Start my program or delay it? (Read 531 times)

Timbodeener

Need some opinions from those of you that have utilized specific training plans for an upcoming race....I have never used one before. My niece has organized a "family" race day and talked a bunch of family members into running the Cherry Blossom 10-miler on April 6th. We have 6 of us registered for the 10M and 4 registered for the 5K so it should be a fun weekend and I am really looking forward to it. I've never been in a "big" race before and I think it will be a great experience. The farthest I've ever run is 15K but that was back in 1982 so I really want to do some "structured" training to try and have a good race...I know I should just be happy to try and finish that distance but I want to try and get a decent time....besides my 33 year old nephew/fly fishing buddy is running also and is already talking trash on how he is going to kick my butt (even though he has not been running for a few years). I am sure I won't be able to beat him but I want to make him work for it at least, if you know what I mean.... Anyway...sorry for long intro to my question.... I was planning on using a slightly scaled down version of a half-marathon training program I found on another site and modify it a little to fit my schedule and current ability...it is a 10-week program and includes some intervals, tempo runs and long runs of course. I plan on cutting back some on the distance of most of the runs since I will be going 10 miles instead of 13 in the race. I never in my life utilized speed work per se...just ran a little faster in some training runs when a race was coming up...so I'm anxious to see how my body and fitness level will respond. The program is supposed to start on Tuesday (Mondays are supposed to be "off days"). The problem is that I have been sick all last week with a mild flu that, while it has not knocked me off my a$$, has left me feeling week and muscles achy. As a result I have not felt good enough to run since last Monday and I have not eaten very well since last Wednesday. On the plus side I was still able to do some hockey reffing and bird hunting (why bird hunt if sick?...long story and I'm already rambling too much) over the last few days so I was not totally sedentary. I feel almost back to normal this morning and may get a run in this afternoon but I'm wondering about my training program schedule. Should I go ahead with it starting with some intervals on Tuesday or would I be smart to delay the program for a week and turn it into a 9-week thing? I know I don't have a great "base" of mileage (for you log peekers) but I was able to run 7 miles a few weeks back without any problems and the program I found said not to start it unless you can run 8 miles....but again it is a HM program not a 10M program so I think I'm good to go fitness wise in general... Thanks for your advice Tim
    Hannibal Granite

I don't know what specific plan you are looking at, but in my personal experience the last kind of workout I want to do after (or during) an illness is an interval workout. For one thing it hurts worse than it would otherwise and b/c you are coming off of an illness you won't be able to go as fast as you would normally be able to or you'll go as fast for the first one and then slow down dramitically. This ends up doing more harm than good both physically and psychologically as you're not going to get physically what the workout was designed to give you and there is the mental drain of having to work so hard for such little gain. So if you insist on using the training plan you found at the very least use the next week to get healthy and do some easy runs and start the plan next week. That being said averaging 15-20 mile per weeks and being able to run 7 miles one time does not mean you are ready to start hard workouts (intervals/tempo runs etc.) You are going to see a lot more gains long term uping your overall mileage and increasing the length of your long run. You don't need to do everything at an easy slow pace, a few times a week add some strides to the end of an easy run or pick up the pace a bit in the last few miles of a few runs.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Timbodeener

Thanks for the advice Hannibal Granite....I hear what you are saying about increasing my mileage before worrying about speedwork. I am just curious to see if adding some faster running and actual scheduled intervals will sort of "shock" my body into a higher level of fitness. Of course I know it could also "shock" my body into an injury as well if I'm not careful. My idea was to use the plan as more of a guideline and to start out pretty easy with the speed workouts for the first 3 or 4 weeks and see how I respond. The plan also does a pretty good job of increasing mileage from week to week as well as the length of the long run. I am going to take your advice and use the upcoming week to just get back to full strength and start the program a week later than originally planned. Thanks again.
          You don't have the base or the time to try for a "decent time" in an April 6th. 10 miler, especially since you are coming off an illness. Your best bet would be to skip the speed work with the exception of an occasional fartlek or some hills and just work on building your base and your long runs at a rate of around 10% per week. At that rate you'll easily get your long runs up around 13 miles and your weekly mileage will hit 35 a couple of weeks before the race. That will be plenty on your plate given your current status without adding speed work too. At your age I would recommend you be comfortable with 20-25 mile weeks before adding intervals or tempo runs. At that weekly mileage you'll have the necessary endurance and physical toughness to benefit from speed work with a lower risk of injury. Even then there is no guarantee that you won't break something. I missed what would have been my second marathon with a pulled hamstring that I acquired while running intervals in the 18th week of a 20 week training program. At the time I was 48 years old and running around 45 miles a week. Speed work is very hard on your bod, especially intervals. Tom

I'd put the program off a little and just work on base building for the time being, as suggested earlier. I always take it easy after an illness to make sure I'm recovered before getting back into intervals, so I think that just jumping into them when you aren't already used to them would probably be a mistake.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Timbodeener

Thanks for the advice guys....guess I'm getting a little ahead of myself with the training program. You have conviced me that I am probably in no shape right now to do anything but increase base and throw in a few faster runs here and there till race day. Thanks for bringing my expectations back down to earth! I've been having some foot pain lately anyway so I'm sure it would not help it to pound it harder with speedwork. Tim