How many _long_ long runs? (Read 869 times)

There is a race I'd like to do with my friends (the Dogfish Dash 5K and 10K -- none of them are runners, but it's (1) at the beach, and (2) involves a lot of free beer), but I have a 20 miler scheduled for that weekend. I have 2 other twenty milers and 2 nineteen milers (MTA: and 1 17 miler) on my training schedule. Do you guys think it would do much harm to miss 1 20 miler in favor of a 10K? Thanks!
    2009: BQ?
      I don't see any reason to not go do the 10k instead of the 20 miler. I have a marathon in less then 4 weeks. I'll have gotten a 16, a 18, a 19 and a 20 miler.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks Pam!
          Thanks Pam!
          Anytime! You know if your worried about milage, you can always get in a nice recovery run later in the evening if you feel like it.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

If your friends are not runners chances are you are going to be running slowly with them and some walking may be involved unless you are going to bust out and wait on them at the finish. You could always get out and run some before the race and then run the race. You may not get the 20 in but it would be a little longer run. You have two 20's and two 19's in your program so you should be fine- I wouldn't sweat it too much.
            http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
              You could always run the 10K, leave your friends in the dust, then run back, catch up with them and jog in to the finish with them. It wouldn't be a 20 miler but I would say that you are fine.
              "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW... WHAT A RIDE!!!" Muskingum College XC
              mikeymike

I'm surprised you separate 19-milers from 20-milers on your schedule. And I think the 10k is fine. If it were me, I'd do a long warmup and long cooldown to get 15-18 miles out of it, if possible.

Runners run

I'm surprised you separate 19-milers from 20-milers on your schedule.
                  Out of couriosity what do mean by that?
                  http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                  mikeymike

Out of couriosity what do mean by that?
                    Just that there's not much difference between 19 and 20 miles.

Runners run

Just that there's not much difference between 19 and 20 miles.
                      I actually wondered the same thing.

I actually wondered the same thing.
                        Oh, I was just looking at my training schedule (Higdon Intermediate II) and I was listing all long runs that I considered "long" long runs. ... no real reason!