New Saucony Kinvara? (Read 4691 times)

Right on Hereford...

I just did a group track workout this morning and every single person at the track (including myself) was wearing Kinvaras.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I just did a group track workout this morning and every single person at the track (including myself) was wearing Kinvaras.

and?  your review?

I have a pair of Kinvaras. I'm not a fan, really. They're super squishy and wearing fast. I like the Frees better.

Right on Hereford...

and?  your review?

Favorite shoe ever.

bhearn

I love the Type As for racing -- picked up the Type A2 when it was new at the Boston expo in 2008, ran 5 miles in them, and decided to risk running the marathon in them. I didn't regret it. The Type A3 was very similar, possibly only styling changes? (Which were for the worse -- I loved the solid red A2.)

I have  new pair of A4s, which I have only run 5 miles in. The heel is lower than on the A2 or A3. As a result, I guess, they feel noticeably less cushioned. I am not sure how they will work for me in marathons. Will find out on 7/4. Note that high / low heel is not the same as high / low heel counter -- the heel counter doesn't seem excessive to me in any of the Type As.

I picked up the Kinvaras at the Boston expo this year, and have run almost exclusively in them since then. They are almost perfect. Certainly, I can't see ever going back to the Ride, or any other full-weight trainer. Can't speak to fast wear; that's hard for me to evaluate. They do feel a bit flat this week, actually, but I think that is because my legs are not recovered from the 12-hour race I ran on Saturday (in the Kinvaras).

The one thing that is not quite perfect, for me,  is that the internal spider construction presses just a bit on my right little toe, building up a corn. So I brought two other pairs to the 12-hour just in case (Rides and A4s). But the Kinvaras never felt uncomfortable, and I finished the day with no foot issues at all.

I also used them in a 25K trail race a few weeks ago. I realized immediately they offer no ankle support whatsoever, so I had to be extra careful with foot placement, but again, I didn't regret it.

The one thing that is not quite perfect, for me,  is that the internal spider construction presses just a bit on my right little toe, building up a corn.

That's funny, it's rubbing on my right little toe too. Left has no complaints. I think my little toe is getting used to it though, or the shoe is breaking in a little. In any case, it's not enough for me to really worry about it and overall I really like the Kinvara a lot.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Prince of Fatness

I have a brand new pair in the closet and they will come out in the next rotation when my current shoes wear out.  So all I have done is try them on and walk around a little.  FWIW I like the feel.

Not at it at all. 

That's funny, it's rubbing on my right little toe too. Left has no complaints. I think my little toe is getting used to it though, or the shoe is breaking in a little. In any case, it's not enough for me to really worry about it and overall I really like the Kinvara a lot.

Heh, left toe.

I ran my first run in the Kirvana today.  It's narrower than the Nike Lunar Trainer, but seems to have more cushion. Not much more narrow and not much more cushion.  I prefer the NLT, but you know what Bob Dylan said. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

TRIing to beat the heat!

Initial impression after a couple of runs = I am in love.

Just FYI, I'm coming from Newton running shoes-- which I happen to really like and have been wearing for nearly 2 years now.  I've also usually had a pair of Nike Lunar "whatever-name-they-feel-like giving-this-year"  thrown into the rotation b/c Nike seems to excel at cushioned footwear.    IMO, the Kinvaras have much more cushioning in the forefoot & midfoot than my Newtons.  To me, the cushioning feels a lot like the original Nike LunarTrainers from a few years ago (the ones with the old-school waffle sole).  The Kinvaras are also extremely light-- as light as my Newton racers, but with more cushioning.  How Saucony managed to combine both is pretty amazing.  The Kinvaras are narrower than both my Newtons and the LT.  I actually wish they had a bit more volume to work with.

I'm a wee bit concerned about durability, as I'm seeing a good amount of wear in the forefoot after only a few runs.  Still, with the discount that I get from RW.com, they are fairly cheap and if I have to replace them every month, so be it.  Until the next best thing comes along, I'm in the Kinvaras. 

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

Apparently, if you friend Running Warehouse on Facebook you get a 15% discount code.  Every little bit helps, it's FB15.

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

How are people feeling about these?

After a few more runs, I think they are a good shoe, but maybe not for people (like me) with wider feet .  I do not think they are at all comparable to the Nike Lunar Trainer. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

mikeymike

I like the soles a shitload.  The uppers could be a little simpler--a couple things rub me the wrong way but overall not enough to really bother me.  Great shoe.

Runners run

xor

I like the soles a shitload. .

I have lots of shoes with soles that appreciate shitloads too, apparently. Damn dogs.

TMorin

How are people feeling about these?

After a few more runs, I think they are a good shoe, but maybe not for people (like me) with wider feet .  I do not think they are at all comparable to the Nike Lunar Trainer. 

I consider myself to have wider feet too and I like the shoe after about 25 miles so far but I am having the same little toe issues mentioned above.

Maybe its the thinner heel, but while I felt fine running 15 miles on Sunday in them, my calf was not happy yesterday in the Kinvaras. Nothing more than a little soreness, Need to transition a little slower I guess.