says 100%. Huh?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

Well, then -- why don't you do it, if you want them?  I always submit the results of any race I do, even if it's a huge race with thousands of participants, because if everyone thinks someone else will do it, nobody will end up doing it.

I think she was responding to the comment that because there were no results on Athlinks for someone who claimed running as a hobby on a resume, it meant the person might not be truthful. Not everyone cares about being listed on Athlinks or even is aware of the site, so just because there are no results doesn't mean the person is not a runner.  Beyond the fact that a race simply might not be listed on Athlinks, obviously there are also many people run and never enter races.  I know several very dedicated runners who have zero interest in running races - they just like running.  Smile

Kalsarikännit

Another thing I've always found strange is that in the list of search results, it does not indicate race distance. This is not always clear from either the race name or finish time.

+1. That always seemed strange to me.

They don't support fixed time races. Many, many years ago they said they couldn't list them "yet".  I'm not holding my breath for them to get these races listed.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bluerun

Super B****

I use it often.  Have for years.

WOW, it's really different.  I haven't looked enough to determine if I like it or not but my first impression is that it's very jelly-beany.

It shows my 5k, 5 mile and half marathon times and number of races across the top in a quick glance view.

But I don't understand (yet) what the percentage under it refers to.  For instance, it says 4.2% for my 5k pr (18:12) but my 5 mile pr (31:01) says 100%. Huh?

I always understood that to mean in the top xx% of the Athlinks members with claimed results for that distance... but that doesn't make sense if you got 100% for your 5 mile PR...

chasing the impossible

ultramarathon/triathlete

Yeah, I agree with you, that's what I thought too but the 5 miler threw me.  Maybe that's still being updated.  At first I thought it must have pulled in a different distance race in as a 5 miler, making me sound super fast, but alas, I think my 5 mile PR is listed as a low 6/pace, which should be easily beaten by anyone "superfast."   OR maybe it means I'm at the bottom of speed for 5 milers and I just need to HTFU and train to get faster lol.

Either way, I've been using Athlinks to track my results (and stalk people) for what feels like a decade now.  It's super useful to have everything all in one place.  I often shoot them the race results for small races that don't get added, and they get them on their site fast.  I think 90% or more of my races are listed (but some of that took me contacting athlinks).  All you need to do is send them a link to the race's results website.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

an amazing likeness

Yeah, I agree with you, that's what I thought too but the 5 miler threw me.  Maybe that's still being updated. 

Just an fyi -- the 5 mile 100% thing is there for my results as well.  And there's no way that's true for me.  I'd guess it's just a thing that need to get cleaned up sometime.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Yeah well my 5-miler is at 110% so apparently you guys didn't want it bad enough?

Actually that's not true. 5-miler is not one of the distances listed ... I get 5k, Half Mara and Marathon and my percentages (top x.x % of athlinks users) confirm that I relatively suck at marathons.

Also apparently Athlinks believes that cross country = trail running. However, Athlinks makes no special distinction for track races. Interesting.

I don't think I had been on Athlinks in 6 months before this thread and I probably won't go on for another 6 months but that was kind of interesting.

Runners run

bluerun

Super B****

Ha, I just went and checked... my 5 mile results are 100% too.

chasing the impossible

Quote from bluerun on 11/22/2013 at 4:43 AM:

quote from thelearnedfoot:

I think she was responding to the comment that because there were no results on Athlinks for someone who claimed running as a hobby on a resume, it meant the person might not be truthful. Not everyone cares about being listed on Athlinks or even is aware of the site, so just because there are no results doesn't mean the person is not a runner.  Beyond the fact that a race simply might not be listed on Athlinks, obviously there are also many people run and never enter races.  I know several very dedicated runners who have zero interest in running races - they just like running.  Smile

Correct. Why would I care if Athlinks has results for my races? I know where the results are for the races I'd like more information on. Up here, I have heard of someone asking about results on Ultrasignup, but not sure I've ever heard athlinks come up.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                          bluerun

Super B****

Quote from bluerun on 11/22/2013 at 4:43 AM:

quote from thelearnedfoot:

Correct. Why would I care if Athlinks has results for my races? I know where the results are for the races I'd like more information on. Up here, I have heard of someone asking about results on Ultrasignup, but not sure I've ever heard athlinks come up.

Ha, sorry, I misunderstood -- I thought you did want them.  I personally like to have all of them in one easily accessible place.  (Plus, I like to be able to race stalk people.  So everyone SHOULD put their races up there!)

chasing the impossible

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Another thing I've always found strange is that in the list of search results, it does not indicate race distance. This is not always clear from either the race name or finish time.

And apparently not all 5Ks are 5Ks. My 5K PB (of those races on Athlinks) shows on the detailed list, but another, slower time, is listed as my PR.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Walk-Jogger

And apparently not all 5Ks are 5Ks. My 5K PB (of those races on Athlinks) shows on the detailed list, but another, slower time, is listed as my PR.

And my one and only marathon shows up as a trail marathon race in the details, but no marathon PB is listed for me.

Retired &  Loving It